Nissan Juke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,So it turns out the sound system has the strength of Dot Cotton. I looked in to putting a couple of Focal IBUS20 flat subwoofers under the front seats as this has been a rather good solution in previous cars. However in the Nismo there isn't enough clearance under the seats. How is everyone else beefing up the performance of the sound system in their Jukes? Any help or advice would be much appreciated, preferable where and how to install a subwoofer.cheersG

·
Registered
84 Posts
imo subs are not always the way forward, often poor sound quality comes from poor components fitted as standard, you may find an upgrade to the front speakers and tweaters will do the trick and give a decent level of mid bass, but for those deeper bass a sub is obviously required, suppose it depends on personal taste,in my last car (2009 meganne coupe) i had up rated components all round through a 4 channel pioneer amp, and a 10" sub woofer mounted into the spare wheel well through a mono block amp, all in the system including cabling (expensive) and the dynomat for the boot to stop rattles cost around £1200, oh yeah and if you have the nissan connect system you could even keep the standard head unit.sorry for the essay,shaun

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
don't apologize for the length of the response mate, the more info the better. I agree about the poor standard equipment, but I find the cheapest alternative is to fit an active sub enclosure. this way, for half hours work and less than £150 you can then turn down the bass settings on the head unit, which will stop most of the distortion at higher volumes and still give you strong bass. obviously not the most impressive way of doing it, and the mid ranges will be almost non-existant but it is cheap quick and easy. replacing the front components would probably be the best way of doing it like you say, but after the initial purchase of the vehicle, 4 channel amps and components feel like a bit of a stretch at the minute. cheap and cheerful for now me thinks, then re-assess in a few months. I think I'm Just missing the tickle of the underseat subs I had in my previous car

·
Registered
84 Posts
iv always wanted a sub moulded into the recesses on either side of the boot (like behind the lights) shame I cant think of / find any active sub's out there that would fit, I agree it is a cheaper option to go for the active sub and they are great value for money, and will satisfy your requirement for that tickle :) good look in your search mate, if you find a sub of a reasonable size could you post it here? thanks, Shaun

·
Registered
136 Posts
managed to find this video after seeing it a few months back. They have the sub built into the boot on the left which looks quite good. Not sure it'll be big enough for your needs but looks good.fast forward to around 2:10 to see it

crag2013-04-15 12:51:08

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK lads, I have found a nice little active sub unit, and I am in the process of fitting it. The back seats are out, many panels and the glove box, head unit etc.What I need to know if anyone can help is, how do I seperate which speaker wires on the connect are for the rears? and where do I run the live wire through to the battery from the cabin? struggling to find somewhere...cheers in advanceG

·
Registered
84 Posts
not to sure about the speaker cables without looking, but for the power lead they should be a gromit behind the dash, i would try the area behind the glove box area to start. i will have a look about for a wiring diagram for the connect unit, or you could have a look at the back speakers and try and do a color match on the cables at the head unit, may be worth a try. sorry for the lack of help :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah found the gromit now, it was hiding behind the sound proofing. got that sorted, was hoping not to have to try and get to the rear speakers, looks like a bit of a pain. also I remember seeing that the remote signal is taken from the cigarette lighter on the jukes? would I just piggy back the remote wire on to the live wire of the lighter? cheers for the responses mate if this goes well I will put some pics up

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK so here is what I have done and how I have done it... The unit I bought is quite small and compact, so when I open the boot no one is going to think I'm 17 years old. It is an Alpine SWE-815 active 8 inch sub. The sub came with two RCA sockets connected to speaker wire, which needed wiring in to the rear speaker wires each side (behind the front seat belt panels was the best place i could find to tap in.if you take the door handles out of the rear doors, you can see which two coloured wires go down to the speakers. on mine it was mint green / grey dot + white / grey dot left, pink & grey right.The live wire runs through the gromit behind the glove boxStandard installation boo boowith the connect unit and climate unit out, you can see the two cigar lighter wires very easily. on mine it was green and black, quick multimeter test confirms the obvious, black is ground so use the green for the remote wire and bobs your uncle.fade the audio system to the rear a few notches and there you go! took me about 2 hours but most of it was troubleshooting and 2nd guessing with speaker wires and of course bleeding.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Nice work!

That unit looks tailor made for the gap

Wish I'd thought ahead about you taking the connect out - could have done with some pics of the connections on the back - d'oh!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What did you need to know mate? the connect unit is very very easy to get out, but as it turned out I didnt need to do any wiring at that end so there was no need for any photos

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Cheers GW, good to know it comes out easy

I'm looking ahead to compare the camera wiring we have in pace vs the setup in the qq360.
Guessing that the 360 must have 4 separate camera feeds (somehow!), even though its apparently the same connect (1) unit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks lads.I bought the sub from car audio direct who i found on google (spoke to a guy called Mike), it was only about £130 ish and came with a wiring kit which was adequate, so that saves another £15-£20.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
...first two bits clip off like so.4 cross head screws hold the unit in place... where you will find these plugs and connections. these were the best pics I could get you in the 5 minutes i had the unit out. forgot to plug the radio aerial plug in didnt I, dingbat. Hope they help mate.G

1 - 20 of 36 Posts