Nissan Juke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,Below I have tried to write an "idiots guide" on fitting LED illuminated door sills that light when you open the doors of the car, this method could also be used to wire up LED footwell lights that illuminate when the doors open. so here we go;Step 1: You'll need some Tools;Soldering IronSolderElectricians Insulating TapeStanley BladeA Phillips screw driverA 10mm socket wrench PatienceStep 2: Pop the bonnet and remove the negative from the battery, make sure you have your radio code to hand as you will need this to reset the radio when the battery is reconnected (this should be on a little card in with the vehicle handbook)Step 3: Removal of interior trim panels for routing of cables and access:Sill's (both sides)Kick plates (both sides)Center console kick plate (both sides)Drivers side lower panel beneath the console, All these panels are really easy to remove, the sills and kick plates just effectively pull off as they are on clips, the center console kick plates are on press stud pins, to remove these simply turn the stud with a screw driver and it will pop out, the panel can now be removed easily.Once all the panels are removed store them and the fittings in a safe place, I used the cup holder to hold all the push bolts and placed the panels on the back seat.Step 4: Removal of the Glove boxThe glove box is effectively in 2 parts, there is a lower panel that must be removed first, this is again only on push clips so can be gently pulled off, to do this get your head under the glove box and simply pull the lower panel away, now to remove the glove box itself, the glove box is held in place by only 8 screws, 4 along the top and 4 along the bottom, remove the bottom ones first whilst the glove box is closed, store these in the cup holder for safe keeping, now to remove the top screws open the glove box and locate the screws along the upper shut line. undo these and store in the cup holder once again. Now pull the glove box towards yourself until it comes free, do this slowly as the airbag on/off switch is still connected.Now to remove the airbag on/off switch connector, use a flat head screwdriver to push the clip in on the connector and remove from the socketStep 5: Locating the BCM (body control module)With the glove box out the way the BCM should now be accessible, see photo below:We are going to wire to the top connector on this module, to remove the connector squeeze both sides and pull it towards yourself, it should unplug easily, now we need to wire to ports 2 and 5 across the top strip of the connector, Pink wire (port 2) and the brown wire (port 5), we use the pink wire for a live and the brown for ground. Start by striping back some of the tape up to the connector to make the individual wires more accessible, then starting with the pink wire use a Stanley knife to strip back about 6mm of the insulation, so this slowly as you do not want to cut the copper core of the cable.once the insulation is stripped take the live cable that came with the door sills or LED foot well light set and strip some of the insulation from the end, connect the cables together by wrapping the cores together, now to finish the connection use a soldering iron and some solder to seal the joint, wrap the joint in insulating tape to finish.Repeat this process for the ground cable connecting to the brown wire (port 5) on the connector. Now the connections are made, before refitting any of the glove box reconnect the battery and check the connection, I just plugged the sills in whilst on the passenger seat, if the sills light when the doors are open your good to go!now route the cables to either side of the car:for the passenger side route behind the kick plate and under the sill, run the wires under the door seal and to the exterior sill, make your connection to the illuminated sill by plugging in the connector, Replace the kick plate and sill panels to finish this side.for the drivers side route the cable behind where the glove box will be refitted and through the center, now you will see why we removed the center console kick plates at the beginning, route under the steering wheel where we removed the panel earlier, re fit this panel to trap the cable, now refit both the center console kick plates. Route the cables again behind the kick plate and under the sill, run the wires under the door seal and to the exterior sill, make your connection to the illuminated sill by plugging in the connector, Replace the kick plate and sill panels to finish this side.Now refit the glove box and your done!Sorry about the lack of photo's on the putting it all back together and routing the cables my battery died half way through the install.Hope someone finds this helpfull :)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Great work and write up there

Although you lost me at the first and last lines of "things you will need"
Both are in short supply at my house

·
Registered
790 Posts
great review , does the juke have footwell light ??? , if it does theres a much quicker way but not as professional as yours jukey on the qq we just run the wires from each sill plate just under the footwell each side and scotchlock them to the footwell lights wires , save removing the glovebox ect ect

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe some models may have foot well lights fitted as an optional extra, mine did not so had to do it the way I have above, and i would hardly call it professional ha ha I really need to work on my Soldering Skills, but yeah i guess its not a bad job, The great thing is on the loom that came with the sills there is an additional socket which i plan to break off from again to add LED foot well lights which again will illuminate when the doors open. just a nice white glow will finish it off nicely i think.

