Timing chain rattle

Got a problem, look here to see if its known or let others know of the issue
Lgwilk

Timing chain rattle

Post by Lgwilk » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:40 pm

Hi. Does anyone know anything about timing chains? I bought a 2015 dig-t 1.2 juke in March last year. It had 38k on it. I have done 5 k. It had service and MOT today. They tell me that the timing belt is rattling and needs to be replaced. I have extended warranty. Should this be covered? A quick google tells me that if it fails the engine will be knackered and need replacing. Eek. Any advice would be appreciated as I know nothing about cars.

Bernie

Re: Timing chain rattle

Post by Bernie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:22 pm

Hi Lg, Welcome to the forum,The timing chain should be covered by your warranty and while they are doing it ask them to give the engine a full check over. The 1.2 has been known to have certain problems one of which is the Timing chain.
Its only a Juke if it's RED.

vexorg

Post by vexorg » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:53 pm

I think it will depend on your warranty, they can get creative about "wear and tear"

marrygold

Post by marrygold » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:51 am

changing the tensioner, especially if there is a an upgraded one can help the rattle.
lift the bonnet when it is warm and listen for your self around the drivers side of the engine.
If they have listened to it after changing the oil it would of been cold.
or they want your ££

Lgwilk

Post by Lgwilk » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:25 am

Hi. Thanks for all the advice. NISSAN have agreed to fix through Manufacturer warranty (not extended warranty) as it’s a known issue. Waiting on a hire car whilst it’s fixed. Hopefully it will all be sorted soon st no cost to me.

Bernie

Post by Bernie » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:12 pm

Hi Lg, When you say waiting for a hire car I hope you mean that your dealer is supplying one free of charge ??
Its only a Juke if it's RED.

Lgwilk

Post by Lgwilk » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:30 pm

Yes 😊. They are covering all costs as they don’t have a car available (there’s blinking hundreds on the forecourt).

Return to “Faults and Fixes”