Nissan Juke Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bonjour all.

Risk sounding like a right girl here but when i peer through my alloys i've already got big time rusting on the... What is it? The bit the wheel bolts on to?... I find this a bit hard to stomach on a 13 plate. It makes me nervous.
One of Nissan's pick up guys shrugged his shoulders and said 'it's iron, it will rust' but having spent considerable time peering into other Juke and other make car wheels in car parks (looking like a right alloy perv) not everyone has this problem.

Apart from it looking sh*t, should i be worried and is the something that can be done?

Advices please learn-ed Jukesters.

Sincerely yours

Flo PJ

·
Registered
838 Posts
Bonjour FP,
I'd imagine its the brake caliper, mines a 61 plate and its rusting also, no excuse on a 13 plate tho'. They are cast iron and may just have electroplate finish, I'd imagine the harsh winter and salt has bought it on. Take it back to the dealer and tell them to paint it

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Cant see the dealer painting, sadly its a fact of life that it will rust. best I can suggest is to get the wheels of and give it a clean up with a wire brush I would pop to the dealer and ask them to have a look just incase there is something untowardor even that what you think is rust is just how it looks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get the wheels off? Ha ha ha. Please remember Gentlejukers that i am a girl. T'is proper rust though - orange and everyfink, drivers side rear is particularly awful like i've left it overnight in a salted foot bath.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Is it the brake caliper or the disk? The brake caliper is a big hunk of metal that does not go full ircle. The disk is a flat circular disk of metal, at least as you look through the wheel.If it is the disk rather than the caliper I would ask how many miles you drive and how hard you are on the brakes. If you drive few miles and are light on the brakes then the disks can rust. In more frequent and heaver use the rust gets cleared away by the braking. One option is to do a few hard stops from high speed (with due care obviously). If that works it will help for a while but you will have to repeat it occasionally to keep the disks rust-free.

·
Super Moderator
2,270 Posts
I'm guessing, since it's the rear, that it's the drum on the inner part of the disk (where the handbrake shoes fit inside). This still gets extremely hot on braking from conduction and if it's wet weather, every time you brake from speed, will boil the water off it - that's a recipe for surface rusting and on bare metal is quite normal. I suspect the painted surface isn't designed to last on these - high temperature paint may work but because there are unpainted edges - ie the disk - I have doubts. Mine are like that as well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i assuming you are refering too the hub? all 4 of mine are rusty (12 plate) and so are my calipers, it shouldn't be anything to worry about as its only surface rust, i plan to take off my wheels give it all a good wire brush and clean with brake cleaner, paint the hub black and do the calipers red, i agree they are very unsightly but its just one of those things, this happened on my previous car too, i'd say its nothing to worry about,

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem on my 62 Juke Acenta.

The car had only covered 2000miles and the top hat part of the front and rear disc rotors were becoming rusty.

Like you I was concerned with this and spoke to my local Nisan dealer. He said they all go like that even Lexus, BMW and Mercedes. That did not solve my problem !!!

I took the wheels off, lightly sanded the corrosion off and painted with high temperature Granville engine paint. I used a satin finish and now looks like the original factory finish.

Very disappointing that Nisan dont spend some more effort on preparing this and painting so at least the rust is kept away for a year or two

Simplest thing is go to the dealer and complain, asking if they can paint to take back to the original finish. Yopu do not expect this on a reasonably new vehicle and after all it is a bad advert for the Nissan product.

As the mechanic said at my local dealer ship 'it is nothing to worry about' - just looks sh---t

·
Registered
839 Posts
I can confirm Lexus' do go like this. My 2005 IS200, 2003 & 2002 Lexus' went like this.I just got a wire brush to take all the surface rust off and painted them with some high temp black hammer rite. The problem will come back of course if you swap the rear disks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Are you guys serious?!???

Its perfectly normal for the disc/hub area (part of the disc) to rust! Its not really protected from new and will get surface rust very quickly. As has been said this happens to ALL cars with steel discs. If the car is rarely driven or only short journeys they will rust up quicker as its not being used. Some cars/makes happen sooner than others. Nissan wont do anything about it otherwise they'd be replacing everyones discs every 2 mins! ALL our VDubs went/are like this, as did our Mini Cooper S,etc

If its really a problem remove the wheels and paint em but it will come back.

Also are the handbrake/rear discs separate on these? Thats a very old fashioned design most cars now the handbrake is off the rear calipers.

Now ive noticed the bonnet catch on ours is rusting, that is a painted part and needs sorting by Nissan under warranty.

1958 harry2013-06-30 19:45:40

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jukeov wrote: Bonjour FP,
I'd imagine its the brake caliper, mines a 61 plate and its rusting also, no excuse on a 13 plate tho'. They are cast iron and may just have electroplate finish, I'd imagine the harsh winter and salt has bought it on. Take it back to the dealer and tell them to paint it

Nearly all cars suffer this. It's not a big deal and if it is then give the callipers a coat of paint, it's hardly rocket science. Have just painted mine black, in fact nearly every car I have owned over the last 20 years have had the callipers and hubs painted. So much nicer than a blob of rust when seen behind the currently fashionable alloys. A dealer would just laugh at the idea of being asked to do it. Goodness what they would charge if they did.

·
Registered
838 Posts
CHOPS wrote: Jukeov wrote: Bonjour FP,

Nearly all cars suffer this. It's not a big deal and if it is then give the callipers a coat of paint, it's hardly rocket science. Have just painted mine black, in fact nearly every car I have owned over the last 20 years have had the callipers and hubs painted. So much nicer than a blob of rust when seen behind the currently fashionable alloys. A dealer would just laugh at the idea of being asked to do it. Goodness what they would charge if they did.

I appreciate some cars suffer this, but with the advances in electroplate coatings this should not be the case. It's no problem to me or you to paint the callipers, we like tinkering don't we? But to your average Mr & Mrs Smith from Doncaster it will be a right pain in the a**e

1 - 15 of 15 Posts