Nissan Juke Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,When using cruise control, especially in those Average Speed Check zones on motorways, I like to know that I've set it as precisely as possible. On my Audi A2 the digital display was several mph less than the speedoeter dial indicated, and I presume more accurate.So, I was wondering where the current speed in digital display can be viewed in my Juke.Amy advice, please?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Although a digital display will be more accurate it will still read fast. The reasons are that a) they need to take account of tyres wearing down which effects the speedoandb) manufacturers err on the side of caution so they don't get sued if you get caught for speeding and their dials are proven to have read slowThe most accurate thing is a sat nav. I would use a Tom Tom (or alike) to calibrate the speedo.I have a 'speed camera warbler' that shows my real speed and the JUKE does seem to read faster than the 370Z. If I recall correctly 30 on the clock equates to 26mph in real life.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I now know what that means :(.

I have an acquaintance, just a couple of years older than me, who drives an automatic Jazz, having (to me) several bizarre driving habits, as follows:

Wheel feeding (what's that about?)
Handbrake hauling (really hard, at every little stoppage).
Seat height/angle and steering wheel height ((all well wrong),) exactly as the car was delivered, ten years ago!
Huge steering wheel lock (like, who would steal the thing?).

·
Super Moderator
2,270 Posts
As far as I remember, construction and use regulations mean that the speedometer can read fast (10% + 2mph maximum I think) but it is not allowed to under read at all. Manufacturers will tend to set the speedo somewhere in between so they don't fall foul of the law, and also the customer thinks his car is faster than it actually is (I seem to remember reading that the early MX-5s were bang on the limit for exactly that reason).

A satnav is generally very accurate on straight and level roads over a distance - round corners it's plotting a series of straight lines so there's a slight additional error, and the position accuracy is to around 10metres, to over a longer run, the overall effect of this accuracy is reduced. My old marine GPS was guaranteed accurate to 0.1mph and I used this to check my juke, which was about 3mph out at 70mph.

However, the Juke does know the correct speed as I also plugged in a blutooth dongle into the Canbus socket and checked the speed against GPS, and they were the same - which shows that Nissan do build in a deliberate margin of error.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts