DIY Oil Change on a 1.2 DIG-T Juke

Got a problem, look here to see if its known or let others know of the issue
Paul_S

Post by Paul_S » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:56 am

This guide explains how to do an oil change for Jukes with the new 1.2 DIG-T (115PS) engine.I did a guide for the 1.6 na oil change here. It's basically the same procedure so have a read of that guide, but the new 1.2 engine offers a few challenges because the filter and drain plug are of a different design.Special ToolsFirstly, the drain plug needs an 8mm square drive. I didn't have one of these but luckily enough I found a rod from a door handle fits just fine! I chopped the end off and fitted it into a 10mm hex socket and this worked a treat:The oil filter is not the conventional screw-on type. Instead you will be replacing the hidden behind this cover:You will need a 27mm hex socket to remove this. I would definitely recommend a hex socket rather than a star one because it will be very easy to round off the plastic head. I ended up buying a new 27mm impact socket from Halfords for a tenner.You will also need some paper towel (actually A LOT of paper towel - more on this later) and something to drain the oil into.New parts = replacement oil, filter and drain plug washerI got the oil and filter from my Nissan dealer. The part numbers are as follows:New style drain plug washer - 32135AX001New style oil filter element - 1520900Q0FThe oil they supplied me (54-30 DFP for diesels apparently!) - KE90090043Total cost of the above was £45.91 Note that the oil filter is just a paper filter and that it comes with a new rubber o-ring for the filter cover. There is a slightly different part number from the one above which also includes a replacement filter cover should you need one (e.g. if the plastic nut is damaged).Here is the filter and o-ring:The copper drain plug washer is different from the normal ones Nissan use (see my other thread) so be sure to get the right one. This picture shows the new one on the left and the old (squashed) one on the right:
Always in 'Sport' because life's too short

Paul_S

Post by Paul_S » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:56 am

Draining the oilGet your oil pan ready and use your 8mm square drive tool to remove the drain plug:Wait for it to stop dripping before fitting the new copper washer and refitting the plug (tighten to 34 Nm).Now for the fun bit (NOT!). I have nothing nice to say about the (Renault designed) oil filter. The filter cover will still have a lot oil still inside it. Having done this once now I have learned a few tricks so I think this is the best way to tackle it. I had oil everywhere on my first attempt!Firstly, make sure your driveway is well protected and that you have a lot of paper towel to hand. The picture below shows the filter cover removed. I have highlighted 3 important things:The arrow points to the rubber o-ring (that you will be replacing). I have circled the arrow pointing to the drain hole, and the drain hole itself.If you do not have a torque wrench (or one that goes as low as 25 Nm) then make a mark on the engine where the drain arrow is pointing to.Undo the cover and after a little you will have a small dribble of oil coming out of the drain hole:I think at this stage I would undo the cover just a little more then leave it to drain (until it stops dripping). Not that there will still be a lot of oil in the bottom of the filter cover and that when you undo it more then the filter hole will still leak oil.It's a really bad design because as you undo the filter cover, the filter hole spins around with it and it's difficult to catch the oil that drips out. Also, with the oil dripping, I found it impossible to undo the cover without oil dripping off my hand.Basically, it's cr@p! The old think I can that is good is that both the drain plug and filter are at the bottom of the engine so any oil drips do not run down the engine block itself. Just everywhere else!!OK, with the filter cover removed, the filter element stays in place on the engine. Clean the cover up and fit the new o-ring. Let the filter drip whilst you are doing this.Next, just pull the old filter element out (getting oil all over the place again!) and push the new one in place:Having cleaned up the cover and replaced the o-ring seal, screw the cover back in place and tighten to 25 Nm torque. Be careful not to over tighten it. When done, the drain arrow was pointing in the same direction as before. So if you don't have a torque wrench tighten your cover up so it lines up with the mark you made earlier.You have now replaced the filter, o-ring, and sump plug washer so the engine is oil tight again.Finally, pour in the new oil. The manual says the engine takes 4.63 Litres including the filter.Paul_S2014-11-23 12:17:40

Paul_S

Post by Paul_S » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:57 am

With about a litre of oil in the engine, check for leaks. There shouldn't be any!Fill up to the 4.63 litres and start the engine up. Let it warm through and then turn the engine off. Check the level on the dipstick after 10 minutes.I think that's all you need to know. I will probably update this next time I change the oil to let you know if I've found a neater way of draining the engine and filter than on my first attempt!Paul_S2014-11-23 12:20:42

actd

Post by actd » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:41 pm

One suggestion for undoing the cover - try putting a plastic bag over the cover and turning with the bag on - hopefully, the bag would catch all of the oil dripping down, and also the cover would drop into the bag when undone so any oil in the bottom of the cover would also be caught by the bag.
2012 - Acenta Premium dCI - Gun metallic
2014 - Acenta Premium 1.2 DiG-T - Nightshade
2015 - Acenta Premium 1.6 DiG-T - Black
2017 - N-Connecta 1.6 DiG-T - Black

Paul_S

Post by Paul_S » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:45 pm

actd wrote:One suggestion for undoing the cover - try putting a plastic bag over the cover and turning with the bag on - hopefully, the bag would catch all of the oil dripping down, and also the cover would drop into the bag when undone so any oil in the bottom of the cover would also be caught by the bag.
Good advice! Thanks

nistech88

Post by nistech88 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:47 am

Nice write up there. Do you work in a nissan garage. Why have you serviced one so soon. Is it just to show how to.
acrorat2015-01-18 12:25:27

forrest85

Post by forrest85 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:29 pm

HelloCan somebody give a suggest what kind of oil do I use? I want to use Elf oil but don't know which type. My car is DIG-T 1.2 2015Or not Elf what?

acrorat

Post by acrorat » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:34 am

It should state which fluids to use in your User Manual.
Haptic Blue Tekna AWD 08/11/11

forrest85

Post by forrest85 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:55 pm

It suggest 5w30. But the idiot dealer filled up with 5w40 Elf Evolution SXR.I would change to 5W30. What do You think?

acrorat

Post by acrorat » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:05 pm

I think 5W40 is a slightly thicker oil, though they are both synthetics, which is good. I believe ELF make the oils for Nissan.You may have issues with your warranty by using the wrong oil - even though it seems just a little bit wrong.Since the dealer is at fault, he should change it to the recommended oil for free!
Haptic Blue Tekna AWD 08/11/11

Return to “Faults and Fixes”