Speed Cameras

The place to discuss everything else..
Duncan22

Speed Cameras

Post by Duncan22 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:56 pm

Like most models of Jukes my car bleeps when nearing a fixed speed camera but the other day whilst on a route I had never used before I noticed it failed to bleep when approaching several fixed cameras.
As I understand it camera data has nothing to do with the memory card which contains the map date ( Which is up to date 2017 data on a 2018 card)

So does anyone know how the fixed camera data is updated, if it's not updated is there some way to update it ?

vexorg

Re: Speed Cameras

Post by vexorg » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:19 pm

I think it would be under POI updates. We're the same they need updating too.

Where did you get the 2017 maps from? and how did you get them on the SD card if not from Nissan?

Duncan22

Post by Duncan22 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:19 pm

@vexorg

The 2017 maps are on the 2018 card I think these maps are usually 12 months old, so if any new roads appear in your area it could be up to 12 months before they are available on the card.

I purchased mine from ebay, I think it was around £ 40. Works fine.
As you may know there are different radios/sat navs on nissan jukes depending which year your car is, some ebay sites have photos of the different sat navs so it's important to identify the correct one for your car.

actd

Post by actd » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:04 pm

You can join something like pocketgps world for £20 per year which will give you weekly updates. The problem with any POI updates you add is that they are in addition to any built in POI, which you cannot remove. The other issue with Juke camera warnings is that they don't take account of direction - for me, this was a nuisance as my route to work involves a stretch of road which has 3 cameras quite close together, with another 3 on the opposite side of the road, so because it was notifying me of all 6 cameras, and it was beeping at me for both the built in POI and also the added POI, I was getting 12 beeps in a short period, which drove me mad. Also, the later Jukes warning is only very small (early Jukes have a large message that comes up), so it wasn't worth it for me. However, if you are happy to accept these foibles, then PocketGPSworld.com is worth a look,
2012 - Acenta Premium dCI - Gun metallic
2014 - Acenta Premium 1.2 DiG-T - Nightshade
2015 - Acenta Premium 1.6 DiG-T - Black
2017 - N-Connecta 1.6 DiG-T - Black

vexorg

Post by vexorg » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:39 am

Do the POI updates get done along with the map SD card? or are they stored elsewhere?

actd

Post by actd » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:43 pm

They are done via a USB drive plugged into where you plug your music etc. There is a specific format for the file, but PocketGPSworld files provide it in the correct format. You can edit these files if you want to modify the message or add/remove records. The file is updated onto the unit when it's plugged in, so you can remove the USB once this is done.

vexorg

Post by vexorg » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:19 am

So how are the factory ones edited if the usr ones cause doubles. I'd have thought the factory ones would have been with the maps as they are not much good without the maps.

actd

Post by actd » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:37 pm

I suspect the factory ones are built into the SD card initially, but I think that the USB stick is the way to do updates, and I think if you buy the official speed camera updates from Nissan, these are also done by the USB update method. It may also be that Nissan updates are encrypted - I did have their updates for a short while, but it was a long while back (and I advise not spending your money on this). Any POIs you add are in addition to the built in ones. I did enquire whether it was possible to pay for the built in POIs to be removed - this is technically possible as they were removed in an update when it became illegal to have these in France - but Nissan wouldn't allow this on UK alerts, presumably because they knew people would use PocketGPSWorld alerts (or similar) instead of their own.

One thing that does surprise me is that I have never seen anyone do any sort of hack into the Nissan system to allow people to install their own software. I vaguely remember hearing something about it running WIndows mobile, but can't remember for certain.

One more point, I think the POIs might work without the maps. I haven't tried this in my own car, but I remember getting a camera alert when I test drove a 1.2 about 4 years ago, and they dealership had removed the map SD card, presumably to stop it being stolen if it was lent out, When you think about it, the POI is basically a lat/long so it just beeps when you are within a certain distance from it - it doesn't need the map data to be able to give the alert, it just won't show a map without the SD card.

vexorg

Post by vexorg » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:13 am

I have been looking into updates , and the SD card seems to be the issue, you need to have a map that's coded to a special ID number on the SD card, and most SD cards do not allow you to change that number. Certain samsung cards work, but the hack need to be done with linux to edit the ID.

It was starting to look a bit messy, I think ebay might be the quicker option.

actd

Post by actd » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:37 pm

to be honest, I wouldn't bother. Even the latest SD card update will probably be woefully out of date in some areas. The satnav does a reasonable job most of the time, and you can always use waze or google maps on your phone for the odd occasion where it's not good enough, and it's much cheaper.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”