Nissan Juke Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please if anyone has an answer, on my last Juke I changed the side lights for LED's done this on the new one, added to which I have changed the interior lights for LED ones and the number plate lightsthese are expensive prism LED's as found in Halfrauds but so far one interior one has malfunctioned and 3 number plate ones this is all in the space of 6 weeks. I have removed the 2 number plate ones and put back the standard 501's in any one have an idea what may be causing it I was thinking of trying the expensive no error ones even though I dont have an error showing or is it just maybe the system doesnt like so many LED s on it.I have purchased some more from fleabay of a different type to see if this makes any difference.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I don't have an answer to your problem Steve, but I have just ordered LEDs for the number plate lights; having LED sidelights and interiors (including cargo) already fitted like you. If you are right about the number of LEDs, then I have just bought a white elephant.Did you have this full complement fitted to your original Juke and if so, for how long without issue? Are the bulbs themselves from your original Juke and are they likely to have been susceptible to moisture before being refitted?

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no I didnt have any others fitted to the original bar the front sidesKats and iceman have the interior lights LED which is where i got the idea I added the number plate lights a week after the interior this is when I started to get problems Kats and Iceman have had theirs in for a while and not had a problem.

·
Registered
867 Posts
At a bit of a loss then mate. Dodgy wiring or wrongly rated fuse allowing too much voltage to pass through the lighting circuitry? Have you checked the latter?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Deks, I have exact same set up, with sidelights being 28 SMD LEDs , and my first led amazon purchase that were in my sidelights I put in my number plate lights. For the interior light I have white 5 smd in the centre and red 9 smd in the outer..I did find with my interior lights after getting the polarity right the bulbs had to be ' cocked' over to get them to work.
I'm pretty sure all these LEDs will still pull less current than the original tungsten filament type.
.Strange though that this has happened, maybe cheapest is best, as far as LEDs are concerned.Jukeov2013-01-14 20:52:17

·
Registered
867 Posts
Update; had my LEDs fitted in the number plate lights for about 4 weeks now without issue. To recap I also have LED side lights and interior lighting/cargo bulb.

Have you dared try with different bulbs again Steve?

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Darren C wrote:Update; had my LEDs fitted in the number plate lights for about 4 weeks now without issue. To recap I also have LED side lights and interior lighting/cargo bulb. Have you dared try with different bulbs again Steve?I am currently running cheaper LED's had an issue with one flickering the top led(each has 5) had to remove them all for dealer visit when I put them back in today 2 wouldnt work so changed them for 2 spares I had so we shall see how it goes

·
Registered
115 Posts
Unusual for a LED bulb to fail after taking them out, so perhaps you could retry fitting them but as they will only work one way around, if they do not work first time, take out, reverse and try again.This applies to all LED bulbs, T10/W5W/501 etc.Jeff

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well, some bulbs are prone to fail with vibration, although if you buy specific car bulbs, you would expect them to last!You could try and measure the voltage at the bulb with a meter, you should get between 11 volts with the engine not running up to 14 or so with the engine reving (road speed revs 2000-ish).If it is higher than that then that may explain the bulb failures - although normal lamps are a little more forgiving, they too would fail if there is over voltage as they would be running very hot and the filaments would be prone to fail when shaken about.Strange problem you have, as Yoda would say.Jeff

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the advice Jeff, if it persists I will try this it is weird as Kats has the same bulbs in hers with no issuesalthough as far as I know they havent done the number plate lightsand it was when I did those I started to get the problemsShe also doesnt have the rear LED lights but I had these issues prior to that I may have damaged these last two removing them also as they are the cheap ebay ones I will put some failure down to this that said my front side light ones are close on 2 years old and still going strong Who knows, added to the cruise failure last week it is highly possible I have an underlying problem will just have to keep an eye on it

·
Registered
115 Posts
Erm, that's a good point about the cruise as well - it may be worth asking your dealer to check the output from the alternator to see if it is putting out too much. Have you had any problems with your battery at all? Or fuses blowing? Other than the bulbs, have you cut into any of the wiring to splice a join or anything?It may be worth sticking a meter across the pos/neg terminals of the battery before and after starting the engine (but not during starting!) to get a volt reading and post here. Maybe others can list their voltages as well?Jeff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.