Engine rattling

Got a problem, look here to see if its known or let others know of the issue
Wally13

Engine rattling

Post by Wally13 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:33 pm

Hi can you help, May 21st 2017 bought a Nissan Juke 1.5 accent sport diesel, then in February this year after the snow I noticed a rattling sound from the engine.

2 garages have declined to strip the engine as the work is very time consuming and expensive plus they are not sure what is causing it.

One Garage said Cam belt or chain the other says top end of the engine has gone which he keeps saying is the seals, if so he recommends writing it off.

I’ve taken it back to the dealership and they will not pay for the repair I bought the car with 64000 on the clock and it went into the garage at 68000 trying to prove this was a problem before I took the car on is difficult.
The rattling noise is when I go above a certain revs in and out of gear.

Any suggestions what it is and where I go next???

mart01

Re: Engine rattling

Post by mart01 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:02 pm

the cambelt etc should have already been changed at 5yrs or 60k. if it was then check to make sure all tensioners etc were changed as bearing can go which will rattle.. does it rattle with the clutch pressed in? stupid question but is there plenty of oil?

The valve guides could be worn, but if you fix this then another part of the system will become the weakest link and you'll be forever chasing it down.
To diagnose your problem, check the smoke coming out of the exhaust on start-up after the engine has been not running for at least 12 hours.

Blue Smoke - it is burning oil that is seeping into the fuel due (most likely) to the worn valves.

Wally13

Post by Wally13 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:08 pm

How do I check if the Cambelt has been changed??? The service booklet don’t state this. Who changes the cambelt at 60000?? Nissan or the dealership??

When I started the car there was smoke coming from the exhaust I had an oil change but it seemed to stop that, oil has been sorted.

Is it expensive to rectify issues??

Bernie

Post by Bernie » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:30 pm

Hi Wally, Welcome to the forum, A rattle can come from anywhere on a car and the only way to sort this is by trial and error.
I presume you only got the car on a short warranty which has expired .
If it was my car I would do the sound test with a long bar by putting it on various parts of the engine with it running of course and put one end of the bar to my ear,
Then put the bar onto the alternator first to make sure it aint that, then the timing belt cover ,then move the bar all over and check every moving part.
PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL NEAR MOVING PARTS,
Let us know how you get on please.
Oh and dont forget the heat shield over the exhaust.
Its only a Juke if it's RED.

mart01

Post by mart01 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:35 pm

What colour was the smoke? anybody can change the cambelt/(kit pref) along with water pump as long as they know what they are doing. you could ring where you got the car from and the main dealer to see if either have any info for you. or try the previous owner. failing this take it to any garage and ask then visually inspect for you.

Bernie

Post by Bernie » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:40 pm

Wally , How is the car running.
Its only a Juke if it's RED.

Wally13

Post by Wally13 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:49 pm

I will definitely test out the listening test.

The smoke was a blue smoke. Will Nissan have a record of the Cambelt being changed??

If it wasn’t changed will Nissan replace this for me??

Wally13

Post by Wally13 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:50 pm

The car seems to run fine that’s the strange thing, it’s just the rattle is concerning maybe a little sluggish when changing gear but nothing to serious

mart01

Post by mart01 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:03 pm

blue smoke is oil burning. piston rings/ valve stem seals etc. depends if the belt was changed there. it may not have been changed at all. doubtful Nissan will replace as its part of a major service. how old is the juke? the oil could have been seeping thro due to it being broken down too much (lack of maintenance) servicing. if its possible use the oil that's in as a cleaning solution and get it changed again with the filter. see if your air filter has been changed.

Wally13

Post by Wally13 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:19 pm

Juke 2012 plate. Thanks all I really appreciate your help

Return to “Faults and Fixes”