Nissan Juke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys and gals, had the first service done on the 13th Sept. No problems whatsoever, a bit pricey but that´s Spain. This morning, I noticed that when I pushed the start button, the engine fired up and instantly there appeared a yellow/orange picture of a key with the word "KEY" underneath?? The car behaved totally normally. I happened to be in the vicinity of my Nissan centre, so drove in there to ask some questions in "Spanglish". I wear the intellikey round my neck on a lanyard, have done for a year, with no problem at all. They did some checking, without a result, then asked me to drive it into the workshop. They connected a plug under the dash, which linked to a computer thay had mounted in a steel frame on wheels. They dialled in my car details, waited for a while for it to adjust, then it gave out some information which the mechanic wrote down on a piece of paper. The key icon disappeared, which for me was a result but the guy said he wanted to study the written codes to find out what happened and why it occurred? Unfortunately, on the way home the icon appeared again! I ´phoned to inform him of this. He said not to worry and he would get in touch when he had information for a permanent fix!! Soooo, has anyone experienced this phenomenon?? If so, give me some hope please!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that did come to mind, was the battery low BUT I have found some info. in the manual (3.14) that says if a yellow key image shows on the meter, it means the steering lock is malfunctioing or the intelligent key system is not right.My steering lock does not work when I open the doors as it did before, so that is the problem.I shall return to the Nissan place tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Yes, I was going to say it might be the steering lock issue. Some 370Z's and US GT-R's (which have the same mechanism) had this problem. I had a very detailed description from Nissan and apparently it only occurred on revision A and B parts. Basically, it was down to the lubricant they used (and the quantity - too much).My 370Z has a revision A. Last time I checked we are up to revision D.The car goes makes constant checks, one of them being to ensure the steering lock is not activated. If it doesn't like what it sees it puts the light on. If it fails the check when you turn the ignition on then it will prevent you from starting the car.I've not heard anything about it recently so I thought the newer revisions (as all Jukes have) had fixed the issue. I'll try and dig out the 'hack' to allow you to start the car if the lock fails 'unlocked'.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Further update on the steering lock problem.I decided to visit, rather than ´phone to say I thought I had found the problem but they agreed and said they discovered that also.They said they would need the car for a day, to see what part is needed??? Promised to call me this afternoon with a day to go there, guess what, of course no call. I should, after 10 years in Spain, have realised they make promises they have no intention of keeping!!I have a suspicion, they may be trying to arrange for a technician to be in attendance and may be waiting for a date??CORRECTION: my wife just took a call from Nissan to say they have a Micra for me and be there at 9a.m. tomorrow. Apologies to Nissan and my faith is restored. Well, sort of, ´til the next crisis, I guess.I also am told the Juke has an electric steering lock, not as other models are equipped.So watch this space for further updates!!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
In the UK only the Tekna spec car has the solenoid steering lock - it's needed because of the keyless entry system.I hope they sort your car out soon

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well Paul_S, thanks for the info.They phoned today to say they have not solved the problem yet. It is not dangerous but they will make a "slot" for me when their current bookings are finished!! I am to collect my car tomorrow and await their call.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I hope it all works out. One thing to consider is that if the unit fails, it fails safe so there is no danger but it does mean you won't be able to drive your car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I am not sure what you mean by "fails" because I guess mine has done just that but I am told to drive the car with no worries, because the unit is in the unlock position?Just have to be aware when I park up away from my carport.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
RB your steering lock is electronic unlike mine which uses an actual key to operate it in a mechanical way.My understanding is the Tekna one is a kind of electro magnet operation and when they say it fails in the unlock position it means the car is driveable but the steering lock will not operate. Its designed to do this as if it failed whilst driving you can imagine the consequences not to mention the difficulting in getting the cat to a dealer to remedy. I have no knowledge or experience of this type of Lock although clearly Paul who works on the Nissan sport site has and it seems to be a common issue and I expect at some point in the near future the locking unit on your car will require replacement to remedy the fault

