Super Moderator
713 Posts
this is the first page in the manual.
< REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION > [LHD]
FRONT DISC BRAKE
BRAKE PAD : Removal and Installation INFOID:0000000006502192
REMOVAL
WARNING:
Clean any dust from the brake caliper and brake pads with a vacuum dust collector. Never blow with
compressed air.
CAUTION:
• Never depress the brake pedal while removing the brake pads because the piston may pop out.
• If the brake fluid or grease adheres to the disc rotor, quickly wipe it off.
1. Remove tires.
2. Remove lower sliding pin bolt.
3. Suspend the cylinder body with suitable wire so that the brake
hose will not stretch.
4. Remove the brake pads, shims, shim covers and pad retainers from the torque member.
CAUTION:
• Never deform the pad retainer (2) when removing the pad
retainer from the torque member (1).
• Never damage the piston boot.
• Never drop the brake pads, shims, and the shim covers.
• Remember each position of the removed brake pads.
5. Perform inspection

·
Super Moderator
713 Posts
this is the second page,
FRONT DISC BRAKE
BR-55
< REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION > [LHD]
C
D
E
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
A
B
BR
N
O
P
• Never depress the brake pedal while removing the brake pads or the cylinder body because the piston
may pop out.
• If the brake fluid or grease adheres to the disc rotor, quickly wipe it off.
1. Install the pad retainers (1) to the torque member (2) if the pad
retainers has been removed.
CAUTION:
• Securely assemble the pad retainers so that it will not be
lifted up from the torque member.
• Never deform the pad retainers.
2. Apply MOLYKOTE® AS880N or silicone-based grease to the
mating faces (A) between the brake pads and the shims, and
install the shims to the brake pad.
CAUTION:
Always replace the shim together with the shim cover when
replacing the brake pad.
3. Apply MOLYKOTE® 7439 or equivalent to the mating faces (B)
between the brake pads and the pad retainers.
4. Install the brake pads to the torque member.
CAUTION:
• Both inner and outer pads have a pad return system on
the pad retainer. Install pad return lever (1) securely to pad
retainer (2).
• Never deform the pad retainers.
5. Install cylinder body to torque member.
CAUTION:
• Never damage the piston boot.
• When replacing brake pad with new one, check a brake
fluid level in the reservoir tank because brake fluid
returns to master cylinder reservoir tank when pressing
piston in.
NOTE:
Use a disc brake piston tool to easily press piston.
6. Install the lower sliding pin bolt and tighten it to the specified
torque.
7. Depress the brake pedal several times to check that no drag feel
is present for the front disc brake. Refer to BR-55, "BRAKE PAD
: Inspection".
8. Install tires. Refer to WT-7, "Exploded View".

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I hate it when instructions start with the word 'never' - it usually means that I'm going to need the bit (which is never there) that starts 'but if you do...'

I've never had to remove tyres to change pads though. Wheels, yes.

·
Super Moderator
2,270 Posts
Just had a quote from Nissan for not much short of £400 to change front pads and disks These have lasted 26k miles - so that's 1.5 pence per mile for the front brakes. Has anyone any experience with alternative disks and pads - I want something with at least equivalent performance of the standard brakes, and ideally something better (and cheaper), that I can buy direct and have my local garage fit - they charge around £40 per hour labour and I trust them enough to know there won't be an issue that would cause a warranty problem.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Brembo Discs £110
Brembo Pads £40
1hr labour (at the very very most) £40

·
Registered
838 Posts
actd wrote: Just had a quote from Nissan for not much short of £400 to change front pads and disks
These have lasted 26k miles - so that's 1.5 pence per mile for the front brakes. Has anyone any experience with alternative disks and pads - I want something with at least equivalent performance of the standard brakes, and ideally something better (and cheaper), that I can buy direct and have my local garage fit - they charge around £40 per hour labour and I trust them enough to know there won't be an issue that would cause a warranty problem.

If you are able, take a look at the discs and pads yourself. This is a Nissan and most garages " license to print money scam" . I'm surprised they haven't told you your shock absorbers are shot. It's the old Kwik Fit rip off.
In no way do I want to compromise your safety, maybe they are genuinely shot........but I doubt it!

·
Registered
89 Posts
God ttdegs cutting edge humour
It's what keeps this dross site on its feet

If it were a real members site TomB what you would be advised is this......

Sir juke was right, the bits are not that expensive

My advice would be ( yes I am a FEMALE ! ! Weekend mechanic )...........
If you are comfortable and happy safely jacking up your juke and removing the wheels then this is probably as complicated as actually removing the pads and replacing them
Have a go !
Tools needed would be most basic
Jack , wheel brace, socket set, pliers

Realistically, this is potentially a really rewarding and financially giggly dead straight forward introduction to home servicing.
Google 'changing brake pads' speak to the world and not to 'JOG' as ' the JOG members' generally think that fitting contrasting mirror caps and strut caps is cutting edge modification

Or let's be politically correct / incorrect, do you know a mechanic that will give you an hour on Saturday morning ( and if not a polish mechanic ) tell them you will pay them £40 for an hour just to watch you change the pads
Come on you can do this (

)

And safely, and cheaply

The race team I am involved with..... The first job the juniors are trusted with is changing pads ( not fluid, different job)
Brakes are crucial but a pad change , you can do it

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
I would kind of hope that TOM B had his issue dealt with given his posts were about 10 months ago however actd has reignited it with a query of his own that seems to have been answered.Actd I'd offer to fit them for you if you were a little closer unless you fancy a drive south one weekendanyway I'm off to browse the dross site and search out some more clip on colour changes I can do

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Only Juking wrote:If a members site can't change pads then I despairI'm more than capable. In fact I have just serviced my work car and this weekend will be changing the shock absorbers Id have no hesitation in changing the pads if needed and would then happliy do a how to but as my car does less than 6K a year I cant see that happening so hopefully another member will do so at some pointIts probably also worth noting that most owners still have a car with in warranty so are relunctant to tinker with it thru fear of issues Not so many people are as hands on as you only jukeing and I personally take offence to your tone that others are boring and dross because how they see and enjoy things differs from your opinion

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
You know what, I'm going to say it...
There are people who are active contributing and valuable members of this "dross forum" who suffer from a range of handicaps, and could not perform very basic maintenance.

Perhaps worth thinking about when you're posting

·
Registered
503 Posts
how long has the forum been active

·
Registered
503 Posts
Maybe the forum of some considerable age should have a back catalogue of advice and expertise to refer to to help someone who wants to do very very basic diy maintainance
I am with only joking on this one, if we cant help someone change pads then it is pipe and slippers tim

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.