Nissan Juke Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to take someones advice and when I get my new car next week, rather then pay someone to give it a good wash & seal I would try it myself and perhaps take up the hobby seeing as the summer months are coming. (we hope)I am a complete newbie, previously Its been straight to local supermarket guys, but then I never really had a cherished paintwork to protect.I have been doing my reading and will continue to do so over the coming week, but have started to put together a shopping list. Rather than to say to you "hey what do I need to buy" which would be an utterly open ended question, I think I have narrowed it down to the a number of products that seemed to be reviewed well and to my understanding compliment each other. Just need some advice on these, as you might say "hey buy this instead, its much better" or... "no need to spend that much money on that, just get xxx" ...so.. By my understanding I should be1) washing and shampooing / dry2) using Clay and lube to give it a deep clean and get rid of contaminants3) Skip polishes (?) as my paintwork is new, hence does not need restoring4) Using either Wax OR a sealant to give a protective finishAutobrite HD foam lance (£59)Collinite 476s super doublecoat Auto Wax & Carlack Kit (£32.95)Clay Magic Perfect Finish Kit (100g) (£17.95)Quick Detailer (£9.95)Poorboys Wheel Sealant (£12.95)Miralce Ultra Dryer Plush (£12.95)+ other microfibers & cloth selection for sparesOthers thanks in advance!

r3hxn2013-05-20 14:41:33

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm not an expert and I wouldn't even say I'm good at detailing but I really find the Chemical Guys stuff to be good, shampoo, butter wet wax, clay bar etc.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
You have done your homework and these seem to be well tested on the detailing world forum
So won't suggest too many alternative products for you
Prices are spot on though
Look at the different supplier and made a bulk purchase and you might get a starter discount

Try polishing booth in lancashire
Tim knows his stuff

Brushs for wheels

I got a cracker off a one from tesco of all places which has lasted out some dearer ones I purchased over the years
Also Asda have a half decent wheel brush for £2.50

Detailing on a budget thread is quite inspirational on detailing world although lots of the wealty purists tend to stay clear of the thread

One thing you do need is 2good quality buckets and grit guards
Budget for maybe £30 they will last you for years

I personally use a clay block and lube rather then clay bar
It's lasted me for a couple of years and 8 claying sessions by now
Clay block and lube was under £20

Don't skimp on cheap microfiber cloths
Dealer ones at £7-9 seem to last forever

Get a plastic box and lid from bm bargains to keep it in

Autosol is a worthwhile extra to your kit

A good quality glass clean such as checmical guys for £8 is very good mine is still a third left -after 2years
Get a good quality glass polishing cloth though NOT a yellow duster or old shirt

I personally like Glossworks shampoo by chemical guys £8 and use a cap for two cars weekly

Be careful of sum wheel cleaners though which can react with some alloy wheels if you don't rinse them off properly

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, All good advice.There's a few bits and bobs I already had in the garage with interior and windows, I actually found a hardly used tub of Auto Glym HD wax that my brother left behind. Any thoughts on this or am I better off sticking to the kit I picked out about?A couple of questions that were still flying around in my head ..How do you clean your microfibre cloths & how many washes do you roughly use them for before replacing.If I use separate MF's for window, another for buffing, another for quick detailing, etcand then they all get washed together, (and hence mixed up) is that ok for next time? or do I need to be more militant in keeping them separate.In the past ( where its been straight wash and wax) I have found by the time I have washed and dried my car on the drive, when it comes to waxing the cars already picked up a load of dust. How do you guys avoid this?

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'm about to spend a little fortune on some new cleaning gear for my soon to be juke.

wash mitts, drying towel, applicator pads and cloths. also some bug wash &tar remover and a bottle of autoglym erp and gloss protection . . ..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts