Nissan Juke Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a guide to doing your own oil change on the 1.6 petrol NA Juke. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was. Everything is easily accessible from beneath the car.Shopping list5ltrs of Fully Synthetic 5w30 oil (the Juke takes 4.3lts) - this one was less than £29 from my dealer but you can get some great deals from Opie OilsNew oil filter - I used a K&N HP1008 (approx £11). Nissan ones are about the same priceOil Sump Washer - about £2 from your Nissan dealerTools14mm Socket and racket (you might get away with using a 14mm spanner)Something to drain the oil intoSome rags or paper clothAn oil filter wrench to remove the old filter (optional) - mine was £10Some wood to drive the Juke onto for more ground clearance (optional)A funnel to prevent spilling oil down your engine (optional)Something to lie on under the car (optional)TimeLess than an hour (30 mins if you have everything ready and are quick)Skill LevelBeginner

Paul_S2012-01-07 16:31:07

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Identifying the partsHere are the bits you will be playing with today...Oil filler capOil filter (viewed from above)Oil filter (viewed from beneath)Oil drain plug (sump plug)

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Getting startedThere is no need to jack up the car but a little extra ground clearance would not go amiss. I drove the Juke onto a couple of planks of wood:Obviously make sure the hand brake is on firmly before getting under the car.Draining the old oilLeave the engine running to get the oil warmed up. This is so it is less viscus and will drain easier. Note: do not get the engine up to full temperature as the oil will burn you! I tested the heat of the engine by regularly touching the sump to see when it was getting warm.Switch off the engine and get the oil drain ready. Loosen the sump plug using a 14mm socket. Unscrew the rest of the way by hand and be prepared for the oil to shoot out when it is released. As the oil runs out you may need to move the oil drain to catch the drips.Replacing the sump plug washerThe sump plug looks like this. Notice the copper washer squashed tight to the plug and compare it to the new washer next to it:Whilst the oil is draining, remove the old washer and put on the new. I had to use a knife to lever the old washer up:Here is the new washer fitted with the old washer beside it:Note: It is important to replace the washer. If you do not then you run the risk of having and oil leak.Next, wipe off any oil from the drain hole and sump then replace the sump plug and tighten up with your 14mm socket.In the past I have replaced the sump plug with a magnetic one to catch any small metal particles but I did not do that on this occasion.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replacing the oil filterLoosen the oil filter (a proper wrench is very handly for this). Again, unscrew the filter the rest of the way by hand and be prepared for some oil to run out:Here are the old and new filters side by side:I always use the K&N HP1008 filter (same as on the 370Z) as it claims to filter the oil better and not be so restrictive as the original Nissan part. Also, it has a handy nut that makes it easier to remove:I always part fill the new filter with oil to prevent wear the first time you start the engine following an oil change. I also wipe a little fresh oil around the rubber seal to make tightening the filer easier:Wipe down any old oil from the engine and screw on the new filter. Do not over tighten it. I just do it up hard by hand which is plenty.The new filter is now in place:

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nearly doneDouble check you have fitted and tightened the new filter and sump plug.Next, poor the fresh oil into the engine. Be careful not to over fill it as the car takes 4.3ltrs and the oil can holds 5ltrs.My oil can had a level indicator so I left 1ltr in at the can at this point.Refit the oil filler cap and start the car. With the engine running, check for leaks. There should be none!Drive the car off the wood to get it back onto level ground and turn off the engine. Clean & tidy away your tools whilst the engine oil settles down. Finally, check the oil level and top it up to the full mark.Here is a before and after shot of the dip stick - note that this was the first change for this Juke at it had done 6,000 miles. Old:New:Nissan say you can go 18,000 miles (or 1 year) between changes on the 1.6 engine but I'm a bit old school when it comes to oil and like to do an intermediate change for piece of mind.Job done!

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Only thing I have to say on this is, I would recommend if anyone does this they use a genuine oil filter other any issues and the dealer will void the warranty as no standard filter fitted obviously only on related engine issues,

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, maybe. I think you could well argue that any part that is the same or better specification that the standard part would not void the warranty but I know where you are coming from.When I get my 370Z serviced I always supply the oil and filter and my dealer told me there would be no warranty issues.I have just updated the first post to make clear that the oil type and capacity stated is for the 1.6 Petrol NA engine. It will differ for the others.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
well glad your day worked out mine has been not so productivedone the headgasket on a 206 didnt cure the problem an found another issue aswell first of the fan wasnt cutting in and when it did it went the wrong way after nearly taking off my finger solved that problem now got to take the engine out and change it on Monday customer is waiting for the car

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry to hear about your woes mate.I know someone who needs a fuel pump for a clio - can you PM me your details so I can pass them onto him?

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
sort of expected it just hoped for the quick cure, I dont do Clio's although I know someone who is breaking a 2001 1.4 my number is 07704422905 I can ask the question if required

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
7 Posts
To clarify oil grades for Juke owners, below is Nissan's Official Guidlines.

JUKE
Petrol
HR16DE Nissan Motor Oil 10W40
MR16DDT (2WD) Nissan Motor Oil 5W30 Ester or Nissan Motor Oil 5W40
Diesel Nissan Motor Oil 5W30 DPF

Note for Paul_S - Thanks for noticing the error, cutting and pasting in a hurry is never good. I got the service shedule correct though

The oil in our kits are suitable for the models, as specified by the manufacturer.

Hope this helps!

Glyn Hopkin Online Parts Shop
E-mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
19 Posts
A good, comprehensive description. Well done!It might be worth emphasising that the squashable drain plug washer needs to be fitted the correct way round, as you rightly show in your photo. The thick side should be fitted next to the drain plug, and the thin side next to the sump.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.