Nissan Juke Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been offering to do my dads for years but hes the type that says "its not worth you wasting your time or products on my old heap" , anyway he is away for the day so i decided to sneak round and just do it and test out the desire the car : its an r reg micra in a dodgy blue colour :lol: , he bought it 7 years ago and done just 5500 miles in that time , never been serviced , never had a proper wash just a wipe over once a year before the mot , for a down trodden car it starts first time and runs like a dream but the exterior sadly left a lot to be desired , its got more greenery on it than in his garden :lol:first up was a full jetwash and snow foam using my brand new nilfisk 110 x-tragreat machine , tore through the moss ect with no trouble at allnext was a wash and then onto the claying after just quarter of the bonnet the clay looked like this45 minutes of claying complete and a full wipedown and onto the machine so out with my 3m rotary and megs 105/205 first up 105 on a wool pad then 205 with a g-tech finishing pad , spent about 2 hours on the polishing as time was short , the swirls were every where but poor light and just a camera phone meant couldnt get a good pic of it so just cracked on with the polishingswirls vanishing panel by panelpolishing complete its time to attack those nasty grey plastics using g-tech t1 , didnt want to wast4e c1/c4 on this to be honest but t1 is a great alternative although wont last as longtyres and rusty old steel rims treated with megs endurancefinally 2 coats of desire and the job is done , decided to remove the 2 remaining old hub caps and treat the rims , hopefully he will treat himself to a new set now it looking so much betterhope he likes his xmas prezzie when he gets home , i havnt told him yet so lets see if he notices it or just walks straight past it :lol:to do this properly would usually take a couple of days but the difference after just 4ish hours work was quite drastic

·
Registered
663 Posts
how could he not notice it, it looks like a new car..how lucky is your dad to have a son like you..my son is 25, lives at home and wont even wash a plate for me

well done to you, what a nice jesture to do something nice for your dad, i would be very happy indeed with that

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oldbloke wrote:how could he not notice it, it looks like a new car..how lucky is your dad to have a son like you..my son is 25, lives at home and wont even wash a plate for me

well done to you, what a nice jesture to do something nice for your dad, i would be very happy indeed with that

·
Registered
493 Posts
how good does that look.can you recomend something easy and quick to get the dullness from my red transit,it runs 7 days a week so something i can do too it in a couple of hours would be good,something to bring the redness back
cheers,gc

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
only thing that will remove oxidisation is a good polish (done by machine polisher really) , you can do it by hand but it would take more than a couple of hours , you need a harsh polish like a scratch remover if doing by hand meguiars scratch remover is a good one and pretty cheap , use with a applicator sponge pad and do it panel by panel when you have time , it should bring back the colour really well

·
Registered
493 Posts
ctrdetailing wrote: only thing that will remove oxidisation is a good polish (done by machine polisher really) , you can do it by hand but it would take more than a couple of hours , you need a harsh polish like a scratch remover if doing by hand
meguiars scratch remover is a good one and pretty cheap , use with a applicator sponge pad and do it panel by panel when you have time , it should bring back the colour really well

cheers,craig,will get the boy on to it,

·
Super Moderator
2,270 Posts
glencairn wrote:can you recomend something easy and quick to get the dullness from my red transit
A flamethrower perhaps? When I first saw this thread, I was wondering why you would bother renovating an old micra, but having seen the results I can now see the point. I owned one until about 5 years ago - was an excellent car for reliability (apart from a case of burnt valves - but that was due to an over lean mix on LPG and the saving in fuel more than made up for the cost of repair) - if that was mine, I'd have been delighted about the work you'd done on it

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks theres something extra special about a "turnaround" detail , bringing something back from the dead so to speak , we see lambos and f40s on a daily basis on detailing forums being done by big companys but you rarely see people taking the time to bring back cars that look otherwise ready for nthe scrap heapi posted this on my detailing forum and its had 2000 hits since yesterday afternoon and nearly a hundred post replies to say what a fantastic turnaround i did , makes it all worth the effort , most seem even more amazed at the time scale i did it in , call me speedy
ctrdetailing2012-12-19 13:08:48

1 - 16 of 16 Posts