Nissan Juke Forum banner

nissan juke cvt failure

89K views 117 replies 44 participants last post by  Raydeville 
#1 ·
Hi all. My name is Pat and I have a Nissan Juke Tekna. We purchased our juke in October 2010. I have never done many miles and at 22.000 miles the cvt transmission failed. July 15th this year so out of warranty. My car was taken to Crystals in Boston Lincs. I contacted Nissan and they assured me they would do all they could to help but when they found out my car was not serviced at a Nissan garage they backed away saying I had not been loyal to them. They did find me a recon from Macys in Scotland and said it would be £3,000. My husband rang Macys and he said he did all the cvt recons for Nissan and we could have one delivered to Boston for £2,500. I have no idea how he has so many recons as the Juke only came out in 2010!! Interesting though !! We removed our car from the garage and found another cvt for a fraction of the cost Nissan wanted to charge us but for some reason Crystals drained the oil from the gear box and put in new? Have no idea why they would have done this except our mechanic thinks oil may have had metal filings in it. New torte converter was also needed. I seem to have been taken off the Nissan facebook page. I did get a phone call from some director whose name escapes me to say there was nothing he was prepared to do due to lack of loyalty. The fact that this was our 3rd new car from them I would have thought was showing loyalty. If you have the chance I would suggest you take out extended warranty on your cars or change before warranty runs out!! Good luck.
acrorat2015-02-12 17:53:40

See less See more
#2 ·
I dont know any manufacturers who would offer a free repair outside of warranty if you had not had the car serviced at a main dealer. Suzuki did my abs pump outside of warranty as a goodwill because I had full suzuki service history but wouldnt have if I hadn't.

#3 ·
Seat replaced bottom end of my engine due to a snapped engine mount which I kept complaining about under warranty.

They ended up changing foc.

The only reason I will use nissan now is for warranty repairs. I've no guarantee they will offer goodwill just because I've paid over the odds for servicing . .

#5 ·
I know of a couple of failures on the Qashqai club.. Really low mileage ones too....

Perhaps have a look there.. qashqaiclub.co.ukFee2014-08-28 18:37:05

#6 ·
Hi Pat thanks for joining up at my request.The reason I asked her to join and share is to highlight in my opinion a preamature failure of transmissionthis isnt the first CVT failure the Juke has sufffered I know of about 3 others although they were in warranty.Should Nissan be assisting with repair outside of warranty. Every case on its own merits. Ye Pat would have possibly got a more favourable look from Nissan had the car been serviced by them.This is a fact I have tried to get across to members if you want goodwill then play the game.However Nissan trying to cash in this situation is also unacceptable. if people search the net you will see that the CVT has a tendency to suffer from premature failure although Nissan deny this in the same way they deny the DIG-T timing chain issue exists.

#8 ·
Lexus e cvt gearboxes are fantastic. Instantly on the power and torque and stays at maximum torque and power until you reduce throttle. Quite good when you have 343 bhp on tap . . .

Nissan must know it's weak with them reducing torque on the nismo model, otherwise they would use the same engine map as the manual version . . .Marsden10022014-08-29 12:30:46

#9 ·
Was not expecting free repair but an explanation of why a cvt would fail after 22,000miles? And to honour what they said, ie they would pay a MINIMUM of 40% of the costs. You can have ANY garage to service your car as long as you use Nissan parts. At 16.000 miles I needed new brake pads which came from Nissan direct. 6,000 for a new cvt is not on nor is 3,000 for a recon. This juke cost over £18,000 so a third of the cost was not an option to pay. My cvt could have been repaired but Nissan do not sell the parts needed to fix. We knew exactly the parts needed and even the Nissan garage tried to get the parts for us but no joy. I did not expect ANYTHING for free but 22,000 miles? That is not on. Nissan USA give a TEN year warranty on cvt or 120,000 miles. We all spend money and should be treated the same.
acrorat2015-02-12 17:57:29

#11 ·
Sorry to hear about this, mine's failed at around 5k - 7k and was replaced under warranty, they should last a lot longer than 22k and I would have expected something from Nissan regarding this even though servicing was done elsewhere, as you say USA have extended warranties, probably due to multiple fails but we get stuffed!John
acrorat2015-02-12 17:58:31

#12 ·
Interesting to see other CVT failures, mine failed yesterday (62 plate 1.6 CVT) also at 22,000 miles. Fortunately it's still under warranty as there's no way I could afford £3-6k for a replacement. Sounds like failure is more common than I thought. (note to self to buy extended warranty if I keep it more than 3 years..)