·
Registered
790 Posts
sounds great i used strip under car leds in my qq to add to the footwell lights for more light , there remote keyfob operated but come on when the door is opened as standard then i can play with the settings and colours if i choose but have kept mine as plain white (i can have 5 different colours)just £8 from china

·
Registered
445 Posts
hi great write up on fitting, were they genuine nissan ones you fitted or aftermarket, i have seen some on ebay for about 55.00 just wondered if they were the same ones for the wiring, genuine nissan ones are about 150.00 so i wont be having them.

·
Registered
445 Posts
hi YoungJukey, yours are the same ones i was looking at on ebay then, i have been offered oem ones for 112.00, but dont think its worth the extra cash as yours work and look as good to me.did you have to wire both sill plates to the bcm wires or does one connection feed both sill plates? cheers phil

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
YoungJukey wrote: I believe some models may have foot well lights fitted as an optional extra, mine did not so had to do it the way I have above, and i would hardly call it professional ha ha I really need to work on my Soldering Skills, but yeah i guess its not a bad job,
The great thing is on the loom that came with the sills there is an additional socket which i plan to break off from again to add LED foot well lights which again will illuminate when the doors open. just a nice white glow will finish it off nicely i think.

I'm going to pour over the wiring diagrams tonight, to check, but is the loom (including the option to add footwell lights) not present in any case?
I would have expected to be able to just connect up. I would expect that there are not several different looms, depending upon configuration.
(Where are our Juke builders?)
If not, can the feed not be picked up from the door swich wiring rather than stripping half of the dash back? Or at least a permanant feed with a relay to the interior light feed (like the DRLs)?
I'm not incompetent, I just find that the less I have to strip down, the less I am likely to break this is also why the "how-to" guides are so useful !!

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
It might be my misunderstanding, but I was of the impression that if you purchased the Nissan footwell or door sill illumination kits they were plug and play. If it was me I would ask your friendly Nissan parts supplier as I am sure they would be able to tell You. of course if you are buying non genuine then the plugs are not likely to be the same. As I say I may be wrong but worth a check.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I need to double check, but i`m sure i just popped my interior light out and bought both wires along the inside of the headlining, down the A pillar and down under the dash,spurred off a few times and went across into the passenger side, did the same. Then all my footwell,cup holders and illuminated sills went into this circuit. Doors open lights on, ignition dims them off. Jobs a good un`

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Jukeov wrote: I need to double check, but i`m sure i just popped my interior light out and bought both wires along the inside of the headlining, down the A pillar and down under the dash,spurred off a few times and went across into the passenger side, did the same. Then all my footwell,cup holders and illuminated sills went into this circuit. Doors open lights on, ignition dims them off. Jobs a good un`
Thats what I was thinking, I just wondered if the loom might already be in situ for footwell lights to connect.
(I took a stab at some evil bay cheap DRLs but would not entertain fitting the where people could see them, or they might get wet. Waste not want not, so they are going in the footwells this weekend...)
Bought Halfords DRLs yesterday so its going to be a fun saturday

·
Registered
99 Posts
I hanvt seen any mention of soldering in the the instructions ive seen floating around, would that be cause these are after market entry guards and the Nissan ones are play and play?
r3hxn2013-05-17 11:48:58

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Cr4zyhorse Whilst looking around the net & here at the owners club I have read in the mail below that "you will be Going to pore over the wiring diagrams" Can I ask you where you managed to pick up the wiring diagrams from? as I have looked to find some, but to no avail!! I have been also trying to find out which bulbs go where, (either that or have to take them all out individually) to this end I have today spoken to Westway Nissan of Rochdale and I am going in to see the parts manager tomorrow, to ascertain the Bulb Specs. It does seem though that at Nissan they only have part No's and so we are going to obtain the parts from their bin's so that I can write down all the relevant Bulb detail's. I realise it's all a ball-ache but seems to be the only thing that I can do!! I have though also ordered a Juke Manual on CD of e-bay, but that hasn't arrived yet and I'm getting itchy fingers, trying to do my desired mod's. Gotta say that my belief would be as yours is that all Juke's would have the same wiring loom & that they would omit any piece of equipment not supplied when initially ordered (sill LED's etc). hope so anyway! as I'm looking to put these on our's.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good guide :)

Used it today. On facelift juke the pins are along bottom of connector.

Also the BCM looks slightly different. Its the white plug on the left just above the black plug.

Hope that helps the facelifters :)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Bobski wrote:Hi Cr4zyhorse Whilst looking around the net & here at the owners' club I have read in the mail below that "you will be going to pour over the wiring diagrams". Can I ask you where you managed to pick up the wiring diagrams from, as I have looked to find some, but to no avail!!
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nissan-juke-factory-service-manuals.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts