Window glass is a water magnet

Non-Technical Nissan Juke chat.
evoke

Post by evoke » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:58 am

I've noticed something a bit odd with my Juke: the window glass seems to attract water that easily freezes. This results in what looks like raindrops on the windows but is in fact solid ice on some mornings!This doesn't appear to have been an issue with my previous cars or my other car.So, i'm going to be polishing and coating all the exterior glass with a sealant when we get a few hours of dry weather in the hope that this stops so much water freezing on the glass.Has anybody else noticed this?
Juke n-tec in Haptic Blue

calediablo

Post by calediablo » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:26 pm

I noticed that the other morning when de-icing. But didnt want to say anything incase ppl wanted to know what i was on at time

Shonzyd

Post by Shonzyd » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:33 pm

Havent had a problem with mine. In fact when other cars have been completely frosted up mine has been completely clear.. Might be to do with the position of my driveway tho. I did have that problem with my last car though, a clio. Those frozen raindrops are a nightmare to shift.

evoke

Post by evoke » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:23 pm

Polished with Autoglym Car Glass Polish and then sealed with Optimum Opti-Seal. It was sunny earlier and driving around it didn't look like I had a windscreen, it was that clear! I did all the windows. Now it's raining so i'll see tomorrow whether or not there's any difference.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:46 am

waxing and sealing the windows will disperse water and moisture when driving the car,but will not prevent freezing "sorry".to prevent freezing you need to apply a liberal coating of de-icer with kitchen roll.
The First Nismo On The Forum Collected 13-3-2013       
Give It A Rest Storm White Is Best With Red Stitching.Tuned BY Litchfield Running 242.8 BHP

evoke

Post by evoke » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:42 am

^ Anything that will reduce the amount of water 'sticking' to the glass should help.In fact, I've just checked this morning (the car hasn't been driven but is soaking wet from overnight rain). The glass looks similar to the glass on my other car which is parked next to it. There's significantly less water sticking to the glass.I realise the freezing can't be stopped but there's less water to freeze so the weird effects of frozen rain drops should be reduced.. As a belts and braces approach i've ordered a windscreen frost blanket too!

actd

Post by actd » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:27 pm

I've always dedeoated my windows by pouring cool or tepid water over them with the wipers on intermittent on the windscreen and the heater on max and recirculate to warm the inside up as fast as possible - gets rid of ice and frost quickly.
2012 - Acenta Premium dCI - Gun metallic
2014 - Acenta Premium 1.2 DiG-T - Nightshade
2015 - Acenta Premium 1.6 DiG-T - Black
2017 - N-Connecta 1.6 DiG-T - Black

Miff_uk

Post by Miff_uk » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:30 pm

evoke wrote:I've noticed something a bit odd with my Juke: the window glass seems to attract water that easily freezes. This results in what looks like raindrops on the windows but is in fact solid ice on some mornings!This doesn't appear to have been an issue with my previous cars or my other car.So, i'm going to be polishing and coating all the exterior glass with a sealant when we get a few hours of dry weather in the hope that this stops so much water freezing on the glass.Has anybody else noticed this?
Try Rain-Ex, it seems to reduce the water sticking in the first place and help with de-icingMiff
Juke Tekna, metallic black, LED side and number plate lights, Ring Xenon headlight bulbs. DTS 'fuel economy' box

CR4ZYHORSE

Post by CR4ZYHORSE » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:46 pm

I've seen the exact same thing

It happened to me because the windscreen was polished with a cloth which had wax finish on it. The water beads then freezes.
"I need your Clothes, your Boots and your Nissan Juke"

evoke

Post by evoke » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:50 pm

Things are a lot better now. I went out for a drive in a heavy storm this evening with torrential rain and very gusty wind. Visibility all round was greatly improved and the water just rolled off the windows, particularly the side windows. I also noticed that the front and rear wipers were a lot smoother in operation.I'll have to wait for a frosty morning to see if the frozen rain drops appear again.

Return to “Main Juke Discussion”