Nissan Juke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if anyone else has seen those incredibly bright LED lights on cycles - they use a form of LED from CREE Inc, and are very very bright.You can now get a W5W (side light) with LED from CREE which should be very bright and may (may) be a way of having a bright light on during the day; maybe easier than fitting additional day light running lights.Has anyone used them yet?Seen at various LED suppliers and, as always, on eBay.http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=cree+led+w5w&_sacat=0&_from=R40I have two small bullet lights, same principle, on my Yamaha XV525 as the headlight on that can best be described as "dim" due to the design of the reflector, even with brighter Osram +100% bulb. They certainly stand out and help cage drivers see me - along with a reflective jacket and f-ing loud 130 db horn. :)Jeff

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I see there seem to be two types, 6000K and 7000K - I suspect the 7000K ones would have a blue tint (which I personally dislike). I will go for the 6000K ones - after you have let us all know what you think of them!Jeff

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Await the pics. I understand that these will not affect the Can Bus as side lights dont seem to be monitored. Same bulbs for numberplate and reverse, I believe. A brighter reverse light is always good, especially if you have the reverse camera.Annoyed I have this trip to NY (see hobbies section) as the car arrives whilst I am away but then again, the pick-up will be so much sweeter. 13 days to go . . . . .

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
So my cree sidelight bulbs arrived today and are now installed. I mistakenly looked at the light while i plugged them in while they were on, bad move I now have a white light in my eye.Not sure the pictures will show it so well first pic is car with standard 501 on drivers side and the LED i currently have on the nearside501standard LEDCREE BULBSWITH headlights on
Deks2013-03-06 18:15:00

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, went to Marshalls at Cambridge this morning to pick up the Tekna, was wondering if it was going to be an updated (post Feb) version - NICE SURPRISE - it was. It has the Connect2 and the Armrest fitted as standard.Got home and decided to fit the new light bulbs - CREE sidelights and Nightbreaker+ bulbs.Put the W5W in the holder, they are longer than a normal bulb. Pushed it into the holder, back in the light unit and the bl**dy bulb fell out of the holder into the light fitting. Aggghhhh, well I thought, looking at the thing; two 10mm bolts to undo and tip it up and I should be able to get the thing out. Undid them, no luck, another bolt underneath. Could not see how to get to it. Booted up the PC, loaded the Workshop Manual, read that you had to take the bumper off to get to the bolt. WTF?Anyway, using a bit of brute force, managed to tilt the fitting and the bulb slid to the far end. Got one of those spider plunger thing-a-bobs for picking up screws in engine bays which I have had for years and never used :)Bent it slightly so it would go thru the hole and lean towards the bulb. Managed to get the bulb OK and extracted it.Bent the pins out a bit, reinserted into holder and gave it a blooming good shake - fine. Reinserted and twisted it tight - all good. Did the other side.Changed the headlight bulbs for the nightbreakers, dead easy. The Note I had was a nightmare as far less under bonnet space.So, had the car home for less than an hour, thought I might have to take the bumper off. Nightmare, but all O.K. at the end of the day. Luckily did not have to explain anything to SWMBOHave to say, although the CREE lights are quite penetrating, the light is all forward facing because of the way the lens is mounted. Will look to see if they do a suitably sized version with extra side mounted LED's as well so as to light up the whole unit.Name for the car? Well after some thought, remembered an early first person shooter called Duke Nukem, so think it may be "Nuke" - would be cool if I could get a matching font "N" and change the badge on the back.Jeff

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
hello jthspace,if you look on ebay for 7.5w T10 plasma led bulbs they are similar to the cree but you have another four banks 0f leds i usually get them from china or hong kong roughly £14.00 a pair take about 3 weeks to arrive.you can get them in this country but be prepared to pay twice the price if that helps.(i love led bulbs)
Gadget2013-03-16 19:24:17

1 - 20 of 99 Posts