Nissan Juke Forum banner

Poor MPG

27K views 43 replies 15 participants last post by  actd 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,I've had my Juke almost 3 years now. its a 2011 1.5 DCI. I use to get reasonable MPG of around 50 when i did 50 miles per day commute. Im now only commuting 16 miles per day, and my MPG has dropped to 35-38ish, Which i dont think is too good for a Diesel, i may as well have a sporty petrol guzzler!Is there anything I can do to improve this?It may even be my driving style! - Should i be driving in a lower gear on Turbo, or highest gear possible at 1.5k RPM?Any advice?

#27 ·
I-key works perfectly for me......

I picked up my brand new juke on Tuesday, 6 or 7 miles on the clock (can't remember)

I put £40.20 in my 1.5 diesel juke last Tuesday, which filled it up. I've just done over 470 miles in it, and before it went to - - - - for "miles remaining" it said there was 60 odd miles left.

So for a new juke, straight from the factory for 500+ miles I'd say its pretty good.

#28 ·
my wife's ASX has keyless ignition - I can drive it off if she gets out with the key. It warns me but will keep runningbg. However, if I stop the car, I can't then restart it. I would think all are like that.

#30 ·
In the town, i average 370 per tank and ____ miles to go

On the motorway mileage and trips to my mums , 200 miles via motorway and A roads, i can get 450 and ___ miles to go..

Well pleased with that18 months old and 16k on the clock...

My last juke dci old style got 32 MPG and that was on a good day!!

#32 ·
To be honest, the miles to go reading is crap IMO - I use the mpg reading, and multiply that by 10 (10 gallon tank) and take off 5% as a safety margin, and use that with the trip meter to see what range I have left, and also keep an eye on the fuel gauge - when last bar goes, time to fill up.

#33 ·
I use these Forte products in my diesel motor home engine & can vouch for the benefits.I used to have a Nissan Figaro & the little beast needed to idle to allow the turbo to fully warm up before driving off and a minute or so just ticking over before switching off to allow the turbo dissipate the heat build up.http://www.forteuk.co.uk/product-detail/25/DPF-Cleaner-and-Regeneratorhttp://www.forteuk.co.uk/product-detail/38/Advanced-Formula-Diesel-Treatment(This is what I used in the Figaro :- http://www.forteuk.co.uk/product-detail/34/Diesel-Turbo-Cleaner
Hyperlinked
acrorat2015-04-10 09:40:44

#34 ·
Forte is good for sure. However on my car the miles to go reading is pretty accurate, it sometimes fluctuates depending on my driving but its never been wrong for me yet, when i put my £30 in it tells me to within 10 miles of what i get in the end. im gunna do a full tank reading shortly but in general i just fill £30 at a time either way my MPG is greatly improved over my 2.0 CDTi Astra.

#35 ·
Dominic wrote:Thanks Jukes for that really informative and easily understood run down on engines and choices.... I'm downsizing from my QQ to a Juke in the next few weeks. And I'm so uncertain about sticking with 1.5 diesel, or trying out the 1.2 DiG-t petrol. Currently I'm averaging 622 pcm miles. Just under 10,000pa. And whilst either engine would be fine, as ocassionly (1 /2 month) I do a motorway trip..... I need to not be tempted by the 'so called' official economy of the diesel. Having driving both today again, the petrol is very nippy and chuckable! A fund drive.... And suits me more, as 90% of my daily driving it busy town stop/start and occasional open A roads. And only me in the car so no need for lots of low down pulling power torque..... Plus the 1.2 is incredibly quite! My QQ 1.5 often sounds like a tractor! Now all i've left to decide is trim level...... Tekna or AcPrem. Not keen on leather interior, but I like all the extra technology you get in the Tekna. The easy part was colours. Already have that all picked out! lol.Anyway, thanks again, for the informative earlier post Dom.No probs Dom, hope your new buy goes well for you. If your very keen on the petrol I'd say get it simply because thats what youve set your heart and mind on so with that being true, if you were to buy the diesel instead, you'd always regret it regardless of how well or poor it performs. That takes me back to why I bought a diesel Juke, I had set my mind on buying a crossover and it had to be a diesel to suit my outdoors lifestyle of hillwalking, beach going and driving up mucky back roads aswell as motorways kinda life so if I settled for a car or a petrol, I'd never have been all that happy with it, even if it was better at filling that role lol. I do cycle a bit too and would love to bring by bike with me but the options for the juke dont look great to be honest but hey, cant have it all.. YET

#36 ·
Jukes, I carry my bike on a tow bar mounted bike carrier.
Works wel.
Currently getting mid-40's mpg commuting 6 miles Stockport to Manchester. I always planned to get a diesel and have been delighted with the engine/performance/mpg

#37 ·
So I'm just back from a holiday in which I had the opportunity to give the diesel a very decent run of mostly 6th gear cruising and check the mpg.So I put in €60 of diesel over the 4 days at €1.30 per litre so that was 46 litres of diesel (46.143) and I got 930 kilometres which is around 580 miles. I dont know what that translates to into mpg but my 1.6 petrol Citroen C4 was only doing around half that so I'm very very happy, the Juke was also a very comfortable motorway cruiser and really grown on me and proven itself. It wasnt just Motorway cruising, I was driving up steep, narrow, rocky roads with grass growing up the middle, loose and bumpy forest trails, sandy trails... all sorts lol..46 litres got 930 kilometres or 580 miles

#38 ·
MikeGC wrote:I always leave my diesel turbo ticking over for a minute when I stop for the same reason This was advice given to me with my first turbo diesel purchase, 20 years ago
Yes a good idea to do with any turbo car, more so if it has been driven hard.I always left my performance cars for at least 3 minutes after a good run out and still do.

#41 ·
Jukes wrote:46 litres got 930 kilometres or 580 miles
That's about 57 mpg - pretty respectable. The time taken for me to work that out and post it isn't so respectable
actd2015-09-04 19:32:11

#42 ·
A modern turbo doesn't need to cool down idle nowadays, they are usually water cooled, so sensible driving before you turn off, or by the time you park will have be as cools it gets.It the old school turbos that suffered on performance cars, they'd cook the oil in the bearing.All id does is waste more diesel and pollute the air, which is why they wanted to book people for sitting in idling cars.

#43 ·
I have recently had a new engine put in my 2016 juke. It is the 1.2 dig-t. It had the replacement due to the timing chain and was covered under the warranty so they replaced it with a new engine not a refurbished one. The rattle has gone but now I am really struggling to get good mpg out of it. Previously I was getting about 44mpg but now I am only getting 35. This is about a 20% decease in mpg which is quite a considerable loss. Is there something going on here? Should I take it back to Nissan and get them to check it out?
Thanks

#44 ·
Presumably it's needs running in for the first 1000 miles, and would hopefully improve after that, but you could certainly tell your dealer and make sure they note it down, so it's on record.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.