Nissan Juke Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling all Petrol Heads:

Granted Premium Petrol is recommended, and (until yesterday) this is what I've put in him.

Having a wedding to attend today, and some trips planned for the coming weekend, I went to fill up at my local Total yesterday. They were all out of Premium, so I topped up my half-full tank with Super.

Here comes the stats:

On Premium Petrol from birth, MPG is pretty steady at 28.5.
With half-and-half Premium and Super (Gauge reset on top-up, about 150 miles driven since), MPG is 32.2.

I calculate that for 2.5 pence more a litre (averaged for half-and-half), I get 3.7 miles more per gallon.

So my question is, with a half-and-half petrol mix (self-medicated, so-to-speak) am I getting a good enough result to keep to that system, or should I go back to Premium only?

·
Registered
46 Posts
The premium figure from birth is a red herring…Our's was doing the same 28.5mpg on the computer, it's now got 3000 miles on the clockand the mpg has gone up to 33mpg.In normal driving the super makes very little difference.In my diesel vans I use the super stuff every now & again as it burns at a higher tempand helps in keeping the carbon from building up.Always a hot topic with followers on both sides.The bigger issue is if you use supermarket fuel or stick with the Shell, Esso etc.The supermarket stuff is rumoured ( with much evidence to back up) to contain less detergent & lubricant (in the case of diesel) and I DEFINITELY get less mpg in the van with it.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I appreciate that the computer value isn't accurate. The 'from birth' value I had calculated using the iPhone App. I'll be doing a few brim-to-brim calculations with half-and-half and report back.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
The computer readings seem to be fairly accurate these days, you have to remember that the first 3000 or so miles will be harder on fuel while the engine loosens up and beds in The better the quality of fuel the greater the return will be in both mpg and wear on the engineAs said already supermarket fuel is cheap for a reason and I too get better mpg from dedicatd fuel outlets to that supplied by supermarketsas for the difference between normal and premium I cant answer 2 reasons one I run a diesel though I did get better mpg when i put the super shell diesel in onceand 2 I think this would require calculations over a period of time one against the other to see if the costs are worth it Mixing it as you have done seems like a good sensible compromise

·
Registered
46 Posts
Many transit owners mix a small amount of 2 stroke oil in with the diesel, it burns more efficiently and helps to lubricate the fuel pump…. millers diesel additive does much the same although reviews vary but it adds to the price per litre bringing it up to the price of the super fuels.I have a run down to Cornwall in a van next week so will probably run the first tankful on the super stuff to give it a clear out. ( 600 mile round trip fully loaded will use about £200 of fuel OUCH!!)Ultimately your right foot controls your mpg.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Whenever I ran Sarah's old Fiesta on 97(+) Ron it didn't seem to make any difference. I'll have to try the JUKE as we've not done it yet.The Zed should be run on 98 Ron which all helps to make life more expensive!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.