Nissan Juke Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a press release from Nissan to which I have sent an email to Juke product managerthe new limited edition MoS Juke is to be fitted with stop start technology so I have asked if this is being rolled out across the range. Obviously I have only just asked so should get an offical response in the next couple of days.

·
Super Moderator
2,270 Posts
Having driven my wife's ASX with Stop/Start, I'm not a massive fan and in heavy slow moving traffic, I tend to switch the system off otherwise it's stopping and restarting every few seconds. Hybrid seems a much better idea for that - using electric motors which are always on but now using power unless being used.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have never tried stop/start, I would imagine it must take some getting used to, does it not wear the starter motor and finnish off the battery quicker ?. Less fuel used good for the environment and pocket, against replacement of parts more regularly which have to be manufactured damaging the environment and pocket, or have I got that wrong ?.Tc

·
Registered
790 Posts
had it on a recent courtesy car (top of range passat) , was great but im guessing if in traffic all that stop start may be wearing something , i dont actually know if its the starter motor as when it refires its not like starting the car where you hear the starter turn a couple of times , this just seems to kick straight back in without any noise but im no expert so would be interested to know how it works exactly
ctrdetailing2012-08-20 17:26:54

·
Registered
542 Posts
Just read a bit on google/Smartplanet, it states that a stop/start car has to have a beafier starter motor and battery to basically cope with all the extra starts over the vehicles lifetime. If stop / start is fitted the car has to monitor the position of clutch , gearstick, doors being open etc any of which if wrongly positioned will prevent the car from restarting. In a nutshell more to go wrong, leave me with an engine that I can turn off and restart when the road is clear. That's why we take a test , to show that we can make the right decisions for ourselves. Tc T c2012-08-20 18:44:08

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I have to say if I had it I would probably turn it off. It seems like a very crude technology to me.Here's more info:
A new feature is a Stop/Start system for the 117PS 1.6-litre petrol engine. Available on all manual transmission Jukes except those in Visia trim, the Stop/Start system costs just £200 extra and reduces CO2 emissions from 139g/km to 136g/km, while fuel consumption in the urban environment - one of the Juke's natural hunting grounds - is improved by seven per cent, from 36.7mpg to 39.2mpg. Combined economy also jumps from 47.1mpg to 48.7mpg too.

·
Registered
867 Posts
The eco friendly types may be persuaded to take the plunge, but those 'improved' fuel economy figures sure aren't much of an incentive. It doesn't even drop a tax band either.If I was in the market for a 1.6 N/A; I too would stay true to the good old 'manual' start/stop method.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nissan, have not yet come back to me on this but my local dealer tells me this will be available on all 1.6 n/a petrol engines on Acenta trim levels upwards. So all trim levels except VisiaIn repsonse to others I agree seems like a waste of time for small savings and more importantly as Darren has said it doenst even drop it down road tax bands. I wouldn't bother buying this if it was me but then I wouldn't buy a 1.6 n/a engine anyway

1 - 8 of 8 Posts