#13 ·
It as nothing to do with loyalty Pat. You decided to save money and not servicing your car at a main dealer to save cost, hence the expression "cheap is dear" and now it's cost you. If you had of gone to a main dealer the problem you have now may have been discovered before it was to late.

#15 ·
Bighbomb wrote: Can't see the point of using none dealer servicing any more prices are quite competitive now especially with service plans as you have to use genuine parts and a vat registered garage to maintain you warrant. A three year plan is around £300 and major service £220

The £300 plan is only for the first 3 yrs and only on a new purchase.

I believe the cost of the next 3 services (4th 5th and 6th services) will be around £800 in total.

Lee

#16 ·
I had a Juke CVT replacement at just under 30k, no idea what mileage was hen it started playing up as the garage kept stalling on the root of the issue.

Car had full Nissan History and that didn't prevent the failure from occurring, find that earlier comment a bit harsh to say that using a non franchised garage for servicing somehow prevented diagnosis before it was too late. That may or may not be the case but my car drove flawlessly even when they replaced the box, once CVTs have issues they tend to be replacement only rather than any sort of repair so it may not be simple.

Manufacturer will say the warranty period is clearly defined as 3yr/60k, customer will say how is a gearbox failure at 22k acceptable? Both sides have valid points.

Not much use to you now Pat but for other Juke owners who have a warranty soon to end, the extended warranty was only £230 for a year when I took it out so may be an option for piece of mind.

#17 ·
Hi. I need some urgent advice. Bought my beautiful Juke Acenta in Dec 2010 from dealership. Serviced there 2011, 2013, 2014. Last couple of weeks it's been cutting out on me, and then lurching forward. when braking I have to keep my foot all the way down or it wants to stall. It's not even done 28000 miles yet, and is in excellent condition. Garage has just informed me I need a new automatic gear box at a cost of........£7000!!! I am in shock. surely, that cannot be right. So when I bought my car new, £7000 of it was obviously the gear box. Ridiculous. I've been advised to ring customer services - reading some of your comments this seems a common occurrence. I can't afford to pay this - any advice you can give me would be gratefully received.
acrorat2015-02-11 22:27:06

#18 ·
Hi Dianne, I don't have time right now to research this but i will later onI awoman on Facebook had the same issue and found the company that actually supplies Nissan with referred cvt boxes for a lot less that Nissan want Sadly I am afraid that you are VERY UNLIKELY to get any where with Nissan as they deny the CVT is rubbish even though the numbers suffering with premature failure grows on a daily basis

#20 ·
Harry wrote:I bought Juke Acenta in September 2011. It has 23000 miles on clock.Told today it needs new gearbox. Nissan not interested or Park'set garage where it was purchased. Surely Nissan must take note of these complaints!
that will be the second one i have read about todaySadly any complaints about this issue outside of warranty regardless of circumstances is being ignored and fobbed of by Nissan, even worse they are putting it down to fair wear and tear.

#22 ·
#24 ·
My Juke has just been diagnosed with CVT failure, at 18,000 miles and just 3 months outside the warranty period.Westway Nissan (Southampton) are persuing a 'goodwill gesture' from Nissan GB on my behalf. Fingers crossed!For reference, my symptoms were: - Awful 'clattering' noise from engine when idling in 'P' or 'N'. When 'R', 'D' or 'L' were selected, the noise disappeared. - 'Binding brake' type noise when pulling away at low speed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.