As
the title suggests I have fitted a pair of HIDs to my Juke!! After a
lot of research into this matter a few others on here giving me a
hand with a few things (Lukeplayer, M-J, Gadget, actd and probably a
few more) I decided I would go down the HID route as I really like
the look you get from Projector lens's with HIDs (Merc's, Audi's
etc).

After
a fair amount of deliberation, I opted for these off ebay in 4300K H11. I went 4300K as they would just look like OEM ones!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANBUS-XENON-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-MINI-AC-35W-BALLASTS-H1-H3-H7-H11-HB3-HB4-9005-6-/370911540204?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item565c0cf3ec

Seemed pretty decent and also is Canbus compatible as some of us were
unsure as to whether the new Juke has this or not. After doing this,
i'm pretty certain it doesn't, but doesn't hurt to get a kit that is.

They
arrived and they came decently packaged, nothing flash, just all
plain white boxes.

Right
anyway, onto the fitting. I'll start with the passenger side as there
is more room. The bulbs had been in and out on both sides a fair few
times so I am an expert in getting the bulbs in and out. Remove the
rubber cover from the back of the fitting. There is 2 of these, you
want the larger one of the two.

To
remove the bulb you just need to twist the bulb about 90 degrees.
With the bulb removed, you need to unclip the bulb. I did this by
using a flat glass's screwdriver and pushed the clip open so the bulb will now pop out.Right, now we get our HID kit. Mine came with the ballast and the bulb separate. You have 2 choices of what to do here, you can either cut holes in the rubber cover for the wires to pass through or as i did it with the wires coming out of the side and then securing the cover with some insulation tape. I could've done the hole method but i decided against it as i didnt want to cut anything as there is a grommet already on the kit Make your decision on how your are going to go with this one then wire the ballast and bulb together.First, i would put the bulb onto the bulb holder. Ensure that the shield that runs alongside the bulb is facing down or as close as you can get it. The reason for this is that a projector lens mirrors anything that goes through it. So, the shield will in theory be blocking any stray light above.Now your bulb is in, time to connect it to the car. On my kit there is 2 wires with prongs on the end of them that just push into the 2 holes in the car connector. The wires are black and green, on my kit, the black wire went to the black connector and the red one to be the green connector.
I then put some insulation taper over the connector to cover up the connection.
Find suitable places to secure the ballast, wiring, ingniters with cable ties or whatever you're using.Then the moment of truth, give it a go.The drivers side is a bit more difficult in terms of you aint got as much room to work. What i did is unscrewed the horn which is here.There is a nut on the back of it, carefully unscrew it until you can do it by hand, be careful not to drop the nut, there is also a washer so dont lose that either. You can also undo the nuts that hold the upper light fitting to give a bit more roomSo pretty much repeat the process from the other side, just not as much room to play with. The most awkward part is the 2 black wiring looms in the way. These go into a black box nearby which does have a bit of movement in it so u can move these around a bit. Just need to be patient and take you time with the whole job.This is what mine look like.Pretty good colour match to the LED sidelights.AS you can see a nice beam pattern, pretty much same as the halogens were giving but far far far more light.I went out and gave them a road test, no one flashed me. In in all £36 well spent!! Actually quite a simple mod to do.Russ

RussTheJuke832015-01-11 14:25:24

See less See more
#2 ·
Very good job,and great photos,looking good,did you need to connect any wires to the battery terminals at all,as I seen someone on youtube who connected his hids to a battery connection for an earth,thanks for the pictures and showing us how its done,especially for a soon to be duke owner like myself
Waiting patiently for an tekna 1.6 CVT in storm whitejoe902015-01-11 13:51:31

#3 ·
Nothing connected to battery. It looks like if you have hi/lo beams off the same bulb you do, but not for single beam kits. Anyway he wouldn't be connecting to his battery for an earth!!
RussTheJuke832015-01-11 14:28:25

#6 ·
top man Russ and a blinding job done, sorry about the pun! So when I get mine using your handy link are you coming to Harlow to fit them for me or am I coming to you . The light output just from the pictures look loads better but I'm surprised you didn't do a before and after picture.

#7 ·
Unless the headlamp is specifically designed for HID, in otherwise e marked then aftermarket kits are illegal. Oh and the traffic cops are "stopping people all the time for them

The below was taken from the dept for transports website:

"In summary it is not permitted to convert a halogen headlamp unit for use with hid bulbs..... The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bubs"

#8 ·
Lukeplayer187 wrote: top man Russ and a blinding job done, sorry about the pun! So when I get mine using your handy link are you coming to Harlow to fit them for me or am I coming to you . The light output just from the pictures look loads better but I'm surprised you didn't do a before and after picture.
2 reasons1. I forgot!2. We all know what the light output is normallyWith regards to fitting them, it is a lot easier than you think, it is literally plug n play!

