Newbie With 1.6 DIG-T timing chain failure

Non-Technical Nissan Juke chat.
Deks

Post by Deks » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:29 pm

davem wrote:
Hi Ange and everyone on this forum. My juke DIG -T has recently broken down (sunday). After getting it back to my local garage i was told the Drive Chain is Broken. The car has since been taken to a Dealership near to where i live. They say that they wiil have to strip the engine to Clarify the problem. I have also phoned Nissan uk and i'm currently awaiting a "case" manger to phone me. I am absolutely livid with Nissan after seeing on various websites the amount of "Drive Chain failiures" both here and in the States. This catastophic failiure occured whilst i was just entering a dual carriageway with cars around me travelling at 60-70mph. A frightening experience when your children are in the car! Juke acenta premium 1.6 2012.
Sorry to hear about your cars failure. Don't expect Nissan to acknowledge the fault though. Since this first came to light Nissan GB/Europe have denied this problem exists despite the issue in the USA and the ever growing list of premature failures in the UK and no doubt Europe... I wonder how big this problem is given how small the forum here is compared to the number of cars sold

Debbs

Post by Debbs » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:05 pm

HI, I'm new to Forums so apologise if this is the wrong place to put this. I have a Nissan Juke Diesel, I think its called an Acenti but that might be wrong. The issue I have is that the Timing belt snapped on Saturday. The car is 12 registration and only done 48k miles. It was bought from the dealership as a "demonstrator" model and was serviced at 9k at the dealership before we took it home. I was told the service interval was 18k or 12 months. The next service was done at 30k (so 3k over interval) 13 months later, the next at 44k (6k under interval) 12 months later which was last February (2016). These last two services were done at a non dealership garage but were documented in the service schedule. The car is about 6 months out of warranty. I am in talks with Nissan about responsibility and it would appear it depends on whether or not there is evidence that the part failed due to being faulty as opposed to neglect on our part or just wore out. To be fair Nissan's customer service has been good so far, unlike the Dealership which has been rude, arrogant and unhelpful. The reason for the post is that I understand that this could be a issue in a number of Jukes. I know about the USA recall (although limited to Japanese engines). I'm trying to find out if this is an issue in the UK not limited to Petrol or Diesel engines (ie could it just be a batch of faulty timing belts? I'm going to put an appeal out on Facebook also but would be grateful for any info that the Forum members could give me.

MikeGC

Post by MikeGC » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:27 pm

Sorry to hear your bad news but afraid I can't offer anything other than my sympathy
MikeGC
1.5dci gunmetal grey ascenta premium with red exterior/interior packs

Deks

Post by Deks » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:15 pm

Debbs wrote:HI, I'm new to Forums so apologise if this is the wrong place to put this. I have a Nissan Juke Diesel, I think its called an Acenti but that might be wrong. The issue I have is that the Timing belt snapped on Saturday. The car is 12 registration and only done 48k miles. It was bought from the dealership as a "demonstrator" model and was serviced at 9k at the dealership before we took it home. I was told the service interval was 18k or 12 months. The next service was done at 30k (so 3k over interval) 13 months later, the next at 44k (6k under interval) 12 months later which was last February (2016). These last two services were done at a non dealership garage but were documented in the service schedule. The car is about 6 months out of warranty. I am in talks with Nissan about responsibility and it would appear it depends on whether or not there is evidence that the part failed due to being faulty as opposed to neglect on our part or just wore out. To be fair Nissan's customer service has been good so far, unlike the Dealership which has been rude, arrogant and unhelpful. The reason for the post is that I understand that this could be a issue in a number of Jukes. I know about the USA recall (although limited to Japanese engines). I'm trying to find out if this is an issue in the UK not limited to Petrol or Diesel engines (ie could it just be a batch of faulty timing belts? I'm going to put an appeal out on Facebook also but would be grateful for any info that the Forum members could give me.
Really sorry to here about your issue. However this topic is about the known fault with the petrol DIG-t engine and not the diesel. To the best of my knowledge there is no know fault with the diesel timing belt.. Wish you luck in coming to an amicable agreement with Nissan for repairs. I would suggest that you seek out a price from an independent garage as well as experience tells me Nissan may offer goodwill on some of the repair button all but will expect the work to be done by a Nissan dealer

Debbs

Post by Debbs » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:34 am

Hi many thanks. I think we're going to go to an independent garage. Nissan have said that will consider what they will offer after a diagnostic test, which we have to pay for. I've got a feeling that it would still probably be cheaper to have it done independently then at the dealership with a contribution from Nissan. What a shame as I've really loved my Juke.

Nt1990

Re: Newbie With 1.6 DIG-T timing chain failure

Post by Nt1990 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:15 pm

Big bump but it's relevant.
My 2011 1.6 dig t made this horrible noise under acceleration which came from the timing chain area and it would seem to mis fire when stationary. Took it to nissan and told them the noise was potential timing chain failure. They did a health check and found the drive belt pulley tensioner has excessive play and the belt was slightly cut so they paid the £250 for that to be fixed then the technician got in it to bring it back to me and he wasn't happy with the engine noise. They got my supplying dealer to pay the £70 diagnostics cost and then got diagnosed as a stretched timing chain cause by the tensioner seizing. Claimed under the nissan extended warranty and they had to send an assessor out because obviously the cost is well I'm excess of £1000. It's took about 10 days but I should finally have my car back to me tomorrow fully fixed with around £1600 worth of repairs done.

actd

Post by actd » Tue May 08, 2018 9:23 pm

What has actually been replaced - the timing chain tensioner and the timing chain? If that's all, £1600 sounds like one hell of a bill to do this! I think there was also a recall for timing chain tensioners to be replaced on the 2011-2013 models - I'd check to see if your has been done, if not, then I would claim back any excess you might have had to pay.
2012 - Acenta Premium dCI - Gun metallic
2014 - Acenta Premium 1.2 DiG-T - Nightshade
2015 - Acenta Premium 1.6 DiG-T - Black
2017 - N-Connecta 1.6 DiG-T - Black
2016 - Audi TT 2.0 TFSI S-Tronic - White

Annie P

Post by Annie P » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:15 am

Another here with a timing chain related catastrophic engine failure in an early 2016 Juke.

Nissan Customer Services deny an inherent fault (of course) but the dealership, Ancaster Nissan, admitted it.

Three thousand pounds plus for a new engine guaranteed for only one year. Will this engine have the same fault?

How can Nissan get away with this?

actd

Post by actd » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:13 pm

Surely, if it's an early 2016 Juke, it should still be under the 3 year warranty?
2012 - Acenta Premium dCI - Gun metallic
2014 - Acenta Premium 1.2 DiG-T - Nightshade
2015 - Acenta Premium 1.6 DiG-T - Black
2017 - N-Connecta 1.6 DiG-T - Black
2016 - Audi TT 2.0 TFSI S-Tronic - White

mkone

Post by mkone » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:36 pm

Hi unfortunately I have now become a victim of catastrophic engine failure due to the timing chain fault I have a 2011 juke 1.6 dig-t with 40k on clock this vehicle was £23.000.00 new. I am now stuck without a car. I have logged a complaint with NISSAN UK and am waiting for them to call me back I am not going to be holding out for much as its 8 years old this year but with very low mileage this puts this car at a depreciation rate of £4000 per year. Its a shame as both me and my wife both loved driving this car. this whole experience with this car has left us both wanting we were going to trade it in for a new model next year this is totally out of the question now. Heres waiting to see what NISSAN UK will be saying about the matter.

Return to “Main Juke Discussion”