New 1.2 engine compared to old 1.6

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Marki

Post by Marki » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:35 pm

I have 62 Juke with the normal 1600 petrol engine What difference will I see if I go to the new 1.2 turbo engine ? In regards performance and mpg ?

actd

Post by actd » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:20 pm

The performance on the 1.2 is pretty nippy (once it's done a couple of thousand miles anyway) but I'm not sure you'll notice that much difference, certainly on paper I think they are broadly similar. The gearbox is very nice and the gearing quite high, so about 30mph per 1000rpm in 6th so quite relaxed on motorways, and pulls quite well in 6th (again, once run in). However, mpg isn't great - depending on how you drive it, probably around 30mpg to 40mpg (I got 30mpg overall average over 10k miles) - 48mpg on the motorway sticking to 70mph in cruise is the best I ever got, if I recall.One other thing - something I noticed, and one other on here commented recently, was that it was difficult to pull away from rest smoothly (and my dealer confirmed that a few people had commented on this) - I think the issue is the aircon kicking in and out constantly. I finally gave up with the 1.2 after just 10 months and swapped for a 16 DiG-T, so make sure you have a good test drive (with the aircon switched on) if you are thinking of changing.
2012 - Acenta Premium dCI - Gun metallic
2014 - Acenta Premium 1.2 DiG-T - Nightshade
2015 - Acenta Premium 1.6 DiG-T - Black
2017 - N-Connecta 1.6 DiG-T - Black

Paul_S

Post by Paul_S » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:12 pm

We moved from a 1.6 na to the 1.2 TIt's a world of difference IMHO. The 1.2 is noticeably quicker and with the 6th gear it is so much more relaxed at higher speeds. I think the gear change is nicer too.As for fuel economy, at 'motorway speeds' there's not a great deal of difference but around town and up to 50 zones it's a lot better (we've always run both cars in Sport mode).I can't say I've noticed it difficult to pull away smoothly. I don't use the AC unless I have to and, as I mentioned, it's always in Sport so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.
Always in 'Sport' because life's too short

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”