Nissan Juke Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2012 juke 1598 petrol non turbo 5 speed trans 57k miles. Shifts horrible and sluggish. Mechanics can't seem to find a problem. Here are the symptoms.
  • Slow acceleration/ some hesitation.
  • car jerks between gears
  • on cold start rattling noise sounds like its coming from near the gearbox area goes quieter if clutch is pressed in
  • Feels like car is holding back
  • moving off in first and second is very slow, jerky car shudders while moving off
  • overall sluggish performance
  • feels like there is increased fuel consumption
  • needs to be revved high (very noisy) to move off
  • very sensitive clutch in first second and reverse. almost stalling evrytime
  • vague bite point
  • lower than most cars clutch pedal
  • also noticed letting off accelerator pedal cause a jerky feeling.
  • Car can reach 110ish miles per hour.

Car doesn't drive or feel like any other car I've had. Usually I have no problems with stalling and have good clutch control on other cars I don't feel it is my driving.

·
Super Moderator
744 Posts
Hi Welcome to the forum, Oh my you have some problem's there ,at first I was going to suggest that your car had gone into limp home mode then I saw your top speed so I thought to ask you if anyone had done a full diagnostic on your car to give you a true read out of all the fault codes because it sounds as if there are more than one. It will be a very costly program to try and look at each and every component to sort your car out, So the first thing you need is to get it diagnosed.---------Please let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Welcome to the forum, Oh my you have some problem's there ,at first I was going to suggest that your car had gone into limp home mode then I saw your top speed so I thought to ask you if anyone had done a full diagnostic on your car to give you a true read out of all the fault codes because it sounds as if there are more than one. It will be a very costly program to try and look at each and every component to sort your car out, So the first thing you need is to get it diagnosed.---------Please let us know how you get on.
Hi yes I had it diagnosed, no faults, no codes, not running lean or rich, no electrical gremlins, nothing. Really confused and want it to be fixed I test drove the same juke year, miles, engine, trans and it doesn't feel sluggish at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a Nissan dealer located near to you that you can ask to put it on their diagnostic
I tried this too there isn't any codes being triggered while driving or any abnormalities showing even if the car is still. Showed two separate nissan dealers, a few private mechanics garages. Showed a tune up guy he agreed with me but couldn't tell what it is. Showed a small relative mechanic he also agreed but couldn't tell what it is. Suggestions were bad transmission or even possibly a worn timing chain (thankfully no one has tried force one of these expensive repairs upon me yet 😂) due to the uncertainty. But the car only has 57k miles which is nothing. Anyone any ideas or similar situations. Car isnt crashed either straight and rust free.

·
Super Moderator
744 Posts
Well it seem's that you have tried all the diagnostic pathways but you say nothing about the tick over speed, Can you hear any rattle from the timing chain if not then I would leave it alone and like you say it is low mileage for a clutch change. Have you tried one of those obd readers that you plug into your car before you go for a drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If it's a manual transmission
Sounds like the clutch is slipping, the noise when you press and release the clutch... Clutch release bearing gone.
All your symptoms shout slipping clutch OR your riding the clutch too much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you ever resolve this issue?
I am old school, if your diagnostics don't reveal anything electronic, then mechanical would be my first port of call and your symptoms yell binding brakes to me, certainly to be checked and rulled out at any event.
I am new to this forum, wife has just purchased a 2014 1.6 petrol, so I am just getting up to speed with likely issues etc.
I have to say that the benefit of a forum such as this is to let people know about their particular issues, but more importantly how they were ultimately resolved, thereby helping the community, that seems to be lacking from what I have read so far.
Happy Juking everyone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you ever resolve this issue?
I am old school, if your diagnostics don't reveal anything electronic, then mechanical would be my first port of call and your symptoms yell binding brakes to me, certainly to be checked and rulled out at any event.
I am new to this forum, wife has just purchased a 2014 1.6 petrol, so I am just getting up to speed with likely issues etc.
I have to say that the benefit of a forum such as this is to let people know about their particular issues, but more importantly how they were ultimately resolved, thereby helping the community, that seems to be lacking from what I have read so far.
Happy Juking everyone.
Hi I just thought I'd leave an update here. The issue has not been resolved unfortunately. I feel like it has improved though. The car is somewhat sluggish. Things I have done after the original post, I have done two transmission oil or gear oil changes normally it should last the lifetime of the car but found that it was dirty, smelt funny and discoloured both times. After that I can at least say the shifting has improved with very minimal problems as such reverse engages almost every time now and difficulties going into 1st have been eliminated. Although 2nd gear is a bit tough but engages well just a little hard to time perfectly for smooth take offs. I believe at least with the 5 speeds the transmission to feel a little bit tough even from brand new just takes getting used to is what I have been told. I think the clutch has some wear too although not diagnosed as it feels fine to all the mechanics I showed nothing more than regular wear I have been advised. Bite point is still a bit vague I find my self keeping my foot too pressed down as it's some what difficult to find the bite point it feels like it has two bite points is the best way to describe it. I am suspicious of a timing chain as there is a slight rattle on cold start need to have it looked at but the problem is it disappears once warm. The brake I must say I didn't really check I had given it all new pads and discs all around and it was also inspected and passed the MOT. Not sure if I should get them checked. With the timing chain I have been told the dealer has never replaced a timing chain for this engine of car. Could be just general age. Also I found that using a different oil made it a lot quieter engine noise wise it has reduced using 5w30 c3 as recommended by dealer nissan genuine oil and filters is what Ive used in my ownership but found this new oil a lot quieter. The previous Nissan oil and filter made it quite a bit more noisy but after this last one I found that improved.

