Small amount of Diesel in my petrol Juke

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Marki

Post by Marki » Tue May 13, 2014 7:33 pm

I had a brain fade today and put about 5 litres of diesel in my Juke before I realised what I was doing.I've just gone from having a diesel car for 3 years and my mind was elsewhere.After I realised what I had done I filled the tank up with 37 litres of petrol and drove the car home.It drove fine for the 2 miles home, not making any strange noises or producing smoke and accelerated normally.Will the dilution be enough to stop any damage ? or should I get the engine drained ?

Deks

Post by Deks » Tue May 13, 2014 7:47 pm

Id be inclined to get advice, although i think it will be fine its always best to be certain
I think it will take more than one tank to flush the diesel thru and if it was me i would be adding fuel addititves and cleaners to the tank aswell .

Try to seek some advice from someone in the know that isnt going to try and rip you off for somethingyou dont need doing

actd

Post by actd » Tue May 13, 2014 11:20 pm

Unfortunately, I doubt that any professional would take the risk in telling you it's ok because they'd be worried about any comeback if there was a subsequent problem. Personally, I'd be inclined to syphon the lot out to use in a lawnmower or similar and then refill the tank again - that should dilute it a lot.actd2014-05-13 23:22:50
2012 - Acenta Premium dCI - Gun metallic
2014 - Acenta Premium 1.2 DiG-T - Nightshade
2015 - Acenta Premium 1.6 DiG-T - Black
2017 - N-Connecta 1.6 DiG-T - Black

Simon

Post by Simon » Wed May 14, 2014 11:34 am

small amount of diesel into a petrol is ok (in the sense of its not the end of the world) - put petrol in a diesel and it can cause MASSIVE issues due to the high pressure of the injectors the pump etc etc etc if you put 37 litres of petrol in then it should have diluted it quite a lot. It will take a couple of tanks to flush it all out and make sure you dont run it to empty on this tank before filling again. half a tank fill again, do that twice. Run some petrol treatment through the tank also, millers i think from memory are one of the best but failing that some redex or something similar.of course you can go for completely draining the tank and paying for someone to do it.its up to you as its your car and you should not take anything from the internet as gospel but i have seen plenty of people put a little diesel into petrol's when i was MUCH younger working in garages when at uni. no real issues. The guy who filled his brand new Navara from the nissan dealership over the road from the shell garage with £110 of petrol did regret it as he drove 6 feet and the engine packed up.good luck and let us know how you get on

CR4ZYHORSE

Post by CR4ZYHORSE » Tue May 20, 2014 9:33 pm

Of course sometimes.........
"I need your Clothes, your Boots and your Nissan Juke"

Marki

Post by Marki » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:49 pm

1 year later, my car survived the mis fuel with no ill effects - ran fine and has done ever since I just refuelled after 5 days twice then went back to normal

Miseryguts

Post by Miseryguts » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:34 am

You put a gallon of diesel in.Personally I would get the tank drained and the system flushed and a fuel filter change.2 liters or less you can get away with,more than that needs a drain and as you started the engine,a flush through.If you had not started the car and pushed it to the edge of the forecourt the tank could have been drained (I think the AA do this although I might be wrong).

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”