Nissan Juke Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as you now we had our sunderland tour yesterdaywhat as fantastic day it was , only a few juke owners but they more than made up for it being a really great bunch and thoroughly enjoyed meeting them all , the whole group qq and juke just seemed to get on great like we had known each other for years , the few beers we indulged in was nice and a nice carvery aswellheres a few mixed pics of the day and a couple of videos , we were given special permission to take pics as its usually not allowed but no flashes as the workers dont need us lot flashing cameras in there faces while doing what is very likely a stressfull job , the cars move along constantly and 59 seconds is all each worker gets to complete the fitting of there parts before the car has moved into the next chaps bay for hime to do his stuff , if the line stops for any reason it costs nissan £3000 a minute while its stationary loads of information from barry the guide who satrted there back when the plant first opened in 85 and was a fountain of knowledge , the cars are now 80% built by automated robots and 20% human as apposed to 80% humand and 20% robots when it first opened , there are unmanned trolleys that carry parts around the plant which was very cool to see to think that almost all assembly jobs including fitting the engine and drive train takes less than a minute was unbelievable Currently they produce 480,000 vehicles a year. Their target this year is 500,000.there are 780 robots in the factory and they all work in synch with each other...they are almost human...it's weird to watch.they were mostly LhD drive cars and were mostly Black, Gun Metallic, Silver and loads of Caffe Latte.if I remember correctly, if we had followed the whole paint line it would have been 7km just for that bit alone but it was mentioned that 80% of the cars built there are lefty's ,they paint cars in batches of the same colour in batches of 20, the ovens that bake the paint on take up to 50 at a time!,!The varieties of wheels on the cars was staggering , there were loads of wheel types that i had never seen presumably for the foreign market...as barry (the guide) said we were unlikely to remember much of the info as there was just soooo much being fired at us but what a great daybig thanks to all for attending and i was humbled / shocked and a wee bit embarrassed at the presentation of the gift bags i recieved and the round of applause (did i go as red as i felt )any way heres a few of the pics you all took and some videos that may interest some of youHere is our Fee..Journey Up, Pit Stops and PickUps

ctrdetailing2012-02-14 11:00:24

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
How uncanny all the photo's I have seen from the latest factory tour are of similar shots to those I took back in Dec, would agree on the remembering facts so much info to try and take in. Hopefully if I get to go again in the Spring I can remember some more and get some different shotsmight follow the QQ line myself as it seems easier to view than the Juke one

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the tours are stopping in july for line 1 (the qashqai) as the new leaf is going to be built next to it and as with all new models they want to keep it all cloak and dagger so no visitors are allowed near themim already getting requests for the next one but looks like we might have to wait till next year before the qashqai line is open to guests again

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Yes, they said back in December they were stopping tours this year but not as
to why, I can't see it be cloak and dagger stuff the Leaf is already in
existence, Personally I would say its more to do with a new product
that needs no distractions while they get used to building it. or the
fact they will be building the new QQ on that line which will be top
secret until its launch including all the test mules that need to come
out of there first.Shows how my memory has gone I thought the Juke was line 1 as its built on the old line the QQ is on the newer line.
Deks2012-02-15 08:11:12

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
qq is now line 1 which runs 24 hrs in 3 shifts , the juke/note run 2 shifts and the guide was the one that told us the tours for qashqai would stop as the leaf is in view from line one and its the new model (similar but not the same as the japanese leaf thats available now , plus the new batteries for the leaf are now being built at sunderland ready to be fitted to the leafs , he said the reason was that nissan liked to keep all new models and technology out of the public eye hence the tour stopping

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
see told you my memory was going. I know the QQ line is far easier to view as it was built with more modern methods, as for the batteries for the leaf yes they are built in a new purpose built unit on site, was still under construction at Christmas.At least they are not stopping visits before JOG members get to go AGAIN in the Spring Find it strange that Nissan become secretive with a new car after launch, all anybody with prying eyes has to do is buy one then strip it down to see whats what. Which I suspect goes on throughout the industry anyway.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the juke tours are not stopping at all , they said we can come back and follow juke or note lines as there in a different part of the factory and not near the leaf , even the guide felt the security and stopping the tours was a bit overboard but hey ho , the security are very strict , they wanted to take all our cameras and phones off us until the guide stepped in and said it was ok for us to take them , only rule he had was no flashes for the sake of the workers the battery shop is now up and running

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Dont forget I have been before so do know what its like. I wouldnt say the lines where that far apart either especially as when you tour the paint line its only the QQ one they show you as the Juke has no viewing platform. As for cameras you must have been unlucky we were encouraged to take photo's even said on invite it was OK to take them

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
ctrdetailing wrote:yeh dawn said it was ok but the woman on security was a bit of a jobsworth i thought as you went with james you may have been ushered through the back door Had a bloke on security on the day we went, he had a wicked sense of humour as did most of the jordies I met over the 2 days.as for back door no such luck Nissan Motors UK ltd and Nissan GB are in effect different companiesall owned by Nissan Japan still had to be booked and organised. I think we benefitted from a few extras but someone somewhere has picked up the bill for it .Deks2012-02-16 17:29:13

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.