To summarize

-Still a little sluggish
  • Gear oil and Engine oil change has improved situation substantionally.
  • waiting to get the slight knock/ rattle checked out previously told everything is normal by dealer mechanics and private mechanics
  • As per the advice here will get the brakes had a look at as it is suprisingly noisy for new pads and brakes was going to soon anyways.
-Suspect timing chain or clutch?

Could be a juke thing with the 5 speeds?

After owning the car for 1 year taking off smoothly and quickly is rather difficult. I previously drove German cars with very very smooth shifting and the car automatically compensated for any over revving or under revving and the clutch bite point was exact. That said the were mostly diesels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi I just thought I'd leave an update here. The issue has not been resolved unfortunately. I feel like it has improved though. The car is somewhat sluggish. Things I have done after the original post, I have done two transmission oil or gear oil changes normally it should last the lifetime of the car but found that it was dirty, smelt funny and discoloured both times. After that I can at least say the shifting has improved with very minimal problems as such reverse engages almost every time now and difficulties going into 1st have been eliminated. Although 2nd gear is a bit tough but engages well just a little hard to time perfectly for smooth take offs. I believe at least with the 5 speeds the transmission to feel a little bit tough even from brand new just takes getting used to is what I have been told. I think the clutch has some wear too although not diagnosed as it feels fine to all the mechanics I showed nothing more than regular wear I have been advised. Bite point is still a bit vague I find my self keeping my foot too pressed down as it's some what difficult to find the bite point it feels like it has two bite points is the best way to describe it. I am suspicious of a timing chain as there is a slight rattle on cold start need to have it looked at but the problem is it disappears once warm. The brake I must say I didn't really check I had given it all new pads and discs all around and it was also inspected and passed the MOT. Not sure if I should get them checked. With the timing chain I have been told the dealer has never replaced a timing chain for this engine of car. Could be just general age. Also I found that using a different oil made it a lot quieter engine noise wise it has reduced using 5w30 c3 as recommended by dealer nissan genuine oil and filters is what Ive used in my ownership but found this new oil a lot quieter. The previous Nissan oil and filter made it quite a bit more noisy but after this last one I found that improved.

To summarize

-Still a little sluggish
  • Gear oil and Engine oil change has improved situation substantionally.
  • waiting to get the slight knock/ rattle checked out previously told everything is normal by dealer mechanics and private mechanics
  • As per the advice here will get the brakes had a look at as it is suprisingly noisy for new pads and brakes was going to soon anyways.
-Suspect timing chain or clutch?

Could be a juke thing with the 5 speeds?

After owning the car for 1 year taking off smoothly and quickly is rather difficult. I previously drove German cars with very very smooth shifting and the car automatically compensated for any over revving or under revving and the clutch bite point was exact. That said the were mostly diesels.

Additional suggestion

Valve Clearance may need checked/adjusted apparently suggested for HR16DE engines at 60k miles my car is at 59k

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi yes I had it diagnosed, no faults, no codes, not running lean or rich, no electrical gremlins, nothing. Really confused and want it to be fixed I test drove the same juke year, miles, engine, trans and it doesn't feel sluggish at all.
Everything you have said would tell me to check for binding brakes before you do anything else. Sluggish take off, jerky in first, second and reverse, higher fuel consumption. The fact that you can eventually get to 110mph is not in itself surprissing, as the brakes may tend to work themselves loose after a bit of jerking around, but will then bind tight as you pull up.
Drive for a few miles then stop and see if there is any heat in the brake discs, careful they may be hot.
Good luck with your search for a cure (y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nissan Juke is a subcompact crossover and the smallest offering in the segment from the Japanese automaker. Although quirky and stylish, the bug-eyed crossover doesn’t come without issues of its own since Nissan Juke transmission problems aren’t uncommon to both the U.S. and overseas models.

Hearing aid centre in Chennai

1 - 14 of 14 Posts