Nissan Juke Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, quick question. I am about to fit the DRL to the Juke, see other post, and they look like they will fit perfectly either side of the number plate in the slot in the bumper. I will of course take pictures when I do it.

BUT before I hunt around for a power source, can anyone who has already fitted these tell me of a convenient 12 volt ignition controlled power take off under the bonnet?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

·
Registered
838 Posts
Hi Jeff,
There is a YouTube vid of a guy who took his supply from the fuse box on a Juke, but I'm sure there will be a source under the bonnet.. I need to investigate this also, as I've just bought a relay which turns them off, triggered by the side lights..my drls are wired straight to sides at the moment......naughty I know, but looks great!
I have mine fitted in the slot also, after my first effort with individual LEDs in the grille pockets rotted away, but have now seen the 80mm halo rings that fit on the fog lights, and was impressed with that look, so might give them a go.
Sorry cant be more help

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a few 12v feeds under the bonnet, but ALL are live all the time - there is a really easy to get to socket with a dummy plug to the front right of the engine bay - I assume, from the blank DRL relay position it is for the DRL which will be fitted as standard eventually. However, it is a permanently "on" connection. Grrrrr. Also other "spare" connectors in the mini fuse box by the front of the battery are all live as well. I dont want to strip the car down if someone has already found a connection!Photo of the light in position is below, they fit perfectly and all screws etc. easy to get to as well - most unusual.WARNING - the LED ring / angel eye is NOT waterproof or even weatherproof. I couldnt find any that were for fitting externally on eBay. They look good but would last 15 minutes. You would have to silicone seal the front and back.Jeff

jthspace2013-04-20 16:31:33

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hi Jeffif there isn't one in the engine bay, should be pretty straight forward to run through a gromet to the interior, and run off an ignition on only one in there?Someone did mention finding that gromet quite recently - but due to my failing memory, i can't recall which thread or what they were doing at the time... (Sorry!)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Thanks Jeff, realised that about the rings but for £5 i will order some and see what can be done.
The you tube guy even has a website with a guide http://www.drlkit.com/
Update on the rings, there are plenty of waterproof options available, superbrightleds even do a cover for the cheap ones, but will do some research now and hopefully get a quality bit of kit..Jukeov2013-04-20 15:13:42

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the edit, Deks, I was in the middle of reading the how-to post and someone came to the door - three hours later . . . . well, I have updated the post witht he right photos of the DRL I bought.Thanks to the others for pointers to the right place to look, more news later . . ATBJeff

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the link above is the dogs whatsits. Very clear instructions and, looking at the lights, the same as I have purchased (Ring on the vid, but not auto-off and needed a relay). Thanks for posting the link!Mine should be a bit easier to fit as a result, the wiring thru the door close area to the mini fuse box behind the left cover is a great idea. I have also ordered a fuse doubler as per the video and it is in the post (followed the ebay link in the video).In case people want to go to the site, here is a clickable link.I will take some photos when I do mine and post them up.Thanks againJeffhttp://www.drlkit.com/

·
Registered
19 Posts
if you buy a drl relay wiring kit you do not need to find a ignition live, the relay connects directly to the battery terminals so when the the ignition is tuned on the relay picks up the voltage change an turns the lights on, when the ignition is turned off the lights go off, there is a wire that connects to the side light to turn them off when the side lights are turned on, these kit are relatively cheap between £10 to £20.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
There is another thread on here discussing DRLs switching off due to voltage dips and surges from the direct battery feed.
Personally, i would always pick up from a shielded feed which has passed through the fusebox, and it appears in this case it might be a good choice...

·
Registered
19 Posts
you can find a ignition live in the fuse box on the passenger side of the dashboard, when you open the passenger door the cover is in front of you on the side of the dashboard, remove the cover and there is a empty fuse socket on the top right hand side of the fuse board, use a piggyback fuse to plug into that empty socket, run the wire through the back of the fuse box under the dashboard there is a rubber bung in the bulkhead behind the glove box, the wire can easily be pushed through straight into the engine bay.

·
Registered
87 Posts
trev wrote:if you buy a drl relay wiring kit you do not need to find a ignition live, the relay connects directly to the battery terminals so when the the ignition is tuned on the relay picks up the voltage change an turns the lights on, when the ignition is turned off the lights go off, there is a wire that connects to the side light to turn them off when the side lights are turned on, these kit are relatively cheap between £10 to £20. I presume that kit just uses your side light live to bring the coil of a relay in and out... but would you want them off when your lights are on?

·
Registered
19 Posts
trev wrote:you can find a ignition live in the fuse box on the passenger side of the dashboard, when you open the passenger door the cover is in front of you on the side of the dashboard, remove the cover and there is a empty fuse socket on the top right hand side of the fuse board, use a piggyback fuse to plug into that empty socket,(i cannot take credit for finding this live feed it is posted on this forum under drl's fitted) run the wire through the back of the fuse box under the dashboard there is a rubber bung in the bulkhead behind the glove box, the wire can easily be pushed through straight into the engine bay.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Easy enough to find a static ignition feed (one that does not collapse while starting the engine) under the bonnet then do the job properly with a relay & shrouded couplings/fuse holders.No need to go inside the car................if the car is leased, very easy to remove if needed at end of leaseDick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts