Tyre wear

Got a problem, look here to see if its known or let others know of the issue
lollyandlivvy

Tyre wear

Post by lollyandlivvy » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:42 pm

Nissan told us there was a bulletin saying there was a fault with the tyres. But only on the diesel. Ours is petrol, but still had the same trouble. We have done another 1000miles since then and the new tyres seem to be fine.

Wint

Tyre wear

Post by Wint » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:52 pm

Thanks for that lollyandlivvy. Did you get Nissan to pay for the tyres or did you have to stump up for them??Sounds the exact same problem as mine.
64 reg Juke 1.6 Dig-T

karma mechanic

Tyre wear

Post by karma mechanic » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:16 pm

On my Nismo the fronts were made of licorice.The original Continental SportContact 5 tyres on the front were half-worn at
5000 miles. Swapped front to back, and all four had reached 3mm at 10704
miles. Swapped again late 2014 to use the last 1mm or so, all four
tyres had reached the wear markers when replaced at 12870 miles on
28/12/2014.I asked Nissan GB on Facebook whether I should be blaming the tyres or the car for this. A case was opened and they very kindly paid for the four replacements.

lollyandlivvy

Tyre wear

Post by lollyandlivvy » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:21 pm

No problem, My local Nissan garage eventually sorted it out, I did not have to pay as they said the mileage was quite low for that to happen, I they would have to get in touch with head office. I still had not heard anything for a few days, so I contacted head office and gave them a little push as you do lol. To be fair they ordered 2 new tyres and they were fitted within 2 days.

DAVE.B

Tyre wear

Post by DAVE.B » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:05 am

Hi Wint, dont know if you have sorted your tyre problem or not?If not why dont you speak to the BMW dealer that you bought it off? Even though that car was nearly new and low mileage, it should have had a full pre sale checkover in the workshop before being sold.Ask the dealer what individual tyre depths were shown on the technicians report and see if they are nearly the same as what the Nissan dealer told you. If they are, i would kick off at them and tell them that there was obviously a problem at the time of sale and that you dont expect to be told by a Nissan dealer that you have been sold a car with tyres like this. It might make them replace them? if not speak to there dealer principal.

Wint

Tyre wear

Post by Wint » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:26 pm

Heard from Nissan this morning and I'm told there is nothing they can do for me.
As for going back to the BMW dealer, to be fair I've done at least 1500 miles since I bought it, and the lowest tyre reading is now 2.9mm, therefore it makes sense that the tyre depth would have been above this when I bought it, and legally the required tread depth is only 1.6mm.
I'm glad that others were more successful than me in their endeavours with Nissan, but I've decided to give it up as a bad job.
I'm partly reassured that the problem lies with the tyres rather than a more significant mechanical problem.
64 reg Juke 1.6 Dig-T

DAVE.B

Tyre wear

Post by DAVE.B » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:30 pm

I would still have a go at the BMW dealer, even if only a phone call. When buying a car of that age / mileage from a reputable dealer, you shouldnt expect to be told what you were told by the Nissan dealer.Call the dealer principal, tell him what you have been told and ask him if this is how they do business on late / low mileage cars. He wont personally know about the deal, but will not want the bad customer feedback.Its at least worth a phonecall.

Caynsley

Re: Tyre wear

Post by Caynsley » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:05 pm

I have a nissan juke diesel with the 18" Wheels and last year had only covered 4000 miles and was given an Amber warning for the front continental tyres. My partner has the exact same car and same problem. This year the vehicle went in for service and needed 2 new front tyres with only 8000 miles on them ( low mileage due to ill health) and my partners were worn even more with only 11000 miles. Problem is that the dealer and Nissan are not recognising this as a fault or common occurrence. Yet it's all over forums that the Diesels and Nismos are all having this problem due to the soft tyre compound. Has anyone got any evidence of this fault or any information on the news bulletin that went around Nissan?

Return to “Faults and Fixes”