HELP!! Bonnet won’t open tried Everything

Got a problem, look here to see if its known or let others know of the issue
Discountqueen

HELP!! Bonnet won’t open tried Everything

Post by Discountqueen » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:31 am

Hi,
I’m new to the forum. I opened the bonnet like normal to double check which air con gas it needs as a garage had told me it was the old 124 stuff but it’s 134. Anyway opened it to check usedthe usually pull switch popped up like usual. Closed bonnet like normal went to open on Sunday and switch pulled no bonnet pop to open cable seems loose and not taught like before. We tried all fixes we looked on line to no avail. Just taken to Nissan and the can’t get it open said they will need to force it open. It’s a 62 plate Nissan and I’ve had some issues when I bought it new 7 years ago but with the dashboard and radio (that’s another thread) Has anyone else had this type of issues they seemed very baffled at Nissan and booked it in to force it open when it goes in for its service and MOT in 12 days time

Bernie

Re: HELP!! Bonnet won’t open tried Everything

Post by Bernie » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:18 pm

Hi Discountqueen, Welcome to the forum and this is a new one for me, When they say that they will force it open I presume they will do it from under the bonnet. Please let us know the outcome.
Its only a Juke if it's RED.

vexorg

Post by vexorg » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:22 pm

The usual would be to bounce on the front of the bonnet as someone tries to pull the lever.

If it's broken at the lever then it might need the wire directly pulled.
If it's broken at the catch end, or anywhere in between, then it might mean wrecking the front grill to get into the catch.

Discountqueen

Post by Discountqueen » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:14 pm

Thanks @vexorg. We’ve tried bouncing on the bonnet and pulling the cable with a pair of pliers. Its so frustrating as something must be caught somewhere to open it.

Duncan22

Post by Duncan22 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:15 pm

Is there any resistance on the cable when you pull it ? Have you tried pulling the cable whilst someone else is pushing down on the bonnet.
A squirt of WD 40 will do no harm most tins come with a fine tube which will slip under the bonnet.
Do you have a old metal clothes hanger ? Bend one end up one inch at 90 degrees, if this will fit under the bonnet you might be able to turn it under the catch lever.

Return to “Faults and Fixes”