Nissan Juke Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fitted one of these please.
Bloody "Ikea" style photo instructions are not the best, and I have a couple of queries before I start stripping down..
It appears that the holder connections, simply replace the USB interface from the dash, but I'm not sure if it also kills the phono (jackplug) input or if that is independent?
Seems to me if the loom being disconnected from the back of the head also carries the wire from the phono input, I will lose it unnecessarily, when I could just splice into the new connection. Any ideas/experience here guys?

Also I would really prefer to keep both inputs active (the USB and the iPhone) and again I wonder if I couldn't just splice the two behind the head and then keep the option to use the USB or the iPhone as my auxiliary?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I wouldn't recommend splicing a USB connection as it is data and power, data to the Connect unit and power for the iPhone. You can do it if you are very good at soldering. I expect the wires would be quite delicate, and if data, will be fine stranded (well should be if they did it properly).

I haven't seen the wiring / plugs, so could you post a photo of the end of the wire of the new iPhone holder? Does the new iPhone holder not also include the 3.5 mm socket (jack) in the holder somewhere?

It may be the jack is a separate wiring connector so you may not lose it. It would be logical to do it that way.

If (a) the new iPhone fitting has a jack, it is likely you will lose it from the plug under the dash

If (b) if it doesn't then there is a 50/50 chance you will keep it and

If (c) the plug on the new iPhone holder only has five connectors, there is better than even you won't lose it

5 wires are data and power and shield.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeff
As it happens, the connection from the dash is needed to attach to the new connector under the holder, so I would need an additional interface if I wanted to keep both.
In the end I stuck the blank in and thought " bugger it"
The main driver for the decision being the copious amounts of blood pouring from my sliced thumb... (I assume it is a necessary part of all jobs).
Anyway job done - quite chuffed considering the pretty major strip down needed...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for the update. Did the holder have a 3.5mm socket for other input?As to sliced finger, comes with every DIY job. Not an optional extra. 2 weeks ago I spend 4 hours in A&E after changing the glass in a cafetiere . . . Just because I hate instant coffee (saw it being made once!)Jeff

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeff
The holder is actually fitted with a USB connection.
The new cabling is basically a longer replacement for the existing one, allowing you to take the USB connection from the dash and fit it into the cup holder, and run the new cable up to the back of the head unit.
The iPod cradle plugs into the USB and clips into place.
If you are using it for an iPhone 4 or 4S you will need to trim a little of the rubber off with a craft knife or similar.
I recommend not slicing a piece off your thumb as well, but I guess thats obvious to most people (but not me apparently).

·
Registered
136 Posts
You may be able to use a usb splitter like one of these perhaps:In theory usb can be daisy chained up to something like 254 times (yep I'm an IT geek). Not sure if the Juke would get confused but it would be worth a try for the next person trying this out. Also I'm sure there would be enough power to charge two phones at once.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
potbelly wrote: Why buy an iphone cup holder when the bluetooth/phone system works adequately well, i just leave me iphone in my pocket.My Nissan Juke has a marvellous screen display for phone usage
Regards basically cos 10% charge is no use to man nor beast ....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts