Clicking noise when turning

Got a problem, look here to see if its known or let others know of the issue
Post Reply
kitch88
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:13 pm

Clicking noise when turning

Post by kitch88 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:14 pm

Hi all,

I hope somebody can help diagnose a potential problem with my new to me (64-plate) 1.2 DiG-T Juke.

When turning a sharp corner, or reverse bay parking, i can hear a clicking noise which appears to be coming from inside the wheel arch at both front wheels. It seems to happen at slow and fast speeds, and the only noticeable symptom so far is the noise. Does anyone know what this could be?

Thanks!


marrygold
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:12 pm

Re: Clicking noise when turning

Post by marrygold » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:41 am

cv joints usually,whats the milage.


kitch88
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:13 pm

Re: Clicking noise when turning

Post by kitch88 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:14 am

marrygold wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:41 am
cv joints usually,whats the milage.
About 36,000. Is it a difficult/expensive fix?


marrygold
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:12 pm

Re: Clicking noise when turning

Post by marrygold » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:23 am

it should'nt be them at that milage,
they are on the end of the drive shafts which you have to remove.
jack it up ,spin the wheels have a good look around.


vexorg
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 9:03 pm

Re: Clicking noise when turning

Post by vexorg » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:18 pm

Could be something sticking on the brakes. Should be easy to find with the wheel off the ground.


kitch88
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:13 pm

Re: Clicking noise when turning

Post by kitch88 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:09 pm

vexorg wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:18 pm
Could be something sticking on the brakes. Should be easy to find with the wheel off the ground.
Thanks. Is that likely to affect both sides though???

I haven't lifted a car before so I need to buy a jack and stands.... Will report back when I've been able to investigate... Appreciate the help.


marrygold
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:12 pm

Re: Clicking noise when turning

Post by marrygold » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:21 am

a good trolly jack under the front sub frame,check one side at a time.i use blocks of wood for safety.


mainliner
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Clicking noise when turning

Post by mainliner » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:53 am

I recently had a similar problem on my 61-plate Juke (32K).
It took me a while to track down, but it was simply a 'dry' contact between the bottom of the suspension coil spring and its housing, which caused a
'click/judder' noise when turning at low speed.
Try giving the bottom of the large coil spring a good squirt of WD40. It worked for me.


kitch88
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:13 pm

Re: Clicking noise when turning

Post by kitch88 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:55 am

mainliner wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:53 am
I recently had a similar problem on my 61-plate Juke (32K).
It took me a while to track down, but it was simply a 'dry' contact between the bottom of the suspension coil spring and its housing, which caused a
'click/judder' noise when turning at low speed.
Try giving the bottom of the large coil spring a good squirt of WD40. It worked for me.
Thank you... I'll try this!


vexorg
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 9:03 pm

Re: Clicking noise when turning

Post by vexorg » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:08 am

The bottom of the spring shouldn't need lubricated, it should be dry


Post Reply

Return to “Faults and Fixes”