Nissan Juke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any advice on where I can get a good set of winter tyres from for the Juke? Sure this mild weather can't last and don't want to prang my baby when I collect her next week! I've already got a spare set of alloys for them to go on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Deks, thought I'd tried mytyres before but just been on and they had lots of stock on the site so ordered a set.I now have a spare set of alloys, 4 spare summer tyres, 4 winter tyres, LED side lights, all I'm missing is my JUKE, got a call from the dealer last night and they say I should have her next Wednesday, can't wait!Nearly forgot I've also got my JOG car sticker on it's way too!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
My dealer (KAP) do a good service whereby if you buy winter tyres from them, they will store them over the summer, swap them over (and store your summer tyres) - all part of the price!That said, I've never asked them what they can fit on the Juke and how much it would cost.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks CC, looks like the exact same website as mytyres.co.uk I've placed my order with them and the prices look very competitive and lots of choice. I went for the Nokian's because they scored very well in the reviews I looked at.

·
Registered
158 Posts
One thing I learned being here in the Alps (snowing like crazy as I write) is that winter tires have different properties which have a direct impact on price. These properties are, softer rubber compound compound, higher traction, less speed, cheaper price, lower usage distance wise.

Harder rubber rubber compound, the faster you can drive, the longer the tire will live, but these tires are more expensive.

For example, I need on my juke a harder compound because I do a lot of autobahn driving, and as you know, there are no speed limits in sme places, and I also drive a lot. So I need tires I can rely on. In the past on my roadster which onle weighs 740kg with a very high power to weight ratio in snow meant I needed VERY good winter tires. That meant Continental Winter Sport Contacts which cost me a staggering €750. Last winter, I changed all the Radies tires and went for a very cheap brand because I knew I'd only use them for one winter. They were very soft, fantastic traction in snow and ice. I drove as normal meaning distance and average speeds on the autobahn of 170 where possible. Traction was always great, but the tires would be good for one more winter only.

In this area (The Alps), nokian are popular on front wheel drive cars.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Coupe, we're having such a mild winter here this year that my purchase may be a bit pointless, but I need to travel on roads that are often untreated on my way to work so even a bit of frost can cause problems. Winter tyres don't appear to be in common use in this country so difficult to get any 1st hand experience so your knowledge is much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Winter tyres, what exactly did we all do in the UK before the suuden rise of Winter tyresnow I except that in many parts Europe the winters are colder and harsher and in fact many countries have a legal requirement to have winter tyres. Excpet for a couple of weeks of very cold spells do we really need them here, I have never had them so could be way off with my views but to me its seems an unnecessary expense and given our weathers tendancy to differ a lot somtimes un required and leading to premature wear of said tyres, take of late 9 degrees +, that dsaid next week could be covered in snow but as I said at the start what did we do here before winter tyres, nothing we just carried on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do agree with you Deks but last year I had several scary moments, my commute crosses over the hills from Lancashire to West Yorkshire and there does often seem to be some issues on where one Authority stops gritting and the other starts! I'm a careful driver when the temperature drops but still have been lucky not to end up in a wall a couple of times. The winter tyres I've bought cost about 25% less than the Summer Bridgestones so happy for faster wear as long as it isn't excessive. Also got a bargain on a set of brand new 17" sport alloys and un used bridgestone tyres so got my next set of summer tyres too. I've got a freind with a set and he raves about them so lets see how it goes, I'll report back!

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Sorry should have added that I do live in the much milder South of the country and our weather is usually quite different to that further North pro's and cons for both also both my cars do less than 15 miles per day each on averageso mine isn't a typical case or day

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've been a winter tyre convert for the past couple of years. Previous to the Juke my wife had an MX5 Mk3 - awesome car but dreadful in the winter. By fitting winters to the MX5 it became a much easier prospect until all but the worst weather.We live at the top of the biggest hill in the area and last year the 3 weeks we had snow the Juke running winter tyres had no issues at all. Several more 'capable' cars were left at the bottom of the hill for several days on each occasion.This year I picked up a set of EVO 5 alloys and fitted the winter tyres to these before fitting to the Juke - simply means no payment to the tyre place for swapping and in the summer they live in the shed. In terms of the rubber itself I usually buy a good set of part worns and they go on around now and come off in march if the weather follows its usual pattern.The other huge side effect you find is that when going through standing water the winters don't aquaplane at all...My other car is a 4wd Mazda 6 and I fit winters to that too - the combination means I've yet to be stuck. We usually head to scotland to see my family around xmas time and the journey can be pretty heavy going - the winters add some safety.The other major reason for fitting winter wheels (as opposed to tyres alone) is that if it all does go wrong and you slide sideways into a kerb ... well better to bash the cheaper winter rims than the nice summer ones.Clarky

·
Registered
215 Posts
Pointless me commenting on specifics because our winter tyres are studded, which of course is not an option in the UK. There are some general points I could make though.First, think of winter tyres as cold weather tyres rather than snow/ice tyres. For most winter tyres the cut-off point is about 7C. Below that threshold you will get better grip from a winter tyre.Second, in my experience winter tyres are more sensitive to tyre pressures than summer tyres. Typically winter tyres should not be over-inflated. Keep the pressures relatively low and they grip better. If you struggle to get going up a steep hill, dropping the tyre pressures on the driven wheels can make a huge difference (with summer tyres also).Thirdly, even with winter tyres you have less grip on snow and ice and often this is most noticable under braking. You can seem to have plenty of grip for normal driving, cornering, even accelerating but if you have to stop quickly you really understand that grip levels are reduced. Don't let it catch you out.This youtube video compares different tyre types on an ice rink and is very informative:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have to use them here in Germany because it is the law. However it does give you the feeling of security or added security that you are running on winter tires on snow and indeed on ice. Some people back home in the UK argue that the winters are not cold enough or not enough to warrant buying a full set of winter tires.

However having been driving on winter tires since 2001 even if I returned to the UK I would always use winter tires in winter particularly when the weather is below 7°C.

·
Super Moderator
2,270 Posts
Wouldn't these be an alternative for the really bad stuff:http://www.skidrive.co.uk/snow-chains/index.php?gclid=CKaOndeEsroCFZIPtAodTmwA-QThey take about a minute to fit/remove. Last year, during the really bad weather, I only had a couple of times when I was stuck - once in our company car park which was flat but had about 6 inches of undisturbed snow, and the other was getting into the garage I used at the time, which was a very steep ramp into a narrow garage with no run at it (salt sorted that one). The rest of the time, I found that taking it easy kept my Juke safe and undented.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
i had Yokohamas winters on my Qashqai and they were fab!!

havent got the dosh to fit winters and get new wheels for Juke but will do asap.

·
Registered
215 Posts
actd wrote:Wouldn't these be an alternative for the really bad stuff:http://www.skidrive.co.uk/snow-chains/index.php?gclid=CKaOndeEsroCFZIPtAodTmwA-Q
I have never used chains, and don't know anyone who has. Certainly not something you see here. I wouldn't want to use them at any speed. Perhaps useful as a last resort to get you moving if stuck with crap tyres on real snow or ice, I don't know, but I don't see them as an alternative to winter tyres.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.