Tyre valves

Got a problem, look here to see if its known or let others know of the issue
Flyingscotsman

Tyre valves

Post by Flyingscotsman » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:04 pm

Hi Folks,

I own a 2016 nismo rs and stupidly put a set of aluminium valve caps on which looked fine until I tried to remove them to inflate the tyres.

Three came off without problems but the drivers wheel one refuses to shift. I know the car has tpms and wondered if i will have to replace the valve or the whole sensor on the wheel.

I have tried clamping the valve gently with a mole grips and tried twisting off the cap but it's just shredding the cap.

Any ideas anyone? Any help greatly appreciated.

Bernie

Re: Tyre valves

Post by Bernie » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:40 pm

Hi Flyingscotsman,Welcome to the forum and I have to say you aren't the first driver to do this and I can only suggest trying to saw the cap off with the smallest saw that you have and then try to peel the cap off.Steel and ally don't mix because you get a metal reaction between the two and they become welded together,some say that they have used copper grease when fitting them.
If you know anyone in the tyre business then I would ask them and good luck.
Its only a Juke if it's RED.

Flyingscotsman

Post by Flyingscotsman » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:53 pm

Thanks for the reply, I was contemplating taking a junior hacksaw to it. I'll give it a go and let you know. Thanks again.

Gasmeter

Post by Gasmeter » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:48 pm

Hi hope you get it sorted , I have had different caps on many cars over years (alloy plastic rubber metal ) l always smear a bit of vaseline on the threads more so in winter just a thought :D

Flyingscotsman

Post by Flyingscotsman » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:55 pm

I had thought about putting copper ease on them before I put the caps on, wish I had now.😭

vexorg

Post by vexorg » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:13 pm

I've never had an issue wit the standard plastic caps.

Return to “Faults and Fixes”