Nissan Juke Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
One of the disadvantages of a white car come the Spring and Summer months (particularly bad in Highlands) are the pesky fly squash and other bugs that adorn my paintwork.
So before they get into full swing I thought I would ask fellow members if they know of a polish or other product that makes them easier to remove.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I'll leave the actual product talk to the experts

But for any that have dried on, I always go down the route of a towel, soaked in water, and draped over the area for a good half hour or so.
This softens them up, making them easier to remove

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TT
It would take a hell of a size towel as literally the whole front end of the car can get covered in a very short space of time when you go through a cloud of them.
I get your method though, let them soak for a while before trying to remove them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I should explain a little bit more.
We have a Caravan in the Highlands and have to pass through forested and peat bog areas to get to and from it.
So unfortunately the car gets covered every time we use it.
So me being of the lazy disposition can't be bothered to be washing the car after every use.
So what I was really asking, is there a product that will protect the paintwork and make the bugs easier to remove when car washing occurs.Termie2013-04-22 08:20:08

·
Registered
790 Posts
nothing will stop it drying on but to stop damage and help stop it bonding too well a ceramic sealent would be my choice , plus because the sealent leaves a layer of crystal coating on the car if the bugs ect are left for a while they will only damage the coating which can then be polished off and started again meaning it wont be eating into your paint just the sealent coating if bugs and bird poo are left too long they attack the paint because of the acids in them and will actually etch into the paint meaning nothing but the removal of some of the lacquer layer will get rid of it so always remove them asap

·
Super Moderator
2,270 Posts
TTDegs wrote:I'll leave the actual product talk to the experts But for any that have dried on, I always go down the route of a towel, soaked in water, and draped over the area for a good half hour or so. This softens them up, making them easier to remove
Yep, that was the method I always used on my crash helmet in my biker days - amazing how many flies can stick to such a small area, and how I could see through the visor after 50 miles. For a larger area, you could drape a sheet over the area and then wet it down - the basic idea is to stop the area drying out, so do this in the shade.

·
Registered
867 Posts
No laughing, but baby wipes seem to remove insect marks exceptionally easily. A wipe with a wet chamois thereafter and spotless results. Undertook this very method yesterday after 130 mile round trip.

·
Registered
790 Posts
wolfs hard body is my regular (and previously wolfs body wrap) , hard body is the newer version easy to apply and remove , leaves a brilliant shine and great protection for upto 2 years but i would top up yearly , the bottle will do your car 10+ times so will keep you stocked for years to come

1 - 12 of 12 Posts