Servicing after warranty?

Non-Technical Nissan Juke chat.
Christoff

Servicing after warranty?

Post by Christoff » Sat May 11, 2019 4:54 pm

I've always been to Nissan dealers to get my services (and first MOT) during my warranty period.

I'm now in need of my second MOT, my first outside of warranty.

Nissan suggest a major service in the fourth year.

I've only done about 16,000 miles in those four years though - is it really necessary to go for a major?

One dealership suggested I could get away with a minor on those miles, but go for a major next year. Another suggested I could go for a "Level 2 service" this year (cheaper) and then a minor this year. A Level 1 service also exists but is apparently just an oil and oil filter change (plus breakdown cover) for £109.

I'm just wondering what others do, and what people suggest I do.

Before my Juke I had an old banger for less than a year and never had to get it serviced or MOTed. Since 8 got my Juke from new, I've always been to Nissan dealerships, but I'm not sure if I should still be loyal to them, given their prices, or if the whole minor/major stuff is just a ripoff. Or even if a service is a waste of time after only 4/5,000 miles since my last one a year ago!

When selling the car, how much are those service stamps worth (and are official dealership stamps worth more)? And does it make a difference with the various types of services available?

I'd appreciate any suggestions and feedback anyone can provide please.

vexorg

Re: Servicing after warranty?

Post by vexorg » Sun May 12, 2019 10:01 am

A lot of the items are also time related too. I just change it all myself. The average modern car should still have a service once a year. For cars you really care about 6 months or 6,000 miles.

Ours is at 70,000 miles for 4 years old, I like getting my money's worth out a car :D

Duncan22

Post by Duncan22 » Sun May 12, 2019 6:21 pm

Good question, perhaps the answer is what are you planning to do with the car in the future ? If you change your car every 3 or 4 years then a stamp in the service book whilst costly is essential.....would you buy a car less than say 6 years old without a service book.?
In my case I have a 2012 Juke, no intention of getting it serviced as I drive my cars into the ground, not exactly what they do on a service that the average person with the correct tools could not do themselves and save a fair bit of cash as well.
How long does it take to do a oil change and renew the oil filter ? Other than that exactly what else does a service entail you could not do yourself ?
Whatever job you need to do on the Juke you can be certain there is a youtube video showing you how to do it but do watch several and not just one.

Christoff

Post by Christoff » Sun May 12, 2019 7:11 pm

Duncan22 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:21 pm
Good question, perhaps the answer is what are you planning to do with the car in the future ? If you change your car every 3 or 4 years then a stamp in the service book whilst costly is essential.....would you buy a car less than say 6 years old without a service book.?
In my case I have a 2012 Juke, no intention of getting it serviced as I drive my cars into the ground, not exactly what they do on a service that the average person with the correct tools could not do themselves and save a fair bit of cash as well.
How long does it take to do a oil change and renew the oil filter ? Other than that exactly what else does a service entail you could not do yourself ?
Whatever job you need to do on the Juke you can be certain there is a youtube video showing you how to do it but do watch several and not just one.
I have no idea how long I'll keep it and I've never bought a second hand car, which is why I was asking for opinions about the service book - I don't know what I'd do as I've not been in that situation.

I've had it for nearly 4 years now and I'm still happy with it. I imagine that at some point I'll sell it, but I don't know when - it's only my second car and my first good/new car - I'm new to this situation.

In terms of servicing, does it matter which service I get, considering I hardly do any miles? I'm meant to be due a major, but as I said before, one dealership suggested I'd be ok with a minor and another said ok with a level 2. If I only need an oil change though, should I not just choose the bare minimum level 1 service, if I still get a stamp? I don't know if it'll say that in the book or how closely people look at service history, or if it matters that much if it's been serviced...?

I probably will get it serviced, but knowing which one to choose would be useful, if anyone has any suggestions please?

Bernie

Post by Bernie » Sun May 12, 2019 7:21 pm

Hi Christoff,You are the owner of the car so it is down to you whether you have a service or not, Can I ask who is doing the Mot, Why not get them to do the service at a price that your happy with. The mileage that your doing does not need a major service someone is trying to get their hands on your money, Please let us know how you are going on with your decision.
Its only a Juke if it's RED.

