CVT, normal or not?

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
goldenwonder

CVT, normal or not?

Post by goldenwonder » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:51 pm

I've just bought a 2014 Tekna 1.6 NA CVT and wished I'd read these forums about the CVT first! It seems like its only a matter of time before it packs in on me - with mine being a March 2014 I guess I've got the 'rubbish' version of the box!

However its working at the moment but there's a couple of things I've noticed that I'm not sure if they're just the way the cvt works or if they are a fault.

First thing is the jerky nature in traffic when on and off the throttle at 1100-1200 rpm (but not really at any other speed) - where it feels like I'm a learner driver bouncing off the throttle! At slightly higher revs its seems fine though,.

The other thing is the slight jerk when slowing right down to a stop - there's a sensation of what feels to me like the 'clutch' being released as you finally stop, which is a bit of an odd sensation compared to my previous 'normal' automatic.

Are they normal parts of driving a cvt or is mine faulty already? Having had several traditional autos and a couple of dsg's the cvt is a completely different beast!

wrinkly47

Re: CVT, normal or not?

Post by wrinkly47 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:54 am

I have a Nismo Rs with a cvt box and do not have either of the two symptoms you describe.

This is a second generation box so may be an unfair comparison.

The cvt in many cases drives like an ordinary auto box but when cold or being driven hard it holds the revs at a high level and it feels strange when the throttle is controlling the gearbox and not the engine.

Suggest get an opinion from a dealer.

Hope you do not have a serious fault.

goldenwonder

Re: CVT, normal or not?

Post by goldenwonder » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:22 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - I guess my cvt is a different type to yours?

To be honest, it doesn't feel right, the feeling of a lurch when pulling up to a stop is odd, and the jumpy/jerky nature in traffic is at odds with what I thought a cvt box would be like!

Its out of nissan warranty now so I'm going to get shot of it as soon as its feasible.

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”