Nissan Juke Forum banner

Front camera...

56K views 122 replies 36 participants last post by  Duncan22 
#1 ·
Was sitting here thinking...

For anyone who has a rear camera fitted, I'm pondering the thought that there must be a 'switch' to turn it on with the reverse circuit.
I'm therefore pondering the concept that this switch could be triggered by a simple x voltage, possibly even on the same circuit as the reverse light.

Which lead to further ponder that it should be possible to spoof that trigger from a different source of the same voltage.

So, in theory, by splicing a front facing camera into the rear camera feeds into the back of the connect unit, and adding a dash mounted switch, it could theoretically be possible to trigger a front camera to display on the screen.

Anyone had a good poke around the back of a connect unit?

This whole theory gets blown out of the water is it runs off a canbus

#2 ·
that means absolutely nothing to me, but I will add I dont know how it works but I am pretty certain the QQ 360 uses the same connect system as the Juke but it has 4 cameras on it. CTR is really the man to answer that as he is mr QQ but just my 2 penny worth on the subject

#5 ·
Nice one - welcome K12THH! :)I'm at a minor disadvantage of not actually having the car to play with yet, but it's high on my to do list (well, to at least investigate it) when it does get here...

#8 ·
Hi TTDegs,
I have had the exact same thoughts as yourself, so I will be looking at mine in more depth in the next few days, and will report back to you, im abit stuck just now as I've just had an operation on my knee, but should be on the go again real soon, watch this space
Keith

#10 ·
I remember looking into fitting a camera to the Connect on my Note and found a wiring diagram after a web search (no, sorry dont have it any more). Anyway, the camera connection is one of the pins on the main connector and when it sees a signal, it turns the input on and switches display.The signal came from the camera itself - the camera is powered off until the reverse light supplies power to it - so in answer to your thought, if you connected a front camera to the same pin, then simply powering it up "should" force the Connect to switch on the display (it doesn't care if the camera is pointing fore or aft). Not sure what would happen if both cameras were powered simultaneously - assume you would simply get two images overlayed.Hope this helps.Jeff

#20 ·
Nice idea for a mod Since the Nismo has a newer style Nav/Connect system then the loom might well be different than anything we've seen so far on the Juke. Am I right in thinking the Nismo has a reverse camera already? If so, it should be relatively straightforward to intercept the 12v reverse signal and video signal into the head unit. So you can fit a switch to supply 12v to fool the head unit and switch to the forward camera too. Obviously you would need to isolate the real reverse signal and camera because you don't want to cause 2x 12v signals to go into he head unit.The camera in your ebay link should work fine. A CMOS camera would be better than the CCD in low light conditions but since you have the headlights it will be OK. One thing is that they say the camera fits all those Nissan badges but I struggle to believe that since I know for a fact the 350Z, 370Z & Juke badges are all different sizes. Also, they are all at different angles so I would not like to guarantee it points exactly where you want. I expect you could make it work though.Good luck, I like to see unique mods

#22 ·
All the ones I've seen have only ever used NTSC so that would be my guess.

Don't forget that just about all reversing cameras flip the image and so are no good for front-facing but, obviously the camera in the link is correct.

#23 ·
I really must be missing the point here - can someone tell me what the advantage of a front facing camera is?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.