Nissan Juke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi a friend of mine is looking at getting a 1.6 cvt but is looking for opinions on it any advice appreciated , he currently has the 2.0cvt but is looking to reduce fuel costs but doesnt want to get one if it has any power issues , he does realise it wont be the same as the 2.0 but have any of you driven one and what were your thoughts on it thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi
Mine is a 1.6cvt and my previous was a 1.6cvt digt. i dont have the technical skills to give you a pro verdict on these but i dont think he will be dissapointed with either, the digt is a beast and power is never a issue, although fuel is. the 1.6cvt is of course not as powerful but once its been loosened up a bit 600+miles it runs very well, so much so i now dont miss the digt and appreciate the extra cash in my pocket.
I dont find myself sitting behind a QQ for very long

Sorry its not a very technical reply but i dont have that gene

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
I wouldn't have a 5 speed manual but I would have the cvt, I have not experienced it first hand but from the reports it seems to be fine, very time i see a cvt it looks like it glides along
Can't be much different from a 2wd cvt QQ I would have thought.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I've never had a drive of one but looking at the figures it's slower and less economical than the manual (even though that's only a 5 speed box). I guess they are set on another auto?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had automatics for more than 40 years and there was always a penalty to pay in terms of fuel consumption and performance. This was due to the torque converter sapping the power. Early CVTs got over this problem but were noisy and very basic. I drove a number of small car autos recently. Most were rubbish, but I was so impressed with the Juke that I ordered one and it should be delivered in two weeks time. Go and have a test drive, you won't be disappointed. It's quite lively,and very smooth as long as you don't belt it. For relaxed motoring it is hard to beat but don't buy it if you are a boy racer!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hi to an Elderlygent from a Oldbloke..i purchased my 1.6 Tenka CVT 2 weeks ago now, i have never owned an automatic before so didnt know what to expect. i am not disapointed at all.. it is a lot smoother than i had ever imagined, it just glides along, it is also very quiet. it is effortless to drive. i have been told that you dont get the same MPG as you do from the manual but for me it is to early to tell what my MPG is as i have only been tottering around locally and not done that many miles yet so time will tell. will report back after i have done a few hundred miles..Early days yet but so far very impressed indeed

·
Registered
23 Posts
CVTs normally give quite good fuel consumption, all depends on how and where you drive. I shall expect 35 to 40 mpg overall with 45 on a run and be disappointed if I don't. A heavy right foot drops these expectations considerably as do lots of cold starts and hilly terrain. Select "Normal" rather than "Economy", the later I found uninspiring and sluggish. If you need to floor the throttle, you will get "Sport" without having to select it. I had the loan car for 24 hrs and the reading was 34mpg over the 45 miles on test and that included a bit of everything I could think of!!!!!!! Hope delivery will be on schedule.

·
Registered
663 Posts
i have had my CVT since the 29th Jan, i have done 280 miles so far, only very local stuff and i dont hammer it and mine is only showing 30.2 MPG at the moment..maybe it needs a few more miles on the clock before i get a true reading or maybe i havent learnt how to drive it correctly yet?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I believe most new engines need to 'settle in' a bit, before giving the most economic performance.

Also, cold starts and short runs will use more fuel, thus decreasing the mpg overall.

Another thing is having the correct tyre pressure, which I found when, after a service, my car's mpg was suddenly a lot less. The tyre pressures had been set at service at 5 p.s.i. below the recommended!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Like me you have been on the road long enough to know how it should be driven. " Mechanical Sympathy" springs to mind. 30 mpg around the local area seems a bit low but should improve as the engine loosens up. Read your saga about delivery of the car, mine is getting close now and I don't fancy being messed about in a similar fashion. We will see.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Update with Oldbloke in mind. Had my Juke 1.6 Acenta CVT a month now and I am very pleased with it. Overall fuel consumption of 35mpg ie shops and local trips plus one journey of 100 miles, all mainly on the flat. That journey on its own managed close to 40mpg. Total mileage on the clock is 480 with the engine loosening up nicely. I drive in a relaxed manner but don't hang about on motorways. I have been retired for 30 years (took early retirement) so only drive around 3,500 miles a year. My last six cars have all been autos and this one is the smoothest yet.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Had mine just over two weeks, one fill-up brim-to-brim and it averaged 32 mpg with mainly short journeys (station runs) and no long run over 40 miles yet. This includes me playing with Eco/Normal/Sport settings (new toy after all).

Measuring the speedo accuracy with GPS, the speedo is running between 7 and 10 percent slow at all speeds up to 70 (highest I have taken it).

So with the speedo running slow, assume the digital info will / may be out as well (reasoning : speed limiter set at 50 digitally shows 50 on the needle). Therefore fuel economy may be a little better by 7% say than the fidures shown/calculated.

Jeff

·
Registered
663 Posts
thanks Elderlygent. i am beginning to wonder if my Tekna needs a trip to the garage. have just completed 1,000 miles and i cannot get it any higher than 31.3 MPG..i proberbly dont drive quite as easy as you but i am deliberately not hammering it..question for you Elderlygent, this is my first auto so cant compare but if i do accelerate at a reasonable rate the engine does seem to screem a bit and take quite a white before changing up, is this normal? im beginnung to think it isnt because it just doesnt sound right to me

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
My AWD CVT has never had a screaming fit (even when outrunning a maniac) and the changes are pretty smooth, whether on straight Auto or Manual mode. I do generally have a relatively soft right foot, but even when I stamp a bit, the gearbox dosen't seem to object. I was super-angsty with running in very gently etc, and I avoid supermarket [email protected] petrol, wherever possible.

·
Registered
663 Posts
thanks for the comment acrorat, so would you sugest taking it along to the garage for a check up? as i said, never owning an auto before it it hard to know how the behave

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
OB Acrorat cant compare to yours hers is an xtronic 4wd CVT and is a different box from yours. the idea behind a cvt is a seemless change. Its not like a convential auto. I have no experience of these myself so if you are unsure I would drop by the helpful dealer and ask for some guidance

1 - 20 of 34 Posts