Christoff

Post by Christoff » Sun May 12, 2019 8:25 pm

Bernie wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:21 pm
Hi Christoff,You are the owner of the car so it is down to you whether you have a service or not, Can I ask who is doing the Mot, Why not get them to do the service at a price that your happy with. The mileage that your doing does not need a major service someone is trying to get their hands on your money, Please let us know how you are going on with your decision.
My first MOT was done by Nissan, as I've always gone to them for services during warranty period, and my first MOT was done just before my warranty expired.

Since I've always gone to Nissan, I planned to continue. But it's not cheap (though neither, after a quick search, do other local garages seem cheap). I had planned to get a service and MOT with Nissan again.

I know it's down to me as to whether I get it serviced, but I'm looking for opinions from people more experienced in owning and buying cars - I'm not sure what to do. On the one hand, I'd like to part with as little money as possible, but on the other, if I come to sell the car and it doesn't have adequate service history...?

Does anyone know how much difference it makes to potential future buyers, whether it has the recommended service type (e.g. Officially Nissan suggest a major in the fourth year), or something lower? And if this level 1 or 2 service would be seen negatively to future buyers?

FYI, level 1 is just oil and oil filler for £109 (plus £40 MOT). Level 2 adds either air or pollen filter (can't remember which) for £169 (plus £40 MOT). A minor adds the other air/pollen filter, from what I've been told (£209 I think, plus £40 MOT) - other than that I don't think there's a difference. Major I think is £289 plus £40 MOT.

What you get doesn't seem like big differences that should matter when selling (even though there's a lot of monetary difference), but I'm not sure if there'd still be any negative feeling from a future buyer if it didn't go through the recommended service type? How closely do people look at service history when buying cars? And outside of warranty, how much does it matter to get a manufacturer service vs one from elsewhere?

vexorg

Post by vexorg » Sun May 12, 2019 8:33 pm

A major service should probably also include coolant and brake fluid, though I think most have them as added extra even though the service plan lists them.

Duncan22

Post by Duncan22 » Mon May 13, 2019 11:27 am

I guess if you did a trade in at the Nissan dealers and they had serviced your car you are likely to get the best trade in deal, I suspect stamps from any other garage might be used to give you less for your car.
As to a private sale, impossible to say, I have always purchased second hand cars and without a service history I would not buy it but I have never bothered if the stamp was from the main dealer or a local garage, to me the key thing is the oil and filter change along with replacement of any timing belts if it is near that mileage, most other stuff like tyres, state of bodywork etc you can check yourself. The main thing that would put me off purchasing a car is frequent change of ownership irrespective of service history.
I accept this does not answer some of the questions you ask but I can only base it on my personal experience of the numerous cars of various makes I have had over the years.
One final thought, if you are going to feel anxious about a garage other than the dealer servicing it then take the hit and go to the dealers.
Personally I have never used a main dealer......think of the overheads in a dealership, fancy building, staff other than mechanics, who pays for all that well no prizes for guessing who.
:D

Christoff

Post by Christoff » Mon May 13, 2019 1:04 pm

Duncan22 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:27 am
I guess if you did a trade in at the Nissan dealers and they had serviced your car you are likely to get the best trade in deal, I suspect stamps from any other garage might be used to give you less for your car.
As to a private sale, impossible to say, I have always purchased second hand cars and without a service history I would not buy it but I have never bothered if the stamp was from the main dealer or a local garage, to me the key thing is the oil and filter change along with replacement of any timing belts if it is near that mileage, most other stuff like tyres, state of bodywork etc you can check yourself. The main thing that would put me off purchasing a car is frequent change of ownership irrespective of service history.
I accept this does not answer some of the questions you ask but I can only base it on my personal experience of the numerous cars of various makes I have had over the years.
One final thought, if you are going to feel anxious about a garage other than the dealer servicing it then take the hit and go to the dealers.
Personally I have never used a main dealer......think of the overheads in a dealership, fancy building, staff other than mechanics, who pays for all that well no prizes for guessing who.
:D
Thanks for your views.

I'm tempted to go with the level 1 service (oil and oil filter) for £109, to get the breakdown cover and an "official" stamp - I'll have to confirm with them again that it comes with those. If it does, I'm thinking a major or even a minor is overkill now.

vexorg

Post by vexorg » Mon May 13, 2019 2:06 pm

What engine?

Annual servicing is not overkill, it's vital.

Return to “Main Juke Discussion”