Nismo RS fuel

In here for all your general Nismo chat
lbhgaz

Nismo RS fuel

Post by lbhgaz » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:58 pm

Hello all,

Today I traded in my 2014 (January) Nismo for a 2014 (December) Nismo RS.
I had to put fuel in the car and on the fuel filler cap it said 98ron but my normal Nismo said 95ron.
Does this mean I can only put super unleaded in?

Gaz

Lordharding

Nismo RS fuel

Post by Lordharding » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:04 pm

Think I read that the RS has to have super unleaded in from shell or tesco
The Nismo has landed and I Love it

IonutCava

Nismo RS fuel

Post by IonutCava » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:12 am

You need higher octane fuel for the RS.Higher boost and more aggressive timing on it. You can use 95, but for short periods of time. I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere in the manual.
63 Nismo MT
Injen CAI, IMZ strut bar, 2J Lightweight Pulley, SS brake lines, EBC Redstuff pads, SAIKOUMICHI oil catch cans, Cybox 3" exhaust /w 2nd High Flow Cat, Rokblokz Mud Flaps, Ultra Racing RSB+Mid Brace, TMS T9006
Planned: FMIC, Tune

actd

Nismo RS fuel

Post by actd » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:24 pm

Shell do double points on their Nitro+ fuels, and at the moment, they are doing triple points on top of that, so 6 times normal points until end of November - that equates to 3p per litre, so worth getting a drivers card if you are using Shell on a regular basis.
2012 - Acenta Premium dCI - Gun metallic
2014 - Acenta Premium 1.2 DiG-T - Nightshade
2015 - Acenta Premium 1.6 DiG-T - Black
2017 - N-Connecta 1.6 DiG-T - Black

Jismo

Nismo RS fuel

Post by Jismo » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:57 pm

Just a point, doesn't have to be She'll V-Power or Tesco Momentum 99, both are 99 octane but BP Ultimate is 98 octane, Esso Supreme+ is 97 octane as is Texacos Super Unleaded.

So don't feel restricted to certain garages.

By the way I usually use Momentum 99 or V-Power. Had to use a tank of Esso Supreme last week. Didn't notice any difference at all!
2013 Silver Nismo

MikeGC

Nismo RS fuel

Post by MikeGC » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:44 pm

I saw a 5th Gear programme a few years ago which compared various fuels in a "bang for buck" way.
BP ultimate was barely any better in terms of extra power compared to BP unleaded whereas Shell V-power and Esso supreme actually delivered 4 to 5 (can't recall exactly) extra bhp. All marginally better than supermarket own brand, obviously.
MikeGC
1.5dci gunmetal grey ascenta premium with red exterior/interior packs

M-J

Nismo RS fuel

Post by M-J » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:07 pm

MikeGC wrote:I saw a 5th Gear programme a few years ago which compared various fuels in a "bang for buck" way.BP ultimate was barely any better in terms of extra power compared to BP unleaded whereas Shell V-power and Esso supreme actually delivered 4 to 5 (can't recall exactly) extra bhp. All marginally better than supermarket own brand, obviously.Very true when tested on a basic engine there are really no gains to be had by using a High or higher octane rating fuel. But when it comes to a 'tuned engine' or one with a high compression such as the RS then the higher the rating the better (and the less knock effect you will suffer etc) ... unless the engine also has a knock sensor to help retard the ignition to adjust for lower rated fuels .... blah, blah, blah?Same effect was found when people tried to use Avgas in road cars back in the 80's - OK if your engine was highly tuned but a total waste if your car had low compression ... but don't try it today as it badly effects things like catalytic converters by contaminating them with lots of lead as well as buggering up the O2 (Lambada) sensor as well? Anyway I'm guessing the Top Gear 'boy'z' would have tested the fuel on normal road cars?
Ex - Gun Metal AWD Tekna 1.6 DIG-T M-CVT [now no more :D ]       

Range Rover Sport 3.0 HSE Dynamic SVO MkII

MikeGC

Nismo RS fuel

Post by MikeGC » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:16 am

By a bizarre coincidence the programme was repeated yesterday.
For information only the car on test was a Golf GTi
MikeGC
1.5dci gunmetal grey ascenta premium with red exterior/interior packs

M-J

Nismo RS fuel

Post by M-J » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:10 am

Oh, very topical ... a VW ..... and a basic low compression engine range as well.
Ex - Gun Metal AWD Tekna 1.6 DIG-T M-CVT [now no more :D ]       

Range Rover Sport 3.0 HSE Dynamic SVO MkII

Jismo

Nismo RS fuel

Post by Jismo » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:08 pm

M-J wrote: Oh, very topical ... a VW   .....   and a basic low compression engine range as well. 

If it's the emissions scandal you're hinting at it is only their diesel cars affected, which are very high compression.
2013 Silver Nismo

Return to “Nismo Discussion”