Nissan Juke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car in for its annual service and two late notification recalls today.The service experience itself, time waiting for the work to be completed and cost from my local dealer were fine.Being quite a thorough (OCD) kind of person; I inspected my car pre and post service; (the latter on return home). All appeared well on the surface, but on closer inspection under the bonnet, I noticed immediately that the engine cover had been damaged/cracked.The cover is held in place by four separate plugs that engage into mounts in the engine bay. I know from my own experience that removal requires careful 'one plug at a time removal' and not 'grab and pull'.I returned to the dealership and within less than 5 minutes of being seated, the mechanic and service manager appeared with a new cover. Apologies from the service manager and lots of sincere apologies from the mechanic followed as we went out to my car. The mechanic showed me how he had lifted it from the front, 'grab and pull', which had twisted it and caused it to crack. A lesson learned.Whilst I am pleased that the issue was resolved efficiently and without quibble, I am annoyed that had it gone unnoticed, then I would have had no justifiable claim in the months to come. Customer service for me would have equalled a cracked and replaced cover within the workshop and my never needing to know.I have sympathy for the mechanic, but I could have been £xx out of pocket if I had elected to replace it months down the line. Knowing the Nissan pricing structure, I bet this isn't cheap either.My advice; remove the cover yourself before taking the car in for a service - I will be doing so going forward. This may apply to the diesel and/or NA petrol - I am not familiar with either.

·
Registered
663 Posts
a lesson learnt and advice to others to check your motor over as soon as the work has been done. thats what i will be doing in the future. thanks for that Darren C

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oldbloke wrote:a lesson learnt and advice to others to check your motor over as soon as the work has been done. thats what i will be doing in the future. thanks for that Darren C
You're welcome OB.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i agree they really should have replaced when he cracked it, you would never have knownmaybe the dealer was hoping you wouldnt notice & they would get away with it On the other hand some people wouldnt care less,wether it was damaged or not, so they wouldnt take it back. i guess its just people like us on here that look after & care about our cars who notice stuff like that. i took mine for its airbag recall a week ago and checked her over before & after it was done.i worked in main dealers for 20 years in the past so i know what goes on

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kimi, the mechanic made reference to the fact that he had noted it down. My view is that a higher level decision was taken to cover it up in the hope that I didn't notice. Unfortunately for them OCD was on the case.

I thought about speaking to the service manager and airing my dissatisfaction, but as the replacement was in place and ownership and apologies acknowledged, I opted to rise above it. As a typical Scorpio it will remain within my memory and I will be on serious guard with any future dealings.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lordharding wrote: Well spotted and good of the dealership to sort it out quickly without fuss
I'm sure they will recycle the part and swap it onto a customers car who won't notice it

Mmm, you could very well be right; hopefully at least some of us are now more in the know. Still extremely angry this very morning.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Has anyone noticed the plastic flaking off the engine cover? I went to check my levels before a long drive not so long back and noticed the shiny black plastic to be flaking off and crumbling to the touch. I think it's just the shiny coating but s little annoying

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My original was ok, but I had covered less than 3k. I guess it is heat related, but not a good cosmetic advert for the engine. What is your mileage? Regardless, I think I would take it to the dealer and/or speak to Nissan about a warranty replacement.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
i'm not surprised they wanted to cover it up,as i wanted one to get one custom sprayed and was quoted a princely sum of £377 to which the reply was i will go without.it looks as if it costs about a tenner to make at the most.i stand corrected but think someone has got there figures in a twist

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I think they have quoted for the main engine cover and not the el cheapo piece of plastic.i'm going in again next week will try plan "B".i expected thirty to forty pounds but that was ridiculous.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wow that's a cautionary tale. I can't understand how a main dealer could mess up like that.I wouldve been furious. The only reason I take my cars to main dealers and put up with the inflatedservicing prices is because I hope they will be experienced in the details of their own brand carsand how to remove bits without breaking them! I mean mistakes happen but don't Nissan train their mechanics?Anyway glad you got it sorted so quickly.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks SilverNismo; I endorse your comments fully.

I'm still toying with dropping the Dealer Principal a letter outlining my dissatisfaction with the cover up...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Darren C wrote: Thanks SilverNismo; I endorse your comments fully.

I'm still toying with dropping the Dealer Principal a letter outlining my dissatisfaction with the cover up...

Not worth it in my opinion
Job sorted
It's like a resturant

Complaine and the chef might out something nasty in your food

That's why I just don't go back to a dodgy food establishment

The mechanic could loose his job and he maybe has a wife and kids to support hopefully he has learned his mistake

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fair point LH; I just don't like the idea that this sort of behaviour is allowed to become an excepted norm and that an unsuspecting customer could be caught out going forward.

The lack of inaction on my part when I was afforded the replacement was for the very reasons you raise.

Darren

1 - 20 of 28 Posts