Grinding Noise Traction Control

Got a problem, look here to see if its known or let others know of the issue
Munki

Grinding Noise Traction Control

Post by Munki » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:02 am

Hey all! Im looking for some advice.

I recently had my 1.6 DigT in for a service and MOT, it ended up needing work done on the exhaust, new rear brake pads and near side wishbone. Now when I'm driving it i get get a grinding noise, as if I've missed putting it in gear (but i haven't) and the traction control light appears on the dash. This usually only happens in 3rd onwards and as soon as the noise stops the light goes off. I can feel it effect the steering and it cause a slight drop in power, as if its being held back for a second. This can happen on both straights and corners, but feels more active when turning. It doesn't happen when braking but can happen when accelerating or keeping it in gear but taking your foot off the accelerator.

I took it back to the garage and explained this but they told me its just the new brake pads wearing in and to give it a few days it should go away. Im going for a good drive out today to see if it makes a difference but so far doing the usual commute hasn't changed anything,

Would you agree its the brakes or does it sound like something else?

vexorg

Re: Grinding Noise Traction Control

Post by vexorg » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:20 pm

If they done the pads only then some noise is possible as there can be a lip or rusty part that didn't like up with the previous pads. Usually it would be gone by the first journey or two (depending on how long the journey is).

The TC is more of a worry, sounds like they done something to the sensor wiring or ABS sensor itself.
Last edited by vexorg on Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bernie

Post by Bernie » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:50 pm

Hi Munki, Welcome to the forum, Is it a Nissan dealer who did the service on your juke ??
If it is then take it back and tell them that your brakes should NOT make a grinding noise even with new pads, It takes 2 seconds to remove the lip on your disc's and there should be NO bedding in needed.
If its a Nissan dealer then phone Nissan customer services and complain to them.
Its only a Juke if it's RED.

Munki

Post by Munki » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:11 am

It's not a Nissan dealer its just a regular garage. I took it back to them again, explaining everything all over again and after having the car for around 8 hours they finally phoned me and said its not the brakes. They can hear the noise and have felt the car pulling when the TC lights up but they don't know what it is. They told me they've rechecked everything they have done and cleaned it all down but they don't know why its happening. They made sure to assure me its nothing they could have done and they don't know why it has started, even though its never had this issue until the day i got it back.

The only thing they said was it could be the ABS Pump? but they would need to put it on diagnostics to see the issue.

After doing some more research online i decided to drive the car with the TC switched off and its perfect, the problems start when i turn the TC back on.

Im going to run it for a few days with the TC off and see if it helps, otherwise i'll be putting it into a different garage for the diagnostics.

Duncan22

Post by Duncan22 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:14 pm

If your car has rear calipers with electronic sensors in them when the pads are replaced the sensors will need resetting.
Failure to reset them might show a number of things such as brake warning light on and/or affect traction control.
Might be worth a phone call to the garage just to check they have reset them ?

vexorg

Post by vexorg » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:08 pm

What sensors are in the rear calipers?

Duncan22

Post by Duncan22 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:09 pm

I do not have a 1.6 Digt so am unsure of the system in that model, my post was a more general comment and may not even apply to Nissan cars but felt it was worth @Munki checking it out.
As they say if your car will not start you have a problem, if it will not stop you have a even bigger problem.
Your life depends on your brakes, personally I would get a Nissan dealer to check the problem out.....what is your life worth ?

vexorg

Post by vexorg » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:25 am

I'm about to do the pads, and probably discs at the same time, just wondering if the juke had something odd with sensors.

Return to “Faults and Fixes”