#9 ·
We have all been over the legalities of fitting HID kits Bighbomb and every one on here is aware of them. They are fitted at owners risk. But seeing as Russ has gone for 4300 light temp they don't look blue they as Russ explained look OEM so can't see him getting any aggro from PC plod. Lukeplayer1872015-01-11 16:11:23

#10 ·
Bighbomb wrote:Unless the headlamp is specifically designed for HID, in otherwise e marked then aftermarket kits are illegal. Oh and the traffic cops are "stopping people all the time for themThe below was taken from the dept for transports website:"In summary it is not permitted to convert a halogen headlamp unit for use with hid bulbs..... The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bubs"Although you are not wrong, I think you can assume that those fitting these kits do already know that :)Pretty much impossible to search for anything related to doing the conversion without tripping over that little detail.

#11 ·
RussTheJuke83 wrote: Lukeplayer187 wrote: top man Russ and a blinding job done, sorry about the pun! So when I get mine using your handy link are you coming to Harlow to fit them for me or am I coming to you . The light output just from the pictures look loads better but I'm surprised you didn't do a before and after picture.

2 reasons
1. I forgot!
2. We all know what the light output is normally
With regards to fitting them, it is a lot easier than you think, it is literally plug n play!
Yeah silly question really when you state number 2

#13 ·
Lukeplayer187 wrote:We have all been over the legalities of fitting HID kits Bighbomb and every one on here is aware of them. They are fitted at owners risk. But seeing as Russ has gone for 4300 light temp they don't look blue they as Russ explained look OEM so can't see him getting any aggro from PC plod. Precisely.You see cars with blue lights, yellow ones, in some cases none at all.I know they are a grey area in law, but the thing that deems a car road legal is an MOT, and some people claim to thru an MOT with these so called illegal mods. Also, I haven't got one of them for the best part of 3 years either.Also, if u didn't know any different u would assume they are just very good halogen bulbs!

#14 ·
RussTheJuke83 wrote:I know they are a grey area in law, but the thing that deems a car road legal is an MOT, and some people claim to thru an MOT with these so called illegal mods. Also, I haven't got one of them for the best part of 3 years either.I really didn't want to start up yet another legal debate so soon after the last one, but just for clairty, they are not a 'grey area' they are illegal for the reasons we've covered many times recently.Also the MOT is not what determines that a car is legal on the roads, that would be the construction and use regulations. You can pass an MOT and get done for something under construction and use as you drive out the garage holding your new MOT and have no comeback.The purpose of the MOT is to check that cars etc. comply with key road-worthiness and environmental requirements. It is not a confirmation that your car is 'legal'.

#15 ·
Mark_T wrote:RussTheJuke83 wrote:I know they are a grey area in law, but the thing that deems a car road legal is an MOT, and some people claim to thru an MOT with these so called illegal mods. Also, I haven't got one of them for the best part of 3 years either.I really didn't want to start up yet another legal debate so soon after the last one, but just for clairty, they are not a 'grey area' they are illegal for the reasons we've covered many times recently.Also the MOT is not what determines that a car is legal on the roads, that would be the construction and use regulations. You can pass an MOT and get done for something under construction and use as you drive out the garage holding your new MOT and have no comeback.The purpose of the MOT is to check that cars etc. comply with key road-worthiness and environmental requirements. It is not a confirmation that your car is 'legal'.Neither did I!!!

#16 ·
I think the most telling posting is that photo - the top of the beam is a nice sharp line. One of the articles I read about compatibility was that the alignment of a bulb is a filament front to rear, whereas the HID was a side-to-side arc, so the focus would be different, but this does look like the alignment is very similar to the original.

#17 ·
actd wrote:I think the most telling posting is that photo - the top of the beam is a nice sharp line. One of the articles I read about compatibility was that the alignment of a bulb is a filament front to rear, whereas the HID was a side-to-side arc, so the focus would be different, but this does look like the alignment is very similar to the original.I would say exactly the same. Shows how good the projectors are.I was doing some research into the headlamps. On the Vale Web catalogue, it only lists 1 type of unit for the facelift juke which is the projectors. Whether they use the same unit for the OEM xenon who knows?!?!

#22 ·
Lukeplayer187 wrote:We have all been over the legalities of fitting HID kits Bighbomb and every one on here is aware of them. They are fitted at owners risk. But seeing as Russ has gone for 4300 light temp they don't look blue they as Russ explained look OEM so can't see him getting any aggro from PC plod.
Totally agree,police have got more things to worry about than cars headlights,like all these terrorists running around killing people

#23 ·
nice write up mk1 and mk2 can be upgrade (i hate facelift)great stuff i'm not going to go into the legalities crap had enough of that now,it shows it can be done on 4300k as well as the 6000k,before the blue tinge kicks in at 8000k and total blue at 10000k. if nissan put them in as standard instead of the continual use of crap lamps inside as well as outside we would not have to go to these measures infact i do not know how they get away with such poor lighting i would be totally embarrassed to supply a vehicle like it.

#24 ·
Gadget wrote: nice write up mk1 and mk2 can be upgrade (i hate facelift)great stuff i'm not going to go into the legalities crap had enough of that now,it shows it can be done on 4300k as well as the 6000k,before the blue tinge kicks in at 8000k and total blue at 10000k. if nissan put them in as standard instead of the continual use of crap lamps inside as well as outside we would not have to go to these measures infact i do not know how they get away with such poor lighting i would be totally embarrassed to supply a vehicle like it.Why u not like facelift?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.