NISMO tyre wear

In here for all your general Nismo chat
bigfatmole

NISMO tyre wear

Post by bigfatmole » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:25 pm

Hi guys , my nismo is 7000 miles old now and I still love it . However although I don't drive it as hard as I should I'm going to be lucky to see 8500 miles on front tyres . Now im sure others have seen essesive tyre wear and wondered if the tyre is just a soft compound or the nismo is very hard on front tyres . Has anyone found a much better wearing option ?? These tyres won't even make the 1st service :(

Mark_T

NISMO tyre wear

Post by Mark_T » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:23 pm

Are they wearing evenly across the full width of the tyre?Just asking as you wouldn't be the first to have the tyres over-inflated from new thanks to poor standards at he dealers.

Lordharding

NISMO tyre wear

Post by Lordharding » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:24 pm

I managed to get 16k before I had to replace them the backs had about 3/4 mm on the back but replaced them as a set of four

Looking at options I decided on maxima tyres recomended by my local tyre supplier in Carlisle
I value their honest opinion over the last 30 years
Pirelli amd other premium brands were £110 -£180 per corner so I was delighted with the set of four for £320 fitted

The tyre fitter did say the contintals were a very soft brand despite high prices and should of lasted 20 k

I was very disappointed in continentals as normally manufacture specs are high grade then like for like replacements

It will be interesting to see how long the maxima last over the £720 quoted for continentals

I also drive my Nismo hard and fast so your doing really well and must be smiling a lot with heavy wear rates at 7k
The Nismo has landed and I Love it

Lordharding

NISMO tyre wear

Post by Lordharding » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:28 pm

My tyres were at 40 psi and didn't realise untill I got some advice on here after a few months

Ride quality did feel slightly better after taking down 33/34

Be intersting to see what other wear rates are
The Nismo has landed and I Love it

bigfatmole

NISMO tyre wear

Post by bigfatmole » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:56 pm

Tyre pressure was fine :(
I friend at work also has a nismo and had similar tyre wear , I just assumed his boy had been ragging it but would appear they just wear out bloody fast :(

Ps the wear is even across the tyre .. I'll look into the maxima as suggested :)

Bighbomb

NISMO tyre wear

Post by Bighbomb » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:03 pm

I have not quite 5000 on my CVT Nismo tyre wear is pretty harsh like you I don't drive that hard but did my research you can get through a set of tyres in 12 months and less than 10000 miles so had tyres and breaks put on my service agreement. Better grip means a soft compound. Continental tyres are very soft. There are some thing I would not compromise on when it comes to my car are the four things that keep me on the road and stop me. Manufacturers spend lots of effort and money to get the right tyres for there cars (don't always get it right though) my old car came with Goodyear GT's first change of tyre put continentals on changed the grip and the handling so much better the continentals where the cheaper opinion at the time.
I would not bye just .on the recommendation of one persons opinion there are plenty of independent reports on the tyers. The Witch report

DAVE.B

NISMO tyre wear

Post by DAVE.B » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:30 pm

Mine came supplied with Michelins and have now done over 11000 miles. I have been very pleased with both grip and wear, but dont have exact figures to hand.

bigfatmole

NISMO tyre wear

Post by bigfatmole » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:42 pm

Yeah on previous cars I've always got on well with michelins . 11000 miles is more what I'd expect :)

Are the continentals that are supplied on the nismo run flats ?? Could this be the problem ??

Bighbomb

NISMO tyre wear

Post by Bighbomb » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:27 pm

The continentals are not run flats
Note michelins recommend a V rating tyer for the 2WD my CVT AWD has Y rated!

Bob Gill

NISMO tyre wear

Post by Bob Gill » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:48 am

Been through this. Appalling tyre wear on my fronts with Continentals - went back to the dealer with this issue a few times. At 2.5K and only 3mm left on the fronts was very bad. Dealer acknowledged there was a problem with certain soft compound rubber, but wasn't really prepared to do much about it. A bit of liability ping pong was about to start between the Dealer and Tyre manufacturer but a small split 'discovered' in the sidewall ended up with changing the fronts for Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They did offer a small discount which brought the tyre cost to around rrp - generous!The rear contis have 5.5mm left on back. I'll never go for Continentals out of principal.Hope the Michelins are better.

Return to “Nismo Discussion”