NISMO tyre wear

In here for all your general Nismo chat
karma mechanic

NISMO tyre wear

Post by karma mechanic » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:57 am

The ContiSportContact 5's are designed to be soft and grippy. On mine the fronts reached 4mm after about 5000 miles, so I swapped them front to back. Once the new fronts reached 3mm I swapped them again, and used up the last mm or so. They had between 2 and 3mm all round when I took them off the other day, at 12800 miles.Having looked around I was trying to balance grip, longevity and efficiency for their replacements. I didn't like the Michelin PS3 that I tried briefly, they would probably last longer but the Contis felt better. In the end I went for Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance. These are very similar to Goodyear Assymmetric 2's but have an A for rolling resistance and wet grip. So far they have been perfect - less crashy and no noticeable lack of grip. Each tyre from each manufacturer is designed to have a balance of dry grip, wet grip, steering feedback, noise, wear, rolling resistance and cost. Those particular Continentals are heavily biased towards grip, so inevitably something else has to be sacrificed and in this case it is wear.The Michelin PSS is also a good tyre. Biased towards dry handling if the reviews are to be believed, and a similar cost to the Conti 5's.

acrorat

NISMO tyre wear

Post by acrorat » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:19 am

Here's my five pennyworth.Our three year old AWD Tekna was made in Japan and with the standard alloy wheels and Yokohama dB super E tyres. At MOT in October the treads were recorded as 6mm, assuming the measurement to be to the nearest mm, and accurately performed, and the mileage was a tad over 20K. I drive mostly in AWD-V and Normal mode, my daughter prefers to drive in ECO (newish driver) and we check the tyre pressures about every two months, keeping them bang on the recommended values, and dig out any embedded stones etc. Wherever possible, we avoid jack rabbit starts and hard braking. We also check the pressures after servicing as the mechanics tend to over-inflate by about 4 p.s.i.
Haptic Blue Tekna AWD 08/11/11

Jismo

NISMO tyre wear

Post by Jismo » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:56 pm

Another tyre wear thread. As someone said every tyre has different properties and at the end of day it all depends on how you drive. Buy soft grippy tyres and drive like a nun, you'll get more miles. Drive like The Stig and you won't!
2013 Silver Nismo

Dp9991

NISMO tyre wear

Post by Dp9991 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:02 am

I've had a word with Nissan customer services as my nismo tyres are looking very low on tread after 7000 miles and less than 10 months of ownership, it's going in on Tuesday for a tyre report and it's getting taken from there if any one else has the same issue id reccomend dropping them a tweet like I did :)

acrorat

NISMO tyre wear

Post by acrorat » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:29 am

Welcome, DP.I would also recommend tweeting, as I recently had an issue with an online game that failed to load after an update. Three days of submitting issue tickets to the manufacturer got me nowhere. One tweet and I got the answer I needed.
Haptic Blue Tekna AWD 08/11/11

actd

NISMO tyre wear

Post by actd » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:13 pm

acrorat wrote:Welcome, DP.I would also recommend tweeting, as I recently had an issue with an online game that failed to load after an update. Three days of submitting issue tickets to the manufacturer got me nowhere. One tweet and I got the answer I needed.
I agree - I generally don't use twitter, but I used it to tweet to RAC (getting a refund of taxi fare after my DPF failure) and Sainsbury's (pet insurance claim) and the results were pretty much instant.
2012 - Acenta Premium dCI - Gun metallic
2014 - Acenta Premium 1.2 DiG-T - Nightshade
2015 - Acenta Premium 1.6 DiG-T - Black
2017 - N-Connecta 1.6 DiG-T - Black

bigfatmole

NISMO tyre wear

Post by bigfatmole » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:05 pm

Ok cheers guys , best I get into this tweeting lark lol

Mark_T

NISMO tyre wear

Post by Mark_T » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:37 pm

Jismo wrote:Another tyre wear thread. As someone said every tyre has different properties and at the end of day it all depends on how you drive. Buy soft grippy tyres and drive like a nun, you'll get more miles. Drive like The Stig and you won't! I know opinions will differ, but I don't find reports of 8,000 miles on the fronts of a Nismo to be all that bad given the standard tyres are optimized for grip, not long life.I want grip on a Nismo above all else, and I didn't buy a Nismo RS so I could drive 'like a nun' :)Anytime I've had cars with more of a leaning towards performance I've got through tyres faster and just considered it 'normal'.Now if you are getting less than 8,000 and you are not spinning the wheels too often then that would seem like more of a problem to me.

Jismo

NISMO tyre wear

Post by Jismo » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:51 pm

Of course you want grip on any car. And you have to remember it's 200hp through the front wheels, which is nearing what FWD can handle. But even with 200hp, 8K on any tyre is just wrong for me, especially with tyre technology these days. There's either something wrong, or your driving style needs to change.

By the way, what are the OEM tyres for a Nismo? Jismo2015-01-03 23:52:54
2013 Silver Nismo

Ratcatcher3D

NISMO tyre wear

Post by Ratcatcher3D » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:39 am

Hey guys just thought I would add my pennies worth, I only got 7500 miles out the front tyres on my Nismo but now at 1200 miles still with the originals on the back. I have a CVT Juke that is generally always in 4x4-v and I always have a heavy right foot. Its down to driving and 200 ponies generally pull hard, I now have Kuhmo tyres on that make less road noise and grip the road as well as the continental tyres and best of all are not wearing as fast 😎

Return to “Nismo Discussion”