Nissan Juke Forum banner

Replacing fractured plastic air pipe on DCi

5K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Blue407 
#1 ·
Hey All

My car had been towed to the local Nissan dealer as the air intake pipe has fractured (again). They are quoting £1,800 to replace this and the DPF that they say is blocked,

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Camera lens Automotive design

The car is still currently with them as I have made a complaint to Nissan Customer Services.

In the meantime I have ordered a replacement pipe from eBay, its arrived and is is a Nissan original at 1/2 the price.

The one end has a metal sprung clip that can be removed with a flat blade screwdriver, however I do not know how the other end fits.

Could somebody please check for me how this pipe attaches at the end closest to the front of the vehicle? I need to make sure I can take the correct tools with me when I go to collect the car as I plan on replacing the pipe and driving it a short distance home before dealing with the DPF issue.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
At the end of this pipe is just a jubilee clamp and just before it ,It is bolted to the alternator i think its a 13mm bolt.
You can then remove it.
I disconected this pipe a while ago on mine just where yours has broke ,and there was no way i could get it back on.
It must of been under some stress as i had to unbolt it from the alternator ,its still not bolted back and just sits there.
maybe thats why yours has broke ,

#3 ·
Thanks for the help :)

Discussions with Nissan haven't really cleared up whether the DPF has become blocked which in turn has created back pressure sufficient to fracture this pipe, or if the pipe has fractured and let un-metered and unfiltered air into the engine resulting in inefficient combustion which has blocked the DPF....

A DPF expert I consulted thinks the pipe fracture happened first.

Its frustrating as this is clearly not a serviceable item, any more than a air-filter box or ECU housing, yet hundreds of people have had them fracture in exactly the same place. The eBay store I purchased the replacement from says they have sold over 100... It gives some idea to the scale of the problem!

Hood Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

A quick google search shows the above engine, I would guess this is a revised version of the DCi, fitted to the latest Juke. The whole air pipe area has changed.

I need to have a look when I get mine back, but I wonder if this pipe from the back of the engine towards the intercooler is all rigid and therefore as the engine moves about under load there is no flexibility in the pipe and eventually it fractures? It needs a rubber flexible pipe somewhere in-line to allow for the movement.

Attachments

#4 ·
mine now is only connected to a rubber hose at the end,i cant get it to bolt on the alternater,it would break there or at the other end.
maybe i was lucky i took it off before it broke .Its not rigid now or under any stress.
my mrs only goes to work and back ,which is 8 mile,so i have a icarsoft scanner, every month i plug it and it tells me if it as any failed attemps at regen and how much soot it has built up,if its been trying to regen about 20miles on the motorway clears it and add's to the count of how many regens it as done.and clears any failed attemps at regen
Now and again i do take it out and only use shell,its been great .

#5 ·
Thanks for the info, I have purchased a OBD tool and software which should allow me to read this information, plus force a regen if i need to.
Hopefully, once i have replaced the pipe I can easily sort this out.

Failing that, I will get an expert in to clean the DPF.

#6 ·
Mine broke exactly same place and got the same dpf requires replaced speil and it would cost £1600 - I questioned the goodwill bit as car was just over 3 years and less than 30,000 miles - came to an arrangement and paid £600 all in - Nissan must be fully aware of the depth of the problem but dealers continue to say that 'it's a one off' due to way you drive it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.