Nissan Juke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well doing a little maintenance and checking my levels.
Mainly because I topped up the brake level fluid.
Checked my oil and it was black and actually quiet thick. Not sludge persay but it didn't drip and when the stick was turned upside down it didn't exactly run down. Now it's had it's first service and second service is due within a few months. Someone pointed out that its meant to be synthetic oil and shouldn't be that black. Just after any comments or knowledge of what the oil should be like.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is far from light brown. I'm wondering if the Nissan garage changed it at first service.
I assumed that they would as a new engin running in would create a lot of impurities

·
Registered
374 Posts
Any pics buddy,
How many since the last change.
After 2 days of taken delivery of my juke noticed an oil leak on the garage floor. On further inspection the oil filter was loose, took back to nissan and demanded new oil n filter tbh oil was fresh however oil filter just looked like it was wiped clean.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will get some pics in the morning. Have done 12K since new. Car is coming up to its two year birthday. If Nissan did change the oil then at a guess the current tank and filter have done about 6k miles. meaga-byte2013-02-16 20:02:40

·
Registered
374 Posts
Get a pic up in the morn after 6 k the oil would be dark but shouldn't be black.
This is my 4th forced induction car and from previous experience they don't like dirty oil or to thin could blow the turbo seals.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oo don't be saying that. One of the things I want them to look at at the service is the turbo. It's been feeling a little flat the last few months albeit it's improved after a good hard drive instead of driving it like a old lady lol

·
Super Moderator
714 Posts
Hi meaga, if your oil is black and thick like tar then something is wrong.
your are either burning your oil or the wrong oil has been put in,after only 12k your oil should still be nice and clean and full of viscosity.As for synthetic oil you are better staying with nissan oil whilst still under warranty coz once you change to synthetic you have to stay with it unless you strip your engine down and give it a steam clean.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'll take a picture for u guys in the morning. Am I right in assuming that the oil should have been changed at the first service?

·
Super Moderator
714 Posts
meaga if your oil is thick and black it needs changing as soon as poss, especially with a turbo,its like the blood going to your heart if its thick then it could cause heart attack or in your car it will cause untold problems.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The oil I use to top up comes straight out of the hand book lol.
I'm religious about using the correct fluids in my cars. Albeit not branded Nisan.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Does the oil smell ? Ie petrol

Ref turbo check your silicone pipe that comes of the turbo check to see its clean around the area.
I would say take a pipe of the intercooler to have a look but it's hard to get at unless the bumper is removed.
Also check your exhaust on start up for excessive smoke,
Also under hard boost do you notice large amounts off smoke from exhaust via the rear view mirror

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Smell wise, maybe a little of petrol. With regards to the smoke it's hard to tell with the cold weather. Under hard boost I'm afraid I have been watching the road haha but will see if I can check it out next time.

·
Registered
374 Posts
That looks ok from the pic it's not like tar which is a good thing, like I said before turbos like fresh clean oil
I change every 4k however that's my personal preference and helps the turbos life.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
I would say that oil wasnt as you first described MB and look acceptable to me.if in doubt get it to the dealer for a check overWhile you are there you might what to consider a late wedding present to your self and trade it in just make sure you dont buy another

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I checked this morning the oil seemed a little darker. Car had been standing all night. Been driving around this arvo so might account for something lol

·
Super Moderator
714 Posts
Hi Meaga, The oil on the stick looks ok to me mate,When you take it for its next service put a very small scratch on the oil filter case, and check it after your service,But to be quite honest with you i dont think any nissan dealer/servicer would be stupid enough to renage on the oil change as it could ruin his business.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts