Nissan Juke Forum banner

DPF issue

21K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  actd 
#1 ·
Hi Folks, not been on here in ever such a long time, maybe thats a good thing. Could do with some advice.....

Had an issue with the DPF filter back in Jan 2016, or rather it was suggested i did. I have an early 2014 Juke 1.5DCI had an issue last year whereby the engines management light came on and the car was running spluttery over 40pmh, took it to the dealer and they said it needed a new DPF argued the toss as the car was only 18 months old, they lectured me over the way it was driven and they "replaced the dpf" as a good will gesture. All sorted, Car gets has and continues to get driven in line with the requirements for DPF burn off anyway so no issue there on my part. Weekly drives to Wales over an hour at 70pmh. This weekend the same has happened, same symptoms, RAC called, taken into the dealer, diagnostics point to the DPf and that they will have to do a regen, waiting for the confirmation.

HOWEVER, it led me to read the handbook, which states that if a DPF is fitted i will be notified of any DPF issue by the DPF light coming on on the dash, at which point i should drive like a loon for 30 minutes to complete a regen. On the previous occasion it happened and this time that its happened no DPF light has come on, the only light i see on the dash is the engine management light and a green auto light that flashes which tells me that auto is deactivated… Nothing to highlight that a regen would have been required at some point………. I assume that there are 2 options. a. The DPF light comes on to tell me drive at higher revs for a while till it clears, or B. The regen happens automatically whereby the injector kicks in and runs the regen in the background. MY Juke is an early 2014 so imagine i should get a light on, if i shine a light into the dash display where the lights come on i can see the icon for DPF filter but this has never illuminated. I have had a diagnostic video from the dealer this evening advising that a regen may be required but most of the issues were in the green ?.... Again the only lights i see on the dash are engines management and nothing else, they will see this at the dealer, is this my saving grace to avoid a regen bill ? the handbook tells me i should see a DPF light illuminate, but I've had nothing. Thoughts ? Many thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry, can't help but would be interested to hear the next chapter of the story.

#5 ·
2013 Juke with 30,000 miles - split an Intercooler hose then went into limp mode, dealer replaced hose then said DPF was also goosed and needed replacing - they spoke to Nissan who authorised all under goodwill but still got + £500 labour bill. Got to ask the question if second hand diesels are worth the risk if they need DPF replaced so frequently. In Nissan's defence this is fourth car with same engine we've had ( Juke + three Qashqai's ) and it is the first problem we've had in over 100,000 miles in total

#8 ·
exactly what i thought! mines will be having a trip along the nearest motorway at least once a week from now on. i really should have bought a petrol car, mines lives in the garage nice and safe all week, and comes out on a sunday to go 2 miles to the supermarket! then back. its a 2014 dci with 11000 on the clock.

#9 ·
I've had even more problems with mine the yellow engine management fault light came on and I could feel the car lose power and then the auto cut out light kept flashing and wouldn't go off and then when you hit 2000rpm no power in each gear and then the gear change indicator came on with both arrows showing and kept lit throughout my journey.

Any ideas ? Maybe its a fault in the 2014 1.5dci's ?

#11 ·
Although I do not drive a Juke (my wife does and its petrol) I have a diesel engine in my car with a DPF. When driving around town, I tend to keep it in 3rd gear which at 30 mph gives me some 2000 revs enough to blow the DPF through and keep it clean. I also find I get better fuel consumption and negate the need to keep changing gear. You have to remember that the indicator that tells you to change gear is only for advice and its you who is driving the car not a computer (yet).

#12 ·
I had the same issue with my old dCi, including split pipe. I managed to get away with a £500 bill, but got rid of it shortly after and have been on petrol ever since (shame at the time as I liked the diesel, though the 1.6 Dig-T is a lot of fun). My personal opinion is that there was a lot of mis-selling of diesels, and that customers should have been made aware of the sort of use that is (and isn't) suitable for diesel ownership - I'd had a diesel before, but it was pre-dpf so I wasn't aware of the limitations. I am also absolutely sure that the DPF warning light never came on, but I couldn't prove that so it wasn't a warranty repair, it was just done at a massive discount by the dealer.

#13 ·
Alistair said:
I've had even more problems with mine the yellow engine management fault light came on and I could feel the car lose power and then the auto cut out light kept flashing and wouldn't go off and then when you hit 2000rpm no power in each gear and then the gear change indicator came on with both arrows showing and kept lit throughout my journey.

Any ideas ? Maybe its a fault in the 2014 1.5dci's ?
Did you ever find a resolution or reason for this? My 2014 1.5dci is doing the exact same.

#14 ·
You can get a bluetooth canbus reader for £10 to £15 on ebay, and pair that with TorquePro lite (free) which will read out the fault codes so you have an idea why the light comes on, but I'd get it to a garage to get it sorted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.