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a further update.I telephoned some days ago, reiterating the information I was kindly given here re. the solenoid.The Nissan manager said he would pass the info. to the Nissan Techno. They called today to say there are two problem searching routes that can reveal the exact area of the infidel. They called me later today, to say the problem is not after the firewall but behind the steering wheel. Which must mean the actual steel rods, I guess? I am to wait a ´phone call, when the job should only take some 30 minutes, which should be next Monday or Tuesday, when the part arrives. The only bad was, when driving away, I noticed the steering wheel had not been replaced in the correct position, instead of horizontal, the bars were eight o/c, two o/c?? I raced back, the Techno had a red face, so I said make sure he corrects it next week after the new unit is fitted!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As an extra comment, I did also notice that the car did not seem to behave, engine wise, as nicely as when I took it to the Nissan place? I notice they plug something under the dash that is connected to a computer and the engine is running. I have the feeling that my engine may have been idling for a considerable period, like 15 or 20 minutes, which I would never do, normally. So, I don´t know if that is why it felt "notchy". Anyway, when I got home, I opened up the bonnet for a couple of hours because it was very hot under there?? While opening the carport gates the cooling fan came on, for the first time in a year of ownership. Maybe I am paranoid, but I am sometimes suspicious of these so-called technicians, even though they appear to be all-knowing and genned up on the latest technology!! Let´s hope my Red Baron will be O.K. now he´s back with his Dad?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Further update!!The new steering lock part arrived, it was fitted and now, no matter what they try, the unit will not "pair" to my car. My Nissan depot contacted another Nissan depot, who did "tests" and they too had a "fail"!! The final thought is that Nissan HQ have not installed the latest software in the computers?? I needed to go to my car to get my driving licence, while the Technician was working on it. I noticed that every light that could be illuminated was on, on the car?? I guess I should have asked why but the exasperated look on the technician´s face stopped me?? So, after three visits, many hours with a rather smelly, quite old, courtesy car, that I am trying to avoid having to drive, I await a call to see if it is fixed!! Red Baron´s Dad is not very happy at the moment!!

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
At least the garage are doing all they can to try to resolve the issue. If you were in the UK I would suggest you contact NCS. So as you are in Spain I would suggest if possible you contact the Spanish cusomer service and see what they can do.I can tell you that they have a plant in Spain as when I kicked off 2 years ago about the crap fuel consumption the test engineers they sent to evaluate mine and Fee's cars flew over from Spain. The garage seem to very good from what you have said it just seems to be a software issue they can't resolve and seem to have trouble getting help from Nissan Europe.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No Deks, I am not condemning the garage at all, just commenting on the frustration for both them and me.My only criticism is not confined to Nissan employees but seems to be prevalent throughout Spain, is that when a promise to call me back, is made, it is very rarely done!! Every ex-pat I know has the same experience. Coincidentally, while waiting for the garage to call yesterday, a company, employed by Nissan, called to ask if I would spare 7 minutes to answer some survey questions? I readily agreed and in fact, gave my Nissan people a glowing report!! However, the survey took more like 37 minutes, probably because I opened up some areas I felt needed addressing. I thought afterwards, "Oh dear, the garage may have tried to call me?" but no, they had not tried.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
By the way, there is Nissan Iberia, over here but they are almost impossible to make contact with.Someone on the Forum once gave me a couple of email addresses for them, but they fell on unanswered stony ground!! Cannot find a phone number??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, the latest info. is that it was found necessary to order a further new part in addition to the first new part, that would not "pair" to the car.The part arrived to the workshop this morning (Thursday), they said if all went well, they would call me to come and collect the car. GROAN!! Phone call to tell me the extra new part did nothing to help the fault repair?? They tried to ´phone an expert for advice but he was not available until next Monday. Tomorrow is a Fiesta in Spain and all work ceases for the day. What I find a little hard to understand is the fact that Nissan, with all its might and technological knowhow, cannot make my steering lock work. The problem is compounded because I am handicapped and while grateful for some form of transport, find great difficulty in using a normal "lowdown" seat type vehicle. I am also being mildly chastised by my wife, who wonders "why we got rid of that lovely Toyota RAV4, that never ever gave any trouble?"

1 - 20 of 42 Posts