Nissan Juke Forum banner

Condensation problem - lights

18K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  actd 
#1 ·
I have a new Juke, Reg 01/09/2015. I am experiencing condensation problems on one of my rear light clusters. I have reported this issue to my dealer, who has given me a Bulletin (No.10) from Nissan saying this is a common issue and giving an explantion that I find unacceptable. Basically they say it is because of the heat generated by the lights, there is an aperture to vent this heat, which also then draws in cooler air, whch then condenses. This only happens on one of my lights, and despite this bulletin saying it is common on cars, it never happened on my Qashqai.Before I formally complain to Nissan, has anyone else had this problem?Over time this continual condensation action will corrode the light unit and adversely affect the light itself, which could end up with it failing the MOT, if I keep the car for 3 years.Apart from that car is fantatsic.ThanksRod Collier

#6 ·
Everyones in panic mode again a bit of condensation, in march i will have had my juke three years and there as always been condense in the rear lights even with the originals.It was not so noticeable then because they were of a dark red plastic so was not so noticeable.So around 12 months i changed to the face lift and it does standout more because of the amount of clear plastic and as for seals there isn't any, only o"rings where the bulbs fit.so when it gets warmer the condensation will disappear.

#7 ·
I had this problem with drl's and tail clusters,my dealer also tried to fob me off so I contacted Nissan customer services,i provided photo's so they could see the problem and eventually I had all my lights replaced under warrantry,this took several weeks to accomplish,no help from the service manager to quote"it comes better from the customer"hope you have some joy

#12 ·
Mine is a facelift model 65 plate and my O/S/R light is doing the same. Car is booked in at the dealers next month to be sorted ( i hope ) and i also have pics to show them. Mine stands out bad because its right up the side where the red light is so i want the light changing. The O/S/R light is fine so i thing its a problem with the unit because of it only happening on one side not both.

#13 ·
Had the car back to the dealers today because both of my rear lights are doing it up and around the red light area. The tech who looked at the car and pics i had taken said its normal on the juke to have this issue. I have been in the motor trade for 25yrs and never in that time have i heard of it being ok to have water in lights. It will cause problems with the light board and it looks terrible on a brand new car. In the end i lost my temper and walked out the place because at no point could i understand how its ok to have water in the light units. This is the first new car i have had in over ten years because i had the same problems back then with a different brand. You pay your money and get fobbed off once there shoddy work starts causing problems. There is no way they are getting away with it and i have set the ball rolling with a friend who works at the nissan factory to see what and why this problem is happening. Its ok saying its normal but most people intend to keep there cars for a long time and once the warranty runs out who is going to pay for the new units once the lights start flashing over. If you think its normal then you really need to look into this problem more and understand what will happen when the water starts causing electrical faults. There is no way i am sitting back on this because if you owned a veyron you would not think twice about complaining if it had water in the lights. In my eyes nissan need to get this problem sorted because your lights are a important part of the car that should be seen bright and not dulled down with a condensation fault.Rant over and sorry

#14 ·
I look forward to your next post with further news

#15 ·
Just my 'pennies worth' on the subject ... but NO It's NOT normal or acceptable no matter how much your Dealer or their Technician try's to fob you off!Any moisture, let alone water within the Light Unit WILL cause corrosion to occur, either to any bulb holders present (leading to an electrical breakdown by way of a failure of the clean contact between any lamp in the holder and the body of the holder ), corrosion between any contacts, building up an electrical resistance leading to either bulb failure or just stopping the bulb from receiving a feed or discharge path or a breakdown of any soldered contacts on PCB's such as those used with LED's?Whilst this may not happen 'over night' or within the limited period of the supplied warranty [no doubt the main reason no action is taken as once outside of warranty it Not Their Problem] don't be lulled in to a false sense of security by Del boy's distant cousin in a modern day suit telling you 'Don't worry Sir/Madam this is normal, it's nothing to worry about'! It IS ... plus it look's PANTS!!! One thing, if your happy to accept your Dealers word that it IS OK, ask them to put it in writing ... shouldn't be a problem for them to do that for you ... should it? M-J

#16 ·
When i got home yesterday i sent an email to nissan uk but not heard anything back yet. The next plan is to get the phone number and call them to see if they are going to do anything about it. I am not sitting back on this one and i will not rest until something gets sorted out. The service manager tried everyway possible to try and tell me that its ok to have condensation in light units !! but after i told him what i do for a living he sort of went blank. I told him to go and get the tech who looked at my car because i wanted to teach him a few things about cars but he point blank said no. My friend who works in the factory at sunderland is going to have a word with a manager to tell him about all the jukes suffering with the fault to see if they can do anything to get the problem sorted for all us owners. I am not the sort of guy to just sit back and let things go over my head and i am going to take this all the way to the top even if i have to go over to the factory and speak with someone. I took one of the light units out myself today to see if there is a vent where the water can get in but there is not. The bulbs are a lock in type with rubber rings around the fittings and they are nice and tight so i doubt it can get in there. the only other place would be the seams around the units so that is a manufacture fault that needs to be looked at further. I plan to take the unit out next week and put it in water just above the seam to see if thats where its getting in and if it is i will take a video to show this problem and make sure someone high up in nissan gets to see it.Why oh why did i buy a new car lol

#17 ·
Hi johnc1,Try and contact Nissan Customer Service through the Facebook site - if you do Facebook!I see Nissan GB have started to post in here - they are more than welcome to get as involved as they feel necessary - so maybe Nissan GB will pop in to this thread too?Good luck with the condensation issue.Cheers,Cofnchtr.

#18 ·
In my last car I just drilled a very small hole at the bottom of the lens so the water could drain out and the air inside could 'breethe' , however when it went for its next service, the dealer said'we noticed the light had condensation so we changed it under warranty'

Thanks Jeep !

Miff

#19 ·
Just a little update: Had a call today from nissan so making your point heard gets the ball rolling i guess. The guy who i need to speak with was on another line so i am waiting for the call back to see what will happen. Not only am i complaining about my car but also every other juke out there with the same fault so we will see where this goes and with a bit of luck it might get nissan to put out a recall on the light units because of so many ppl suffering with the same fault on there cars.

#23 ·
I am a new owner of Nissan Juke 2016 tekna model. Bought car two weeks ago from Nissan dealer and after rains and cold found my both rear lights have condensation very bad, it looked new car with condensation unbelievable. I have contacted dealer and going to see service department under warranty. Let's see what they have to say !!! I won't be happy if this is not sorted by them

#26 ·
I've never really considered that this can be cured - the lights are not sealed as they have to allow air out when the lights are on as the air around the bulbs will be heated, and therefore expanding, and when the lights are off, they will draw air back in, which will contain moisture. When it's cold outside, the moisture will condense on the lenses just the same as it will on a window (which is why we have fans and aircon to clear the windows. If they made the whole light a sealed unit, that would resolve it, but then you'd be looking at replacing a whole light unit just because a bulb has blown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.