Nissan Juke Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a nice sunny day today so decided to whip off the side bars and prep them ready for new qq getting them off didnt take long but once off i considered a new set as they were beyond filthy with tar underneath and scratches , didnt look that bad on the car decided to give it a shot at detailing them (i say detail as this was no ordinary clean )so first up was the support brackets degreased and washed 2 cleaned 2 to gofirst job done , note i scratched the position onto them to make re fitting easier next up the bars ,firstly as others had found my bars were fillied with water so first job i drilled a couple of fair size drain holes underneath to allow any future water ingress a way outive not clean the bars properly for over a year , they just get a wipe down on the visible parts so the underside was absolutely rottenplastic tread were pretty bad too with all the snow and salt ectok so now you see why i was tempted to bin them [lol]first up a nice soapy wash but after to be honest i still didnt hold out much hope of saving them but i kept going next i drowned them in tar-x several times and was nice to see the tar starting to dissolve then an acid cleaner to break down the rest so after this they looked better but still dull as dishwater so out came the machine polishers and spot pads and both bars got an hour each of polishing with a cutting pad and megs 105 then a polishing pad with 205starting to look better now and my hope in saving them was growing i decided the 4x4trux stickers that were on them were looking old so hairdryer out and removed them then treated the areas with tar and glue remover and then onto the dreaded plastic treadsthe treads were washed again then apc used to get rid of the grime and finally finished with auto finesse trim restorerand they finished up looking like this , all ready for the new qq

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.