Nissan Juke Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd write this little guide about how to prep your USB pen, convert CDs to MP3 and store music on the drive for your Juke. I hope someone finds it useful.Note: I've written this guide for a Windows PC although some of the information is more general. Maybe someone with a MAC could add some MAC-specific info The USB PenThe pen must be format with the 'FAT32' File System. If it is not then the car will not be able to read from it. To be honest, I've never bought one that wasn't format in this way.Any USB pen will do, obviously the bigger capacity it is, the more music it will be able to store.If you wish to start afresh with a USB pen then you can format it yourself:1. Insert it into your PC2. Wait for it to appear under 'My Computer' 3. Right click on the drive and select 'Format' from the menu *** be sure you select the correct drive! ***4. Check that the 'File System' type is set to 'FAT32'5. Give the USB drive a name if you wish by entering the name in 'Volume Label'6. Click Start / OK to format the drive - you will have to accept the warning messages7. Once the format is complete you will notice the drive is empty and ready for your filesConverting your CDs to MP3There are many programs and tools that will do this. I downloaded FreeRIP the other day and it seems pretty good. The 'Basic' is free and does all you need. It will automatically get all the info for the CD (artist, album name, track info, genre, etc) and populate the MP3 tags with that info (so that your Juke will display that info when you play the song).Have a look at the options it gives you when ripping songs - the one you will probably be interested in is where it stores the MP3s and how it names them.You can buy the 'Pro' version but I don't think you'll find it necessary.
MP3 tagsIf want to modify MP3 tags then I think MP3tag is hard to beat. You can edit all the tags nice and easily, rename files to suit the tags, etc. Pretty nifty if you have MP3s that are not tagged properly. And it's free Copying the MP3 files to your USB driveThis is simply a case of dragging and dropping (or copying / pasting) your MP3s onto the USB drive. However, you might want to consider creating some folders to organise your files. There are some things you might like to think about when you do this:1. Too many folders can be cumbersome to navigate around2. Too few folders mean all your music is jumbled up, making albums hard to find3. You may want to organise albums by genre, age (60s, 70s, 80s, perhaps), alphabetically, or have a different folder for each person who uses the carA few other things to consider1. It doesn't matter if you have other files on the pen - they will just be ignored. However, it's tidier to keep a pen specifically for your car2. It might be a good use of old, smaller capacity drives, to have a selection in the car - perhaps for different people or occasions3. Viruses can be spread on USB drives so be careful what computers you plug your data pen into. Viruses will not effect the Juke, however

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, to add...If your pen becomes corrupt you can reformat it and use it again. If it does not appear as a drive in your computer you will need to go into the 'Disk Manager' to erase and recreate a partition on the drive so you can then format it and start again.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
MAC INSTRUCTIONS

The USB Pen

The pen must be formatted with the 'FAT32' File System. If you wish to start afresh with a USB pen that may be Mac OS Extended format, in then you can re-format it yourself:

1. Insert it into your Mac
2. Open Disk Utility
4. Choose ERASE, click Format - MS-DOS and name the USB drive differently, if desired
6. Click Erase
7. Once the format is complete you will notice the drive is empty and ready for your files

Converting your CDs to MP3

ITunes will probably have converted all your CDs already, however, you may wish to check if the files are MP3 or some other file type, which will depend upon how you set your preferences.

If the tracks are, for example, MPEGs, simply select them, right click and Convert to MP3 from the drop down menu.

MP3 tags

ITunes should have done all these twiddly bits already.

You can tweak ID Tags using a right click and selecting Convert ID3 tags from the drop down menu, if you need to do this.

Copying the MP3 files to your USB drive

You can drag entire music folders directly to your USB Stick, from your iTunes Library.

You can create New Folders on the USB stick by opening, right clicking and creating new folder (top option of the drop down menu).

Name the New Folders in the usual manner, by clicking the folder name, to highlight it, then clicking again to enable typing over the folder name, type your desired folder name, hit return, job done.

A few other things to consider

Viruses can be spread on USB drives so be careful what computers you plug your data pen into. Avoiding Windoze PCs might be a good idea

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Anyone using Linux will probably know exactly how to do it, so I didn't bother to add that .

·
Super Moderator
2,270 Posts
I would guess that Nissan (or any manufacturer) will make it impossible without some serious hacking so they can't be watched while driving.
chief constable Suzette Davenport, National Policing Lead for Roads Policing, said, "Regulation 109 of the Construction and Use (motor vehicle) Regulations makes it an offence to drive a motor vehicle on a road if the driver can see whether directly or by reflection any cinematographic apparatus used to display anything other than information about the state of vehicle, to assist the driver to see the road ahead or adjacent to him/her or to navigate to his/her destination."
actd2014-10-26 11:49:34

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's a handy little override you can do on the 370Z Actually if you are talking about the newer Nav (which I think plays video already??) then I expect the same trick is possible...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for sharing the tip!quick question! do you know if you can build a music library on your usb thumb drive?I've had an incident where one thumb drive was plugged in and the audio system read the music and built it's own library so I could navigate through artists/genre/album and such.The usb was too small for my musics though Then I got another usb w much more memory and it only reads by it's file name not the tags ...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,I have a 2014 Nissan Juke Acenta. I am able to get the console to recognise my USB stick, but every now and then there will be a song or two that does not display from an album. I've had a look at the way in which the songs are labelled and tagged, but there doesn't seem to be a difference between ones that do display, and ones that don't.Any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 2014 Juke (Invader), format all of my mp3 files the same and only a couple of songs appear available.I reformat the SD and load the EXACT same files from my computer and DIFFERENT songs appear available !?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts