Nissan Juke Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, just thought i would post a note regarding my visit to the factory in Sunderland today, firstly many thanks go to Steve for giving me the chance and opportunity to visit.firstly, anybody who buys a new or even a used car would really apreciate it a lot more if you saw close up how a car is built along the line, i have seen the operation at Jaguar before so i had some idea of the process, but at nissan you actually see the process from a flat sheet of metal, which is pressed by some enormous press that can be changed over in about 7 minuites to produce another panel, and beleive me these machines are massive, then you see all the panels welded together by many robots along the bodyshop line, the only process we couldnt see today was the paint shop, this was due to the new models being in there, having been fed and watered in the huge canteen and again i mean huge, and as the factory employs about 6000 people it has to be huge, we then continued our tour on the trim line, its amazing to see how quck components are added to the vehicles, a complete dashboard can be fitted in under 59 seconds, try removing one at a dealer and you need at least half a day, its amazing how quick the car becomes complete as it travels around the line with the complete assembled engine and front axles assembly again fitted in seconds, the whole operation from picking the bodyshell up to adding fluids at the end is all computer gererated and each part is picked ready to fit as the car travelles along, and this can include different spec and left or right hand drive on the same line, very clever stuff.it all ends with the final check through a computer to ensure everything is working and placed on a rolling road to check engine and gearbox are ok.the whole plant is massive with massive stocks of parts ready to be assembled and is a real eye opener.if anyone ever has the chance to visit, it is well worth the trip and you will come away with a new perspective and love for your nissan.thoroughly recommend.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Glad you hada great sorry I couldnt be there myself was busy elsewhere. Couldnt see the paint shop due to new models. That sounds to me like the new QQ must be in there. The other new models due are already on public view so no need to disguise So I would guess the test bed vehicles in disguise will shortly be on the roads around Europe. Just my thoughts I might addI would say that if they are starting to put the new secret model together then its very likely the factory will close to visits for a while, they do this when new cars are about to protect the identity of it which is fully understandable Not sure if we will get the opportunity again but you never can tell.
Deks2013-04-12 13:54:16

·
Registered
136 Posts
Definitely something I'd like to do sometime!! Had the good fortune to be in the Aston Martin Factory in Gaydon the other day for an IT thing and it included a tour. Sounds like a very different place to Nissan from what you described and still a lot of manual workers screwing things in and not many machines at all. Certainly a pretty place to be but then so is the Nissan Factory where our Jukes are born (and hopefully mine will start to be soon!!!).

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Just had a chat with someone at Nissan, apparently the recent visit was lucky as new models are coming on stream and were infact in the paint shop during the visit I hear, when this happens they do close the factory to visits. I also understand that no pictures were allowed to be taken which is a change to when I went a year and a bit ago Anyway I can say that there will be no more tours this year I will look into the possiblity of a tour next year if they are still being offerednext year could also prove tricky as the new QQ is due then and possibly the new focus rival will be lurking around that time.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes you are correct Deks, the paintshop was off limits due to the new QQ being in there on the day, and all photos were banned for the same reason, was still a fantastic day to enjoy especially seeing JUKE's being built, Many thanks for arranging the tour, very much apreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts